Derivating a sum weird result. wtf

• Thread starter sh86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Weird
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between taking the derivative of x^2 and the sum of x. The definition of x^2 as a sum does not make sense because x is not a variable, but the last term in the series. Differentiating with respect to x in this case is not valid because x is a discrete, integer variable. Additionally, the upper limit of the summation varies with x, which was not taken into account when differentiating within the summation sign.
sh86
Hey I was doing a standard derivative problem but I ran into something somewhat strange. Check it out:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sum_{i=1}^xx=\frac{d}{dx}x^2=2x[/tex]

Okay, simple enough..but what if I write it like this?

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sum_{i=1}^xx=\frac{d}{dx}(x+x+...+x)=1+1+...+1=x[/tex].

Why am I getting two different answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]x^2 \neq \sum^x x [/tex]. This definition of x^2 does not make sense. d/dx does not just apply to whole numbers for x. It applies to all real numbers of x.

In that defintion for x^2 which you have as a sum. x is not a variable, it's the last term of your series.

Defennder said:
[tex]x^2 \neq \sum^x x [/tex]. This definition of x^2 does not make sense. d/dx does not just apply to whole numbers for x. It applies to all real numbers of x.

I don't get it. Are you saying that because x is the upper bound of the summation that means it's limited to nonnegative integers and because of that, you can't take the derivative?

rock.freak667 said:
In that defintion for x^2 which you have as a sum. x is not a variable, it's the last term of your series.

How's it not a variable? I looked up the definition on Mathworld.com:
A variable is a symbol on whose value a function, polynomial, etc., depends.

and x can take on different values (0, 1, 2, etc.) and the function [tex]f(x)=\sum_{i=1}^x x[/tex] depends on it.

Derivatives are defined for functions of a continuous variable. Since x is a discrete, integer variable in your summation, it doesn't make any sense to differentiate with respect to x here.

If you don't understand my answer, I'll ask you this question: what is that sum for, say, x=3.5?

Another way of looking at it: in [itex]x+ x+ x+ x+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ x[/itex], "x times", the "x times" is itself a function of x- this can't be treated like you would x added to itself a fixed number of times. Just as the derivative of [itex]x^x[/itex] is nothing like the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] for fixed n.

Just to add something to Halls's post, you can get round the fact that the x above the summation sign 'ought' to be an integer, by replacing it with, say, floor(x). But the analysis you use in your argument doesn't allow for the fact that the upper summation limit varies with x - you differentiated within the summation sign, but ignored the x (or floor(x)) appearing above it.

Related to Derivating a sum weird result. wtf

What is "Derivating a sum weird result"?

"Derivating a sum weird result" refers to the process of finding the derivative of a mathematical expression that results in a strange or unexpected answer. This can happen for various reasons, such as errors in calculation, unconventional functions, or undefined values.

Why does "Derivating a sum weird result" happen?

There can be several reasons for "Derivating a sum weird result". One common reason is that there may be errors in the calculations or in the application of derivative rules. Additionally, certain mathematical expressions or functions may not have a defined derivative, leading to strange results.

Can "Derivating a sum weird result" be avoided?

In some cases, "Derivating a sum weird result" can be avoided by being careful with calculations and double-checking for errors. However, there are also instances where the result may be truly unexpected due to the nature of the mathematical expression or function being differentiated.

Is "Derivating a sum weird result" a common occurrence?

It depends on the context and the level of complexity of the mathematical expression. In general, unexpected results can happen in any mathematical calculation, but they may be more common in complex or unconventional expressions.

How can "Derivating a sum weird result" be resolved?

If the cause of the strange result is due to a calculation error, it can be resolved by correcting the error. However, if the result is truly unconventional due to the nature of the expression, it may be helpful to further analyze the expression and consider alternative methods of differentiation.