The propagator of eigenstates of the Total Angular Momentum

In summary: What operator do you think you could apply to it? You've been given a hint: What does ##J^2## do to ##|jm \rangle##? And what does that mean for the action of ##J^2## on a function of ##J_z## times ##|jm \rangle##? You probably learned this when you were doing commutators and such, right?In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between the vanishing of the propagator and the commutator between the angular momentum squared and the Hamiltonian operator. It was shown that when the commutator is equal to zero, the propagator will also vanish unless the angular momentum quantum numbers are equal. The
mathsisu97
Homework Statement
What is the explicit expression of the propagator for a particle in a magnetic field along with z-axis
Relevant Equations
## H = \omega J_z ##
##J^2 |jm> = \hbar^2 j(j+1) |jm>##
##J_z |jm> = \hbar m |jm > ##
To show that when ##[J^2, H]=0 ## the propagator vanishes unless ##j_1 = j_2## , I did (##\hbar =1##)
$$ K(j_1, m_1, j_2 m_2; t) = [jm, e^{-iHt}]= e^{iHt} (e^{iHt} jm e^{-iHt}) - e^{-iHt} jm $$
$$ = e^{iHt}[jm_H - jm] $$
So we have
$$ \langle j_1 m_1 | [jm, e^{-iHt} ] | j_2 m_2 \rangle $$
$$ = (j_1 m_1 - j_2 m_2) \langle j_1 m_1 | e^{-iHt} | j_2 m_2 \rangle $$
$$ = \langle j_1 m_1 | e^{-iHt} [ jm_H -jm] | j_2 m_2 \rangle $$
$$ \frac{d jm_H}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar} [ H, jm_H] $$
Thus
$$ jm_H = jm $$
And
$$ (j_1 m_1 - j_2 m_2) \langle j_1 m_1 | e^{-iHt} | j_2 m_2 \rangle = \langle j_1 m_1 | e^{-iHt} | j_2 m_2 \rangle $$
$$ (j_1 m_1 - j_2 m_2) K(j_1 m_1, j_2 m_2; t) =0 $$
So the propagator vanishes unless ##j_1 = j_2##
b) Splitting the time evolution
$$ \langle j m_1 | e^{-iHt} | j m_2 \rangle = \langle | e^{-iH(t-t_1)} e^{-iHt_1} | j m_2 \rangle $$
In the continuous (usual) case we have
$$ K(x,t,x', 0) = \int dx'' K(x,t, x'', t_1) K(x'', t_1, x', 0) $$
In the discrete case this is simply just a sum
$$ K(x,t,x', 0) = \sum K(x,t, x'', t_1) K(x'', t_1, x', 0) $$
$$ = K (t-t_1) K(t_1) $$
I am stuck on part c (see attached file) where I need to show that when
$$ H= \omega J_z $$
for a particle in a magnetic field, what is the propagator?

Attachments

• Q3.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make sense of what you wrote as solution for (a).

Hint: Assuming ##[\hat{H},\hat{J}^2]=0##, what is
$$\hat{J}^2 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t)|j,m \rangle?$$

For (b) it's ok.

For (c) just check, what ##\hat{J}_z## does when applied to ##|jm \rangle## and what does this mean for an arbitrary function ##f(\hat{J}_z)## when applied to this angular-momentum eigenvector.

Likes mathsisu97
For part (a) I see what you are hinting at. I still do not understand part (c) or what you have said. Applying ## J_z ## to ##|jm>## gives the eigenstates. I am trying to draw parallel with the free particle propagator but not getting anywhere.

It should be clear that ##\hat{J}_z |j m \rangle=m |j m \rangle##. Now think what this implies for ##f(\hat{J}_z) |j m \rangle## with ##f## an arbitrary function of ##\hat{J}_z##!

Likes mathsisu97
Ahh yes sorry! I already had that ##\vec{J}^2 |jm \rangle = \hbar^2j(j+1) |jm \rangle ## and ##\vec{J}_z |jm \rangle = \hbar m|jm \rangle ## . I know that for the orbital angular momentum quantum numbers ##L## and ##L_z## we get the Spherical Harmonics from which we can derive the Legendre functions, does the same apply here?

It's much simpler! You don't need the explicit calulation of the ##|jm \rangle## states in position space (which are of course the spherical harmonics, if you deal with orbital angular momentum. You can calculate the propagator very simply here. Think again, what's ##f(\hat{J}_z)|jm \rangle## and then set $$f(\hat{J}_z)=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega \hat{J}_z)$$.

Note that I assume everywhere that we use units with ##\hbar=1## (just being lazy writing all the ##\hbar## factors ;-)).

Likes mathsisu97
A function of the ##J_z## is a rotation? Sorry for not getting the point! I am currently looking back on my notes on Total Angular momentum and not see what youre are getting at with the arbitrary function application. Thanks for all the help so far

It's very simple! You know that ##\hat{J}_z |jm \rangle=m |j m \rangle##. Now think about ##f(\hat{J}_z) |j m \rangle##. You can start by thinking about ##f(\hat{J}_z)=\hat{J}_z^k## (with ##k \in \mathbb{N}##) and then about a operator-valued Taylor expansion ##f(\hat{J}_z)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} \hat{J}_z^k##. At the end apply the result to ##f(\hat{J}_z)=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t \hat{J}_z)##.

Likes mathsisu97
So we get
$$ f(\vec{J}_z) | jm \rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} \vec{J}_z^k |jm \rangle $$
$$ = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} m^k |jm \rangle $$
So the propagator is
$$ = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} m^k |jm \rangle = \exp(-i \omega t \vec{J}_z) $$
Doesn't quite seem right or at least the full answer.
Edit:
The LHS is simply just the exponential function? Therefore
$$ = \exp(m) = \exp(-i \omega t \vec{J}_z) $$
$$ m = -i \omega t \vec{J}_z? $$

mathsisu97 said:
So we get
$$ f(\vec{J}_z) | jm \rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} \vec{J}_z^k |jm \rangle $$
Watch out, your exponent is not just ##J_z## (by the way, there is no vector symbol here), right? It is
##-i \omega t J_z##, so you need to correct slightly what you wrote here.

$$ = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} m^k |jm \rangle $$
The next step that vanhees71 was pointing to is this. Let's take what you wrote just above (again, it has to be changed because of the factor ##-i \omega t ## so that you have
$$ = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} (-i \omega t m)^k |jm \rangle .$$
Now, you just have an ordinary function of time (not an operator) multiplying a ket, so you can just think of this as
$$ \Biggl( \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} (-i \omega t m)^k \Biggr) |jm \rangle .$$
Now you can do the sum inside the parenthesis, right? Next, you will apply on this the appropriate bra to finally get the propagator. Note that the expression in the parenthesis is not an operator, so when you apply a bra, it will directly get applied on the ket.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the propagator of eigenstates of the Total Angular Momentum?

The propagator of eigenstates of the Total Angular Momentum is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of a system with a fixed total angular momentum. It represents the probability amplitude for a particle to transition from one eigenstate of the total angular momentum to another over a certain period of time.

2. How is the propagator of eigenstates of the Total Angular Momentum calculated?

The propagator is calculated using the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the total angular momentum operator, as well as the time evolution operator. It involves a complex integration over all possible paths between the initial and final states of the system.

3. What is the significance of the propagator of eigenstates of the Total Angular Momentum in quantum mechanics?

The propagator plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems with fixed total angular momentum. It allows us to calculate the probability of a system transitioning from one state to another over time, which is essential in predicting and analyzing experimental results.

4. Can the propagator of eigenstates of the Total Angular Momentum be used for systems with varying total angular momentum?

No, the propagator is specifically designed for systems with fixed total angular momentum. For systems with varying total angular momentum, a different propagator must be used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the propagator of eigenstates of the Total Angular Momentum?

Yes, the propagator is used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and atomic physics to study and understand the behavior of particles with fixed total angular momentum. It is also used in quantum computing and in predicting the behavior of complex systems such as atoms and molecules.