Delivering a Package by Air

• Thread starter 1man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the problem involves finding the final speed (v_f) of a package dropped from an airplane flying at a constant speed of 260 mph at an altitude of 750 m. Using the kinematic equations, we can determine that the final speed is approximately 283.84 mph.
1man
A relief airplane is delivering a food package to a group of people stranded on a very small island. The island is too small for the plane to land on, and the only way to deliver the package is by dropping it. The airplane flies horizontally with constant speed of 260 mph at an altitude of 750 m. The positive x and y directions are defined in the figure. For all parts, assume that the "island" refers to the point at a distance D from the point at which the package is released, as shown in the figure. Ignore the height of this point above sea level. Assume that the acceleration due to gravity is g = 9.80 m/s^2.

What is the speed v_f of the package when it hits the ground?
Express your answer numerically in miles per hour.

i know the problem requires sqrt((v_0-v_1)2+(g*sqrt(2h/g))2)

i got 2395.6 but i want someone to check my answer for me thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I'm not sure where you got the formula you mentioned, as it seems to be missing some variables and doesn't match the given information in the problem. The correct formula to use in this situation is the kinematic equation: v_f = v_0 + at, where v_f is the final velocity, v_0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

In this case, we can assume that the initial velocity (v_0) of the package is the same as the horizontal speed of the airplane, which is 260 mph. The acceleration (a) is the acceleration due to gravity, which is given as 9.80 m/s^2. To solve for the final velocity (v_f), we need to find the time (t) it takes for the package to fall from the release point to the ground.

To find the time, we can use the kinematic equation: h = v_0t + (1/2)at^2, where h is the height (750 m) and v_0 is the initial velocity (260 mph). Solving for t, we get t = 8.37 seconds.

Now, we can plug in the values we have into the first equation: v_f = v_0 + at. This gives us v_f = 260 mph + (9.80 m/s^2)(8.37 s). Converting the units, we get v_f = 260 mph + 23.84 mph = 283.84 mph.

Therefore, the final speed of the package when it hits the ground is approximately 283.84 mph.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the most common method of delivering a package by air?

The most common method of delivering a package by air is through commercial airlines. These airlines have a large network of routes and can transport packages to various destinations quickly and efficiently.

What are the benefits of delivering a package by air?

There are several benefits to delivering a package by air, including speed and efficiency. Air travel allows packages to be delivered to their destination in a matter of hours, instead of days or weeks. Additionally, air delivery is less affected by traffic or road conditions, making it a more reliable method of transportation.

What types of packages are suitable for air delivery?

Typically, small and lightweight packages are suitable for air delivery. This includes items such as documents, small parcels, and some types of perishable goods. However, larger and heavier packages may also be transported by air, depending on the airline's policies and regulations.

What are the limitations of delivering a package by air?

One limitation of delivering a package by air is the cost. Air delivery is generally more expensive than other methods of transportation, making it less accessible for some individuals and businesses. Additionally, there may be restrictions on certain types of items that can be transported by air, such as hazardous materials.

How does weather affect package delivery by air?

Weather can greatly impact package delivery by air. Severe weather conditions, such as storms or heavy fog, can delay or even cancel flights. This can cause disruptions in the delivery schedule and may result in packages being delayed or rerouted. Additionally, extreme temperatures can also affect the transportation of certain types of goods, such as perishable items.