Deformation of contour of integration or shifting poles

In summary, when computing a contour integral, one can deform the contour of integration or shift the poles of the integrand by a small imaginary term in order to avoid passing through the poles. This is justified by the fact that in the limit as the shift tends to zero, the result is equivalent to deforming the contour. However, if the pole is shifted from inside to outside the contour, there will be a discrete difference in the result. Therefore, shifting the poles is analogous to deforming the contour as long as they do not pass through each other.
Frank Castle
As I understand it, in order to compute a contour integral one can deform the contour of integration, such that it doesn't pass through any poles of the integrand, and the result is identical to that found using the original contour of integration considered. However, I have seen applications (particularly in QFT) where one considers an integral on the real axis, and instead of deforming the contour of integration, one shifts the poles of the integrand by a small positive/negative imaginary term in such a way that they don't pass through the contour. Is the justification for this that it is simply a convient trick that is equivalent to deforming the integration contour in the limit as the shift tends to zero and hence leads to the same result for the integral?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Frank Castle said:
As I understand it, in order to compute a contour integral one can deform the contour of integration, such that it doesn't pass through any poles of the integrand, and the result is identical to that found using the original contour of integration considered. However, I have seen applications (particularly in QFT) where one considers an integral on the real axis, and instead of deforming the contour of integration, one shifts the poles of the integrand by a small positive/negative imaginary term in such a way that they don't pass through the contour. Is the justification for this that it is simply a convient trick that is equivalent to deforming the integration contour in the limit as the shift tends to zero and hence leads to the same result for the integral?

Yes. Shifting the pole by [itex]\epsilon[/itex] makes no difference to the integral in the limit as [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex], EXCEPT in the case where the pole is changed from being inside the contour to outside the contour. In this latter case, shifting the pole makes a discrete difference that doesn't vanish in the limit.

The most basic case is [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{z} dz[/itex]. You can argue that that integral is zero, since [itex]\frac{1}{z}[/itex] is odd, and so the integral for the region [itex]z < 0[/itex] cancels the integral for [itex]z > 0[/itex]. But if you shift the pole by [itex]\pm i \epsilon[/itex], you get [itex]\pm \pi i[/itex]. Shifting the pole by [itex]+i \epsilon[/itex] gives the same result as making a little counterclockwise semicircular detour around the pole, and shifting the pole by [itex]-i \epsilon[/itex] gives the same result as a clockwise detour.

Likes FactChecker
stevendaryl said:
Yes. Shifting the pole by ϵϵ\epsilon makes no difference to the integral in the limit as ϵ→0ϵ→0\epsilon \rightarrow 0, EXCEPT in the case where the pole is changed from being inside the contour to outside the contour. In this latter case, shifting the pole makes a discrete difference that doesn't vanish in the limit.

So is it essentially analogous to deforming the contour, in the sense that one can deforming the contour as long as one doesn't pass through the poles. In this case, one can shift the poles as long as they don't pass through the contour?!

1. What is meant by the deformation of contour of integration?

Deformation of contour of integration involves changing the path of integration in a complex plane. This is typically done to simplify the calculation of a complex integral by avoiding singularities or branch points.

2. Why is it necessary to deform the contour of integration?

Sometimes, the original path of integration may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. Deforming the contour allows us to avoid these difficulties and ultimately obtain a solution.

3. How does deforming the contour affect the value of the integral?

Deforming the contour does not change the value of the integral as long as the new contour does not enclose any additional poles or singularities. This is known as the Cauchy-Goursat theorem.

4. What are shifting poles and how do they relate to the deformation of contour of integration?

Shifting poles refer to the process of moving a pole (singularity) of a complex function to a different location in the complex plane. This can be done to simplify the calculation of a complex integral by avoiding the pole or choosing a better contour for integration.

5. Are there any precautions to take when deforming the contour of integration?

Yes, when deforming the contour, it is important to ensure that the new contour does not cross any branch cuts or enclose any additional poles or singularities. Additionally, the new contour should still be closed and the original integrand should remain analytic within the new contour.