Derivation of E.M. Stress Energy Tensor

In summary, the concepts you are asking about are coupling fields and their effects. A coupling field is a field that couples to another field, and the effects of the coupling depend on the particular configuration of the fields. You should consult a textbook on field theory to learn more about the details.
Andrew Kim
From Carroll (2004)
It is possible to derive the Einstein Equations (with ##c=1##) via functional variation of an action
$$S=\dfrac{S_H}{16\pi G}+S_M$$
where
$$S_H= \int \sqrt{-g}R_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu}d^4 x$$
and ##S_M## is a corresponding action representing matter. We can decompose ##\delta S_H## into three subsequent actions, i.e.
$$\delta S_H=(\delta S)_1+(\delta S)_2+(\delta S)_3$$
$$(\delta S)_1=\int \sqrt{-g}\big(R_{\mu\nu}\big)\delta g^{\mu\nu} d^4 x$$
$$(\delta S)_2=\int R\delta\sqrt{-g}d^4 x = \int \sqrt{-g}\bigg(-\frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}R\bigg)\delta g^{\mu\nu}d^4 x$$
$$(\delta S)_3=\int \sqrt{-g}g^{\mu\nu}\delta R_{\mu\nu}d^4 x$$
It turns out that ##(\delta S)_3=0##, so we have
$$\delta S_H=\int\sqrt{-g}\bigg(R_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu}\bigg)\delta g^{\mu\nu}d^4 x$$
And therefore
$$\frac{\delta S_H}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}} = \sqrt{-g}\bigg(R_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu}\bigg)$$
Finding the extremal values of our original action yields
$$\frac{\delta S}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}=\frac{\delta S_H}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}+\frac{\delta S_{M}}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}=0$$
or
$$\sqrt{-g}\bigg(R_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu}\bigg)=-16\pi G\frac{\delta S_{M}}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}$$
It is at this point that we define
$$T_{\mu\nu}=-\frac{2}{\sqrt{-g}}\frac{\delta S_{M}}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}$$
and we find
$$R_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu}=8\pi G T_{\mu\nu}$$
If we replace the matter action with an action for electromagnetism in GR, we have
$$T_{\mu\nu}=-\frac{2}{\sqrt{-g}}\frac{\delta S_{EM}}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}$$
$$S_{EM} = \int \sqrt{-g}\mathcal{L}_{EM}d^4 x$$
The value of ##\mathcal{L}_{EM}## that yields maxwell's equations when we use the Euler-Lagrange equations with respect to the fields ##A_{\mu}## is
$$\mathcal{L}_{EM} = -\frac{1}{4}F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}+A_{\mu}J^{\mu}$$
We can find the electromagnetic stress energy if vary ##S_{EM}## with respect to the metric. However, I'm not sure how to conduct this functional variation. I know the fields in gravitational GR are ##g^{\mu\nu}## and the fields in relativistic EM are ##A_{\mu}##. Should I vary with respect to both and only count the terms that have ##\delta g^{\mu\nu}##, or should I treat ##A_{\mu}## as a set of constants like ##J_{\mu}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Varying wrt the metric gives you the EM-tensor. So you should write the F-squared term in terms of the upper metric and do the variation. All the other fields are kept fixed. Varying with respect to the vector potential A gives you simply the equations of motion for this potential. You don't need the coupling of A to some current J; you only need that if there are other fields coupling to the electromagnetic field besides the metric (the coupling of the electromagnetic field to gravity is already described by the EM-tensor!) So you can put J=0.

As I said, I'm reading from Carroll's textbook, and he discusses the idea of "coupling fields" without ever defining what fields are or what it means for fields to couple. Can you please briefly describe those concepts?

I am afraid you are reading from the wrong book, and I mean the book which is not meant for such matters. Can you go to your closest univ. library and pick the 75 page booklet on the essentials of GR by PAM Dirac? You should have in 20 pages more than enough calculations and explanations.

Likes vanhees71
Dirac is always utmost clear in his writing. I marvel at his papers, which usually can just taken as they are also as a chapter in a textbook.

Andrew Kim said:
As I said, I'm reading from Carroll's textbook, and he discusses the idea of "coupling fields" without ever defining what fields are or what it means for fields to couple. Can you please briefly describe those concepts?
You can consult any textbook on field theory; i like Tomas Ortin's Gravity and Strings.

1. What is the E.M. Stress Energy Tensor?

The E.M. Stress Energy Tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of stress and energy in an electromagnetic field. It describes the relationship between the electromagnetic field and the matter that creates it.

2. How is the E.M. Stress Energy Tensor derived?

The E.M. Stress Energy Tensor is derived from the equations of electromagnetism, specifically Maxwell's equations. It involves manipulating these equations to express the energy and momentum of the electromagnetic field in terms of the electromagnetic potentials.

3. What are the components of the E.M. Stress Energy Tensor?

The E.M. Stress Energy Tensor has four components: the energy density, the energy flux, the momentum density, and the stress tensor. These components describe the energy and momentum of the electromagnetic field at a specific point in space and time.

4. What is the physical significance of the E.M. Stress Energy Tensor?

The E.M. Stress Energy Tensor is physically significant because it allows us to calculate the energy and momentum of an electromagnetic field, which are crucial for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter. It also plays a key role in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. How is the E.M. Stress Energy Tensor used in practical applications?

The E.M. Stress Energy Tensor is used in various practical applications, including the design and analysis of electronic devices, the study of electromagnetic radiation, and the development of technologies such as MRI and particle accelerators. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in black holes or during the early stages of the universe.