Dense set equivalent definitions

In summary: CategoryId=In summary, this book is a free online resource that promises to be helpful for students of real analysis.
HAT
Hello all, I am an undergraduate student who is studying real analysis from Rudin's POMA and I am trying to prove that these two definitions that I have for dense sets are equivalent:
1) Given a metric space X and E ⊂ X ; E is dense in X iff every point of X is a limit point of E or E = X or both of these are true.
2) Given a metric space X and E ⊂ X; E is dense in X iff the intersection of E and every non-empty open set of X is non-empty.
In an attempt to prove the equivalence I have encountered an example which I can't get my head around it.
Given the set X such that X consists of all points ##s_n## , where ##s_n = \sum_{k=0}^n (1/2)^n## for all n ≥ 0, and 2 as well. Now define the metric for such a set to be the same as that of ℝ. Then X is a metric space. Now according to definition (1) the only dense set in X is X itself, but according to (2) the set V = X - {2} is a dense set in X besides X as well. However we should not have such a problem. So could you please point out what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer the definition, ##E## is dense, iff ##\bar{E}=X##, which is definition one.

I had difficulties to correct definition two, as it is a bit of a sloppy notation for limit points. Maybe it's better to write it with open neighborhoods ##U_x## of a point ##x## and require ##E \cap (U_x-\{x\}) \neq \emptyset##, but that's basically definition one.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I prefer the definition, ##E## is dense, iff ##\bar{E}=X##, which is definition one.

I had difficulties to correct definition two, as it is a bit of a sloppy notation for limit points. Maybe it's better to write it with open neighborhoods ##U_x## of a point ##x## and require ##E \cap (U_x-\{x\}) \neq \emptyset##, but that's basically definition one.

You mean basically definition 2.

Have I confused something? I'm used to define points of a set as automatically limit points. That's why it is better to define ##E\subseteq X## is dense, if ##\bar{E} =X##, which avoids this special case. So let's see, what we get for ##E=X-\{2\}##. With my definition it is dense in ##X##.

Now if ##\{1\} \in E## is no limit point, because without ##x=1## there are no small non-empty open sets around it, then according to definition 1) ##E## wasn't dense, which is wrong.

On the other hand, in definition 2) we have ##E \cap \{1\} = \{1\}## as an intersection of ##E## with an open non-empty set which is non-empty, so the points of ##E## are included. This is correct.

So, yes, you are right, I confused the two. The second definition is right and the first one is not. Thanks for the correction.

This may not be of interest, since I don't know why you are using POMA, but when I hear that, my first reaction is to suggest you read a different book, like anything by George Simmons or Sterling Berberian, if you want a book tnat teaches you something in a user friendly way. Or if you stick with Rudin but have difficulty understanding at least remember it isn't necessarily your fault. I myself learned metric spaces from lectures by George Mackey and never needed to read any book on it afterwards, since they were so clear. He wrote a book on complex variables with an introductory chapter on metric spaces and elementary topology that might be useful. Also Dieudonne' has a great book on Foundations of modern analysis with a chapter on metric spaces but he is not easy reading. In my opinion your choice of book is making things harder unnecessarily, but anyway good luck. It is of course a standard and well respected by many professional analysts.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is a "dense set"?

A dense set is a subset of a given mathematical space that contains points that are arbitrarily close together, meaning that any point in the space can be approximated by a point in the dense set.

2. What does it mean for two definitions to be "equivalent"?

Two definitions are considered equivalent if they describe the same mathematical concept or object. In other words, they convey the same meaning and can be used interchangeably.

3. How are dense set equivalent definitions useful in mathematics?

Dense set equivalent definitions allow mathematicians to define a concept or object in multiple ways, providing different perspectives and approaches to understanding it. This can lead to deeper insights and connections between seemingly unrelated concepts.

4. Can you give an example of dense set equivalent definitions?

One example is the definition of continuity in calculus. It can be defined as a function where the limit of the function at a given point is equal to the value of the function at that point. This is equivalent to saying that the function does not have any "jumps" or discontinuities in its graph.

5. How can one prove that two definitions are equivalent?

To prove that two definitions are equivalent, one must show that they are logically equivalent. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as proof by contradiction or by showing that one definition can be derived from the other. Additionally, providing examples that satisfy both definitions can also help demonstrate their equivalence.