Derivation of D'Alembert equation (for pressure waves)

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of D'Alembert's equation for pressure waves, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and acceleration. The equation is derived using concepts such as pressure differentials and the coefficient of compressibility. The conversation also mentions the relationship between two variables, dP and dψ, which is explained using the Chain Rule from calculus. The conversation concludes by discussing the classical wave equation and its solutions.
fcoulomb
In my textbook there is an explanation of a derivation of D'Alembert equation for pressure waves. (##\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\rho}{\beta}\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2}##)
I put the picture (the only one I found on internet) but I'll call ##y_1 ,y_2## as ##\psi_1,\psi_2## and the second volume will be smaller that the first volume (unlike in the picture) so ##V_2<V_1##.

Starting by the fact that there is a pression on the left bigger than pressure on the right (so the volume will be smaller) ##P_1 >P_2##, I have ##(P_1-P_2)A=ma_x= \rho_0 A dx \frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2}##.

Then I write ##P_{1,2}## as ##P_0+dP_{1,2}##, so ##dP_1-dP_2= -\frac{\partial(dP)}{\partial x} dx##.

Then I use the fact that ##dP=\beta \frac{d\rho}{\rho_0}## (with ##\beta## the coefficient of compressibility), but I need to write the ##d\rho## as a function of x, so

##\rho_0 V_1=(\rho_0+d\rho)V_2 \rightarrow \rho_0 A dx= (\rho_0+d\rho) A (dx-d\psi)##

Then by book says that I can write ##d\psi=\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}dx##, but I don't understand how these two variables are related.
Any help?

Attachments

• SoundWaveEqn.gif
    SoundWaveEqn.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
fcoulomb said:
...book says that I can write ##d\psi=\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}dx##, but I don't understand how these two variables are related.
Any help?
It's just the Chain Rule from calculus. It expresses whatever relationship there is between the variables (or their derivatives, anyway).

That is the classical wave equation. The solutions of that are waves which vary in time and propagate in space.

Are you asking how to derive the solution to that differential equation? If so, you can find it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_equation#General_solution

edit: wrong link replaced.

anorlunda said:
That is the classical wave equation. The solutions of that are waves which vary in time and propagate in spac.

That's why the title of the thread says "D'Alembert equation (for pressure waves)." :wink:

1. What is the D'Alembert equation?

The D'Alembert equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of pressure waves in a fluid medium. It is named after French mathematician Jean le Rond d'Alembert, who first derived the equation in the 18th century.

2. How is the D'Alembert equation derived?

The D'Alembert equation is derived using the principles of fluid mechanics and wave theory. It involves applying the conservation of mass and momentum to a small volume element of the fluid, and then making certain assumptions and simplifications to obtain the final equation.

3. What does the D'Alembert equation represent?

The D'Alembert equation represents the relationship between the pressure, density, and velocity of a fluid medium in which pressure waves are propagating. It is a second-order linear partial differential equation that can be used to model and analyze various fluid systems.

4. What are the applications of the D'Alembert equation?

The D'Alembert equation has various applications in fluid mechanics, acoustics, and engineering. It is commonly used to study the behavior of sound waves in air, water waves in the ocean, and seismic waves in the Earth's crust. It is also used in the design and analysis of pipelines, wind turbines, and other fluid systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the D'Alembert equation?

Like any mathematical model, the D'Alembert equation has its limitations. It assumes that the fluid is inviscid (no internal friction) and incompressible (constant density), which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account external factors such as boundaries and external forces, which can affect the behavior of pressure waves in a fluid.