Delta Kronecker Vs Dirac delta

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between different functions and how to learn about them. The person is asking if two functions are related and where they can learn more about them. The response explains that the functions are related and provides an example of how they are connected. It also mentions that the context usually defines the symbols used in a function.
Another
I want to know if these functions are related?
for example. I can write Dirac delta in term Delta Kronecker from?

Where can I learn these?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another said:
for example. I can write Dirac delta in Delta Kronecker from?

Where can I learn these?
What do you mean? Your question sounds like: Are the Greek P and the Latin P related? Where can I learn when to use which?

We usually have a function written in a certain way and the context defines the symbols, not the other way around. E.g. "D" can mean: domain, differential operator, a vertex of a polygon, an area, a derivation, or whatever an author uses it for, if he runs out of standard notations.

Likes Another
Another said:
for example. I can write Dirac delta in term Delta Kronecker from?

Where can I learn these?
Good question. They are related. Let ##f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## be a continuous function with compact support; and let ##F:\mathbb{Z}\to\mathbb{R}## be a function
Compare:
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}}\delta(x-y)f(x)dx=f(y);\quad \sum_{i\in \mathbb{Z}}F(i)\delta_{ij}=F(j)$$

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Delta Kronecker and Dirac delta?

Delta Kronecker and Dirac delta are both mathematical functions used in the field of signal processing and mathematics. However, they serve different purposes and have distinct properties.

2. What is Delta Kronecker used for?

Delta Kronecker, also known as the Kronecker delta, is used to represent a discrete impulse or a single discrete value in a sequence. It is commonly used in discrete signal processing and is defined as 1 when the two indices are equal and 0 otherwise.

3. How is Dirac delta different from Delta Kronecker?

Dirac delta, also known as the unit impulse function, is a continuous function that represents an impulse or spike of infinite height and infinitesimal width at a specific point. It is used in continuous signal processing and is defined as zero for all values except at the point of impulse where it is considered infinite.

4. Can Delta Kronecker and Dirac delta be used interchangeably?

No, Delta Kronecker and Dirac delta serve different purposes and have different properties. While Delta Kronecker is used for discrete signals, Dirac delta is used for continuous signals. They cannot be used interchangeably as they represent different concepts in mathematics.

5. How are Delta Kronecker and Dirac delta related?

Delta Kronecker and Dirac delta are related through the concept of sampling. Dirac delta can be considered as the limit of Delta Kronecker as the sampling interval approaches zero. This relationship is often used in the analysis of continuous signals using discrete techniques.