Delay Distortion: Velocity of Propagation Varies with Freq.

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delay
In summary, according to W. Stallings, delay distortion occurs when the velocity of a signal through a guided medium varies with frequency. This can be caused by cheaper cable quality, and is worse in cables with dispersion.
gnome
I read (in W. Stallings "Data & Computer Communications") that
delay distortion occurs because the velocity of propagation of a signal through a guided medium varies with frequency. For a bandlimited signal, the velocity tends to be highest near the center frequency and fall off toward the two edges of the band.
Does that second sentence make sense? That seems to imply that if, for example, several signals of, say, 6 MHz bandwidth each are multiplexed in a cable, so maybe one signal is in a 1-7 MHz range, and another is at 10-16 MHz, and another at 19-25 MHz, that the portions of the signals at 4 MHz and 13 MHz and 22 MHz would be propagating faster than the frequencies in between these levels. (I have no idea whether or not these specific numbers are realistic; I'm just using them as an arbitrary example.) Why would the signal velocities vary up-down-up-down-up-down... as frequency increases?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know what medium Stallings is referring to. For many data communications cables, you can look up the propagation velocity versus frequency. The general effect is called "dispersion", and is worse in cheaper grade cables.

Is there anyplace online where I can find this info for some "representative" coax cable, twisted pair and optical fiber media.

Thanks berkeman. The Belden website gives "nominal velocity of propagation" for many of their electrical cables, but I didn't find any more detailed info -- nothing that shows how the velocity might vary by frequency. I'll just have to keep looking. Please post if you come across any info of that nature.

1. What is delay distortion?

Delay distortion is a phenomenon that occurs when signals travel through a medium at different speeds. This results in a delay between different frequencies, causing the signal to be distorted.

2. How does velocity of propagation affect delay distortion?

The velocity of propagation refers to the speed at which a signal travels through a medium. When the velocity of propagation varies with frequency, it causes the signal to be delayed at different rates, resulting in delay distortion.

3. What factors can cause velocity of propagation to vary with frequency?

The velocity of propagation can be affected by several factors such as the type of medium the signal is traveling through, the temperature, and the presence of obstacles or interference along the signal path.

4. How can delay distortion be minimized?

To minimize delay distortion, the signal can be equalized, meaning that the delay of the signal's different frequencies is adjusted to be more consistent. This can be achieved through the use of equalization filters or other signal processing techniques.

5. Why is delay distortion important in communication systems?

Delay distortion can cause signal degradation and affect the quality of communication systems, leading to errors and loss of data. It is important to understand and minimize delay distortion in order to ensure reliable and accurate communication.