Demodulation of NTSC YIQ Signal

• Thread starter Fischer777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, the color burst in NTSC is not in phase with either the I or Q signal, so they must be demodulated separately. The color burst is amplitude modulated with a continuous sine wave, and the phase of the color burst is referenced to the I or Q signal.
Fischer777
Hello everyone,
I'm working on a project that requires me to demodulate an NTSC composite video signal into an RGB form. Despite having read a book and visited numerous websites detailing how this is performed, I am still confused. First, it seems that the colorburst signal is not in phase (or separated by some multiple of 90 degrees) with either the I or Q signal, so I'm not sure how either the I or Q signal can be demodulated without crosstalk. Second, I have heard of a method of demodulation called R-Y/B-Y, which I understand is appealing because somehow the B-Y signal is in phase with the colorburst, yet I still don't understand how this relationship is derived in a mathematical sense, or even how this particular method works. Thanks for any help with this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fischer777 said:
First, it seems that the colorburst signal is not in phase (or separated by some multiple of 90 degrees) with either the I or Q signal, so I'm not sure how either the I or Q signal can be demodulated without crosstalk.
In NTSC the colour burst phase is locked at transmit but by the time the signal reaches the colour decoder the original phase has been rotated. That is overcome by the PAL correction. NTSC is “Never The Same Color” due to phase rotation causing cross-talk.

Look at page 5 of this document.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/NTSC_Signal_Specifications.pdf

D. Equation of Complete Color Signal

"The color picture signal has the following composition:"

"The phase reference in the above equation is the phase of the (color burst +180°), as shown in Fig. 3. The burst corresponds to amplitude modulation of a continuous sine wave."

Last edited:
Likes Fischer777
Baluncore said:
NTSC is “Never The Same Color”

:D

Here is a old NTSC station calibration video that might help to understand the chroma signal and color burst phase relationship using a vectorscope.

Likes Fischer777
Alright, I think I've got it now. Thanks guys!

1. What is NTSC YIQ signal?

The NTSC YIQ signal is a type of video signal used in analog television broadcasting. It is composed of three components: Y (luminance or brightness), I (in-phase chrominance or color information), and Q (quadrature-phase chrominance or color information). This signal is used to encode and transmit color information in standard definition television (SDTV) systems.

2. How does demodulation of NTSC YIQ signal work?

Demodulation of NTSC YIQ signal involves separating the three components (Y, I, and Q) from the modulated signal. This is done using a process called synchronous demodulation, which uses a color subcarrier frequency to extract the color information from the signal. The Y component is then used to reconstruct the black and white portion of the image, while the I and Q components are used to recreate the color information.

3. What is the purpose of demodulation in NTSC YIQ signal?

The demodulation process is essential in NTSC YIQ signal because it allows for the separation of luminance and chrominance components. This allows for a more accurate and stable transmission of color information, resulting in a clearer and more vibrant image on the TV screen.

4. What are the challenges in demodulating NTSC YIQ signal?

One of the main challenges in demodulating NTSC YIQ signal is the interference and noise that can occur during transmission. This can result in a loss of signal quality and affect the accuracy of the color information. Another challenge is the need for precise synchronization between the transmitted signal and the receiver, as any timing errors can cause distortion in the image.

5. Is demodulation of NTSC YIQ signal still relevant today?

While digital television has largely replaced analog television, demodulation of NTSC YIQ signal is still relevant today in certain applications. For example, it is still used in some video surveillance systems, as well as in the preservation and restoration of historical video footage originally recorded in analog format.