Derivation of Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality

In summary: Could you also equally just take the absolute value of the of both sides of the inequality ##\pm a \le b## instead of using the definition of absolute value? This would give ##|a| \le |b|##
ChiralSuperfields
For this,
1679289109955.png

I don't understand how they got from (1) to (2)? Dose someone please know what binary operation allows for that?

I also don't understand how they algebraically got from line (2) to (3).

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1679288278254.png
    1679288278254.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 1679288324177.png
    1679288324177.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
They used the geometric definition of vector dot product which is:

##u \cdot v = |u| |v| cos(\theta)## where its understood that ##\theta## is the angle between u and v

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product
Thank you for your reply @jedishrfu !

Sorry if I was not clear. How did they go from ## -|v||w| ≤ v \cdot w ≤ |v||w| ## be equal to ##|v \cdot w| ≤ |v||w|##? The textbook dose not show any immediate steps.

I also don't know what allowed them to multiply all of ##-1 ≤ \cos\theta ≤ 1## by ##|v||w| ## to get line (2).

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Sorry if I was not clear. How did they go from ## -|v||w| ≤ v \cdot w ≤ |v||w| ## be equal to ##|v \cdot w| ≤ |v||w|##? The textbook dose not show any immediate steps.
Try it the other way. What does ##|x|\leq a## tell you about the range of allowed values for ##x##?
Callumnc1 said:
I also don't know what allowed them to multiply all of ##-1 ≤ \cos\theta ≤ 1## by ##|v||w| ## to get line (2).
If one number (e.g. ##\cos\theta##) is less than another (e.g. ##1##) and I multiply both by some positive value (e.g. ##|v||w|##), do you think the product with the smaller value (##|v||w|\cos\theta##) could ever be larger than the product with the larger value (##1|v||w|##)?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Ibix said:
Try it the other way. What does ##|x|\leq a## tell you about the range of allowed values for ##x##?
Thank you for your reply @Ibix!

The range of allowed values of x have to such that their abs is less than or equal to a.

Many thanks!

Ibix said:
If one number (e.g. ##\cos\theta##) is less than another (e.g. ##1##) and I multiply both by some positive value (e.g. ##|v||w|##), do you think the product with the smaller value (##|v||w|\cos\theta##) could ever be larger than the product with the larger value (##1|v||w|##)?
Thank you for your reply @Ibix!

No I don't think so.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
##-|v||w| ≤ v \cdot w ≤ |v||w| ## be equal to ##|v \cdot w| ≤ |v||w|##?

By definition, if ## -b \leq a \leq b ## then we write this as ## |a| \leq b##

Likes ChiralSuperfields and jedishrfu
malawi_glenn said:
By definition, if ## -b \leq a \leq b ## then we write this as ## |a| \leq b##
Thank you for your reply @malawi_glenn! Sorry, where did you read that is true? I am not sure where it is derived from. I have never seen that before sorry.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @malawi_glenn! Sorry, where did you read that is true? I am not sure where it is derived from. I have never seen that before sorry.

Many thanks!
Any math textbook on pre calc should cover this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_value

And it is not derived it is a definition, a way of writing more compact

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
Draw a number line. Mark ##0## and ##\pm b##. What region of this line can ##a## lie in if ##|a|\leq b##? What region can it lie in if ##-b\leq a\leq b##?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Ibix said:
Draw a number line. Mark ##0## and ##\pm b##. What region of this line can ##a## lie in if ##|a|\leq b##? What region can it lie in if ##-b\leq a\leq b##?
Thank you for your reply @lbix ! I will do some thinking. Many thanks!

If ##-b \le a \le b##, then ##a \le b## and ##-b \le a## (or, ##-a \le b##). So ##\pm a \le b##. Since ##|a|## is either ##a## or ##-a##, then ##|a| \le b##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields, DaveE and Ibix
Euge said:
If ##-b \le a \le b##, then ##a \le b## and ##-b \le a## (or, ##-a \le b##). So ##\pm a \le b##. Since ##|a|## is either ##a## or ##-a##, then ##|a| \le b##.
Thank you for your reply @Euge!

Could you also equally just take the absolute value of the of both sides of the inequality ##\pm a \le b## instead of using the definition of absolute value? This would give ##|a| \le |b|##

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Could you also equally just take the absolute value of the of both sides of the inequality ##\pm a \le b## instead of using the definition of absolute value? This would give ##|a| \le |b|##
In general, the inequality ##a \le b## does not imply ##|a| \le |b|##. For example, ##-2 \le 1## but ##|-2| > |1|## since ##|-2| = 2## and ##|-1| = 1##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, ChiralSuperfields and malawi_glenn

1. What is the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality is a mathematical inequality that states that the dot product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. In other words, it shows a relationship between the inner product of two vectors and their lengths.

2. Who discovered the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality is named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Hermann Schwarz, who independently discovered and proved the inequality in the 19th century.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality is an important tool in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and analysis. It has many applications in geometry, physics, and engineering, and is often used to prove other mathematical theorems.

4. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality derived?

The Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality can be derived using the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality Proof, which involves using the properties of the dot product and the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality itself. The proof shows that the dot product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes, with equality occurring when the two vectors are parallel.

5. Can the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality be extended to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality can be extended to other mathematical concepts, such as matrices and integrals. This extension is known as the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality for Matrices and the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality for Integrals, respectively.