Density operator and natural log/trace

In summary: Ahh, so then I would have ##tr( \rho * log(\rho)) = tr(UAU^\dagger*log(UAU^\dagger)) = tr(UAU^\dagger*U (log(A))U^\dagger) = tr(UA (log(A))U^\dagger) = tr(A *log(A))##?
t0pquark
Homework Statement
The average value of the Von Neumann entropy is associated with ## tr( \rho *log(\rho)) ##, where ## log ## is the natural log and ## \rho ## is the density operator. Simplify this expression.
Relevant Equations
## \rho = \vert \psi \rangle \langle \psi \vert ##
## tr(\rho) = 1 ##
I feel like I'm going around in circles trying to do something with the expression ## tr( \rho *log(\rho)) ##. I thought about a Taylor expansion, but I don't think there's a useful one here because of the logarithm. We learned the Jacobi's formula in class, but I don't think I want a derivative here either. I saw on Wikipedia a corollary that ## tr(log(A)) = log(det(A))##, but the equation is ## tr( \rho *log(\rho)) ##, not ## tr(log(\rho)) ##, and ordinarily ## tr(x*y) \neq tr(x)*tr(y)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to apply the spectral theorem to the density matrix?

Gaussian97 said:
Have you tried to apply the spectral theorem to the density matrix?
I just looked it up, and I guess the spectral theorem says that any Hermitian matrix is diagonalizable (so it would be true for the density operator). The trace of the density operator is 1, so the sum of these entries on the diagonal would be 1. Also, if the density operator was a diagonal matrix, then its natural log would simply be the natural log of the entries on the diagonal. I can see this would be helpful, but the end isn't clear for me.
Also, I'm not sure how you would notate this so it could be later multiplied by ## \rho ##?

t0pquark said:
I just looked it up, and I guess the spectral theorem says that any Hermitian matrix is diagonalizable (so it would be true for the density operator). The trace of the density operator is 1, so the sum of these entries on the diagonal would be 1. Also, if the density operator was a diagonal matrix, then its natural log would simply be the natural log of the entries on the diagonal. I can see this would be helpful, but the end isn't clear for me.
Also, I'm not sure how you would notate this so it could be later multiplied by ## \rho ##?
Yes, you forget an important property, that is that the diagonal base is orthonormal, with all that you can simplify this expression to a very famous one.

Gaussian97 said:
Yes, you forget an important property, that is that the diagonal base is orthonormal, with all that you can simplify this expression to a very famous one.
Not sure I see what you are talking about?
I'm going to try writing out what I know here.
Applying the spectral theorem to ##\rho##, we can get something i.e. ##\rho = U A U^\dagger ##, where ## A ## is a diagonal matrix.
If this goes into the original equation:
##tr(\rho*log( \rho )) = tr(U A U^\dagger * log(U A U^\dagger)) ##
With log rules, ## log(U A U^\dagger)) = log(U) + log(A) + log(U^\dagger) = log(A) + log(UU^\dagger) = log(A) ##?
Original equation is now
##tr(\rho*log( \rho )) = tr(U A U^\dagger * log(A)) ##
I'm not sure how to use the fact that the diagonal base is orthonormal.

You should be careful, let ##A## and ##B## be hermitian matrices, then ##\log{A}## and ##\log{B}## are well defined matrices. Also ##\log{AB}## is well defined and thus
$$\log{AB} = \log{A}+\log{B} = \log{B}+\log{A} = \log{BA}.$$
Now, taking the exponential of both sides
$$AB = BA, \qquad \forall A, B \text{ hermitian}$$

Clearly there's something wrong

Gaussian97 said:
Clearly there's something wrong
Yikes, you're right there
So I'm back to ##tr( \rho*log(\rho)) = tr( UAU^\dagger*log(UAU^\dagger))##?

Ok, how would you compute the logarithm of a density matrix in general?

Gaussian97 said:
Ok, how would you compute the logarithm of a density matrix in general?

Well, it would be easiest if it was already diagonalized; just take the logarithm of the entries on the diagonal.
If not, I guess I could either diagonalize it like above or write it as a sum of projections and then try to do something with that?

t0pquark said:
Well, it would be easiest if it was already diagonalized; just take the logarithm of the entries on the diagonal.
If not, I guess I could either diagonalize it like above or write it as a sum of projections and then try to do something with that?
Yes, fair enough, in other words, to compute the logarithm of a non-diagonal matrix you must first diagonalize the matrix and then if ##\rho = UAU^\dagger## you can compute $$\log \rho = U \left(\log A\right) U^\dagger$$.

Gaussian97 said:
Yes, fair enough, in other words, to compute the logarithm of a non-diagonal matrix you must first diagonalize the matrix and then if ρ=UAU†ρ=UAU†\rho = UAU^\dagger you can compute

logρ=U(logA)U†​
Ahh, so then I would have ##tr( \rho * log(\rho)) = tr(UAU^\dagger*log(UAU^\dagger)) = tr(UAU^\dagger*U (log(A))U^\dagger) = tr(UA (log(A))U^\dagger) = tr(A *log(A))## ?

Likes Abhishek11235
Yes, in general, you can prove that the trace of a matrix is base independent. But you can still simplify more writing this with the eigenvalues.

Likes Abhishek11235
Gaussian97 said:
Yes, in general, you can prove that the trace of a matrix is base independent. But you can still simplify more writing this with the eigenvalues.
Starting with ##tr(A * log(A)) = tr(diag(a_1, ..., a_n)*diag(log(a_1), ..., log(a_n))) = tr(diag(a_1*log(a_1), ..., a_n*log(a_n))) = a_1*log(a_1) + ... + a_n*log(a_n)##??

Yes, maybe you can use the ##\Sigma## notation, but I think this is the result that you should get.

Gaussian97 said:
Yes, maybe you can use the ##\Sigma## notation, but I think this is the result that you should get.
Thank you so much for your help!

Anytime

1. What is a density operator?

A density operator, also known as a density matrix, is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the state of the system and its associated probabilities. It is a Hermitian matrix that contains information about the system's quantum states, including their amplitudes and phases.

2. How is a density operator related to natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm of a density operator is used in quantum information theory to quantify the amount of entanglement present in a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the logarithm of the density operator and then multiplying it by -1.

3. What is the purpose of taking the trace of a density operator?

The trace of a density operator is a measure of the purity of a quantum system. It represents the sum of the diagonal elements of the density operator and is used to calculate the system's entropy and distinguish between pure and mixed states.

4. How is the trace of a density operator related to the von Neumann entropy?

The von Neumann entropy is a measure of the uncertainty or randomness of a quantum system. It is calculated using the trace of the density operator, with the formula S = -Tr(ρ ln ρ), where ρ is the density operator. The higher the entropy, the more uncertain or mixed the system is.

5. Can a density operator be used to describe classical probability distributions?

Yes, a density operator can also be used to describe classical probability distributions. In this case, the density operator is a diagonal matrix with the probabilities of the different classical states on the diagonal. The trace of this density operator is equal to 1, indicating that it represents a pure state with no uncertainty.