Using Contour Integration with no singularity

In summary, the conversation discusses using contour methods to evaluate integrals involving complex functions. It is suggested to use the Residue theorem and set the integral over a semi-circular contour to zero, but this approach is deemed incorrect. The conversation then explores different possible contours, such as a rectangle or an annulus, and suggests changing variables to simplify the integration. Eventually, it is concluded that deforming the 1-dimensional contour is sufficient to evaluate the integral, with the final answer being expressed in terms of a constant determined by the given values of k and delta.
QFT25

Homework Statement

Using contour methods, evaluate the following integrals. In any case in which you wish to argue that some portion of a closed contour gives a negligible contribution, you should explain why that is so.

Integral[E^I(k+delta*I)x^2 dx from negative Infinity to Infinity]

as Delta tends toward positive zero.

Homework Equations

Residue theorem which states that the the Integral of a complex function over a closed contour equals 2*Pi*I times the sum of all of it's residues which are determined by singular points.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any singularities in the integrand so I initially thought I can still use a semi circular contour and set the integral over that contour to zero. That way the integral over the real line would equal negative integral of the semi circle. But when I do that I get an exponential to the exponential which I cannot integrate. That leads me to think that my approach is wrong. I never saw an integral like this before so I'm sort of at a lost where to start. Any help will be appreciated. Note this is for a Mathematical Physics class, not a proof based complex analysis class. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need a singularity. Integrate on a closed contour with 4 sections. The integral will be zero since the are no singularities.
Integral=Integral1+Integral2+Integral3+Integral4
Choose the contour so that if it is made big two parts approach 0 and the other two establish
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \! e^{\imath(k+\delta\imath)x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x=C\int_{-\infty}^\infty \! e^{-\delta x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x$$
For a constant C you will determine in terms of k and delta.
Then try to do the integral without k.
It is well known and can be done using contour integration though other ways are easier.

Likes QFT25
lurflurf said:
You do not need a singularity. Integrate on a closed contour with 4 sections. The integral will be zero since the are no singularities.
Integral=Integral1+Integral2+Integral3+Integral4
Choose the contour so that if it is made big two parts approach 0 and the other two establish
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \! e^{\imath(k+\delta\imath)x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x=C\int_{-\infty}^\infty \! e^{-\delta x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x$$
For a constant C you will determine in terms of k and delta.
Then try to do the integral without k.
It is well known and can be done using contour integration though other ways are easier.
Would the contour be some type of annulus or look like the contour of a branch cut?

Oh wait what about a rectangle? Is that the contour?

It is possible to make it a rectangle or other shapes like a trapezoid or two triangles. One obvious one is

$$0=\left(\int_{-\infty}^\infty+\int_{\infty}^{\infty\sqrt{\frac{\delta\imath}{k+\delta\imath}}}+\int_{\infty\sqrt{\frac{\delta\imath}{k+\delta\imath}}}^{-\infty\sqrt{\frac{\delta\imath}{k+\delta\imath}}}+\int_{-\infty\sqrt{\frac{\delta\imath}{k+\delta\imath}}}^{-\infty}\right) \! e^{\imath(k+\delta\imath)x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x$$

Likes QFT25
lurflurf said:
It is possible to make it a rectangle or other shapes like a trapezoid or two triangles. One obvious one is

$$0=\left(\int_{-\infty}^\infty+\int_{\infty}^{\infty\sqrt{\frac{\delta\imath}{k+\delta\imath}}}+\int_{\infty\sqrt{\frac{\delta\imath}{k+\delta\imath}}}^{-\infty\sqrt{\frac{\delta\imath}{k+\delta\imath}}}+\int_{-\infty\sqrt{\frac{\delta\imath}{k+\delta\imath}}}^{-\infty}\right) \! e^{\imath(k+\delta\imath)x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x$$
Did you do change of variables to get those bounds? I'm trying to make a rectangle and I am able to show that the vertical legs go to zero and then I get the two horizontal parts equal to each other. f(z)=(z+i*b) where b is a constant. But then I get stuck because I don't know what to pick as b.

Yes that's it we change variables then argue any infinite limits will do
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-s x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x=$$
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{s}}\int_{-\infty \sqrt{s}}^{\infty \sqrt{s}} \! e^{-u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u=$$
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{s}} \left( \int_{-\infty \sqrt{s}}^{-\infty } +\int_{-\infty }^{\infty } +\int_{\infty }^{\infty \sqrt{s}} \right) \! e^{-u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u=$$
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{s}}\int_{-\infty }^{\infty } \! e^{-u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u$$

so for your problem let s^2=k+delta*I and suitably restricted
argue two of the three integrals with sqrt{s} in the limits are small

QFT25 said:
Did you do change of variables to get those bounds? I'm trying to make a rectangle and I am able to show that the vertical legs go to zero and then I get the two horizontal parts equal to each other. f(z)=(z+i*b) where b is a constant. But then I get stuck because I don't know what to pick as b.

I will write ##a+ib## instead of ##k + i \delta##, so you have ##\lim_{R \to \infty} I_R##, where
$$I_R = \int_R^R e^{-(b-ia) x^2} \, dx$$
with ##b > 0##. If you change variables to ##z = x \sqrt{b-ia}## then (setting ##u-iv = \sqrt{b-ia}##) we have ##I_R = 1/\sqrt{b-ia}\: J_R## where
$$J_R = \int_{-(u-iv) R}^{(u-iv) R} e^{-z^2} \, dz.$$
We can write
$$J_R = A_R+B_R+ \int_{-uR}^{uR} e^{-z^2} \, dz,\\
A_R = \int_{-(u-iv)R}^{-uR} e^{-z^2} \, dz, \\ B_R = \int_{uR}^{(u+iv)R} e^{-z^2} \, dz$$.
In ##A_R## we have ##z = -Ru -iy, 0 \leq y \leq R|v|##. Thus
$$|e^{-z^2}|= |e^{-R^2 u^2 + y^2} e^{-2Ruyi}| \leq |e^{-(R^2u^2-R^2 v^2)}| = e^{-R^2 b},$$
so ##|A_R| \leq R|v| e^{-b R^2} \to 0## as ##R \to \infty##. Similarly, ##|B_R| \to 0##. Thus, the answer is
$$\text{answer} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{b-ia}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^2} \, dz.$$

There no need to look for a closed contour; just deforming the 1-dimensional contour is good enough.

Last edited:

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate complex integrals by transforming them into simpler line integrals along a closed path in the complex plane.

2. What does it mean to use contour integration with no singularity?

Using contour integration with no singularity means that the closed path chosen does not contain any singularities, or points where the function being integrated is undefined.

3. Why is it useful to use contour integration with no singularity?

Contour integration with no singularity is useful because it allows us to evaluate complex integrals that are otherwise difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

4. How do you choose the appropriate contour for contour integration with no singularity?

The appropriate contour for contour integration with no singularity is typically chosen based on the properties of the function being integrated and the location of any singularities. In general, the contour should avoid all singularities and be well-behaved, such as a circle or rectangle.

5. Can contour integration with no singularity be used for any type of function?

Contour integration with no singularity is not applicable to all functions. It is best suited for functions that are analytic, meaning they have a continuous derivative. Additionally, the contour must avoid all singularities, so it may not be useful for functions with infinite or essential singularities.