Dense linear orderings categorical

• Thread starter ky2345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of categorical theories in the cardinality of the reals, where a theory is considered categorical if every c-model is isomorphic. The conversation also introduces the idea of elementarily equivalent models and their relation to isomorphic models. The problem at hand is to prove that the theory of dense linear orderings with no endpoints is not categorical in the cardinality of the reals. This can be done by finding two dense linear orderings without endpoints with cardinality=c that are not isomorphic. The conversation suggests using A=(R,<) and B=(I,<), where I is the set of irrationals, as the two models, but it is noted that these models are not elementarily equivalent.
ky2345

Homework Statement

Prove that the theory of dense linear orderings with no endpoints is not categorical in the cardinality of the reals.

Homework Equations

A theory is categorical in the cardinality of the reals (denoted c) if every c-model is ismorphic.

Isomorphic means that there is an isomorphism between the two models that is onto, one to one, and preserves order.

If two models A and B are elementarily equivalent, this means that A logically implies a formula a iff B logically implies a.

Isomorphic => elementarily equivalent

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I need to find two dense linear orderings without endpoints with cardinality=c that are not isomorphic. It would be great if I could get two dense linear orderings without endpoints with cardinality=c that are not elementarily equivalent, because then I would just have to list the two models and the sentence that is true in one but not true int eh other. I'm thinking of using A=(R,<) and B=(I,<), where I is the set of irrationals, as my two models. But, I'm having trouble proving why they are not ismorphic/elementarily equivalent. Obviously, A has the least upper bound property while B does not, but I'm having trouble saying that in first order logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
ky2345 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the theory of dense linear orderings with no endpoints is not categorical in the cardinality of the reals.

Homework Equations

A theory is categorical in the cardinality of the reals (denoted c) if every c-model is ismorphic.

Isomorphic means that there is an isomorphism between the two models that is onto, one to one, and preserves order.

If two models A and B are elementarily equivalent, this means that A logically implies a formula a iff B logically implies a.

Isomorphic => elementarily equivalent

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I need to find two dense linear orderings without endpoints with cardinality=c that are not isomorphic. It would be great if I could get two dense linear orderings without endpoints with cardinality=c that are not elementarily equivalent, because then I would just have to list the two models and the sentence that is true in one but not true int eh other. I'm thinking of using A=(R,<) and B=(I,<), where I is the set of irrationals, as my two models. But, I'm having trouble proving why they are not ismorphic/elementarily equivalent. Obviously, A has the least upper bound property while B does not, but I'm having trouble saying that in first order logic.
The theory of dense linear orders is [itex]\omega[/itex]-categorical, hence complete. Thus any two dense linear orders are elementarily equivalent, so you won't be able to show the irrationals and reals aren't elementarily equivalent. They are, however, not isomorphic, and you can prove this using the idea you had about the least upper bound property. So think about this a little more.

Related to Dense linear orderings categorical

1. What is a dense linear ordering categorical?

A dense linear ordering categorical, also known as a dense linear order, is a mathematical structure that represents a set of elements ordered in a linear fashion, with no gaps or missing elements. It is a type of category in category theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies mathematical structures and relationships between them.

2. How is a dense linear ordering categorical different from a standard linear ordering?

A dense linear ordering categorical is different from a standard linear ordering in that it allows for the inclusion of infinitely many elements between any two elements. In a standard linear ordering, there is a finite number of elements between any two elements, while in a dense linear ordering categorical, there can be an infinite number of elements between any two elements.

3. What are some examples of dense linear ordering categoricals?

Some examples of dense linear ordering categoricals include the real numbers, which are ordered from smallest to largest with no gaps or missing numbers, and the rational numbers, which are ordered in the same way but also include all fractions between any two numbers. Other examples include the set of all positive integers and the set of all positive real numbers.

4. How are dense linear ordering categoricals used in mathematics?

Dense linear ordering categoricals are used in mathematics to study and understand the structure and relationships between ordered sets and other mathematical structures. They are also useful in areas such as analysis, topology, and algebraic geometry.

5. What are the properties of dense linear ordering categoricals?

Some properties of dense linear ordering categoricals include being well-ordered, meaning that every non-empty subset has a least element, and being dense, meaning that between any two elements there is at least one other element. They also have the property of being a total order, meaning that every two elements can be compared and are either equal or one is greater than the other.