Degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the Hamiltonian, operators J and J_1, and the equations H = 2J + 1 and J^2 = J_1^2 + J_2^2 + J_3^2 = J(J+1) are used to discuss the degeneracy of the eigenvalues of H. Using the analogy to angular momentum, it is found that the eigenvalues of J^2 and J_3 can be given separate quantum numbers, leading to a finite range of m values with the same energy. This demonstrates that the eigenvalues of H are degenerate with respect to the eigenstates of J^2.
silverwhale

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian is given by:
[tex] H = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1,2}[p_i^2 + q_i^2] [/tex]
We define the following operators:
[tex] J = \frac{1}{2} (a_1^+ a_1 + a_2^+ a_2) [/tex]
[tex] J_1 = \frac{1}{2} (a_2^+ a_1 + a_1^+ a_2) [/tex]
[tex] J = \frac{i}{2} (a_2^+ a_1 - a_1^+ a_2) [/tex]
[tex] J = \frac{1}{2} (a_1^+ a_1 - a_2^+ a_2) [/tex]

I have shown previosly that [tex] \textbf{J}^2=J_1^2 + J_2^2 + J_3^2 = J(J+1) [/tex]

The question: Using this result (the one above), discuss what is the degeneracy of the eigenvalues of H.

Homework Equations

[tex] H = 2J + 1 [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{J}^2=J_1^2 + J_2^2 + J_3^2 = J(J+1) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought just saying that [tex] [H, \textbf{J}^2] = 0 [/tex] would be enough to say that the eigenvalues of H are degenerate with respect to the eigenstates of [tex] \textbf{J}^2 [/tex]. But I am not sure if this is enough, can I calculate the degeneracy of the eigenvalues of H just using the equations found above?

Physics news on Phys.org
One makes an analogy to angular momentum. So one does something like
$$J_{\pm} = J_1 \pm i J_2 $$
and find that
$$[J_+, J_3] = J_+ $$
$$[J_-, J_3] = -J_- $$
One also finds that ##[J_3, J^2] = 0## so one can give the eigenvalues of ##J^2## and ##J_3## a separate quantum number, so the eigenvalues of the two operators are ##j(j+1)## and ##m##, respectively.
So from this we obtain $$J_3J_+\mid j m \rangle = (m+1) J_+\mid j m \rangle $$
$$ J_+\mid j m \rangle = \alpha_{jm+}\mid j m+1 \rangle$$
and similiarly for ##J_-##. Also since ##[J_\pm, J^2] = 0##, one gets that ##J_\pm\mid j m \rangle## has the same energy eigenvalue as ##\mid j m \rangle##
To find the degeneracy one calculates ##\left| J_\pm\mid j m \rangle\right|^2 = |\alpha_{jm\pm}|^2## and notice that if one tries to exceed a particular range of ##m## one just gets ##\alpha=0##. So there is a finite range of ##m## with the same energy. Let me know if that helps.

Last edited:

1. What is the degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator?

The degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator refers to the number of energy levels that have the same energy value. In other words, it is the number of different quantum states that have the same energy.

2. How is the degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator calculated?

The degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator can be calculated using the formula degeneracy = (n+1)(n+2)/2, where n is the principal quantum number.

3. What is the significance of degeneracy in a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator?

The degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator plays an important role in understanding the energy levels and quantum states of the system. It also helps in predicting the behavior of the system under different conditions.

4. Can the degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator be broken?

Yes, the degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator can be broken under certain conditions, such as the introduction of an external magnetic or electric field. This results in the splitting of energy levels and a decrease in the degeneracy.

5. How does the degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator change with increasing energy levels?

The degeneracy of a 2-dimensional isotropic Harmonic Oscillator decreases with increasing energy levels. As the energy levels become higher, the number of quantum states with the same energy decreases, resulting in a decrease in degeneracy.