Derivation of electric potential charged disk from ring

In summary, the electric potential at a height, y, above the center of a uniformly charged disk of radius, R is V=kq/(R'2+y2)1/2.
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

a)recall that electric potential is a scalar quantity. For a circular ring of radius, R', carrying charge, Q, what is the electric potential at a height,y, above the center of the ring?
b)Use your above answer to determine the electric potential at a height,y, above the center of a uniformly charged disk of radius, R.
c)if y>>R, use the binomial expansion (keeping terms up to and including R2/y2 ) to show that the electric potential now resembles that of a point charge

Homework Equations

V=q/(4πε0r)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)V=q/(4πε0r)
dv=dq/(4πε0)
See ring.jpg attached
V=∫dv=∫dq/(4πε0)=[1/(4πε0r)]∫dq=q/4πε0r=q/4πε0(R'2+y2)1/2

b)See disk.jpg attached
V=kq/(R'2+y2)1/2
dV=kdq/(R'2+y2)1/2

(dq/Q)=(2πR'dr/πR2)→dq=2QR'dr/R2
The limits on the below integral are from 0→R until stated differently
V=∫dV=∫(k2QR'dr)/[R2(R'2+y2)1/2]=(kQ/R2)∫2R'dr/(R'2+y2)1/2
Usub:
U=R'2+y2
dU=2R'dr
dr=dU/2R'
New Limits:
when r=0, U=y2
when r=R, U= R2+y2
after taking integral:
(KQ/R2) [u1/2]evaulated from y2→R2+y2=(KQ/R2)[(R2+y2)-y]

c) This is the part I am confused on... not sure where to start.
I know if y>>R then my above answer turns into
(KQ/R2)[y2-y] but other than that not sure where to go...

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 358
  • Disk.jpg
    Disk.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 320
Physics news on Phys.org
cookiemnstr510510 said:

Homework Statement

a)recall that electric potential is a scalar quantity. For a circular ring of radius, R', carrying charge, Q, what is the electric potential at a height,y, above the center of the ring?

Homework Equations

V=q/(4πε0r)

a)V=q/(4πε0r)
dv=dq/(4πε0)
See ring.jpg attached
ring-jpg.jpg

V=∫dv
=∫dq/(4πε0)
=[1/(4πε0r)]∫dq
=q/(4πε0r)
=q/(4πε0(R'2+y2)1/2)
This result (Part a) looks good. Remember that the charge, Q is the total charge on the disk, whereas, q, will become the portion of the total charge on a thin ring,

Also, you should enclose in parentheses the whole of any denominators in the above expressions. I added those in RED above.

Attachments

• ring-jpg.jpg
    ring-jpg.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 348
Likes cookiemnstr510510
cookiemnstr510510 said:

Homework Statement

b)Use your above answer to determine the electric potential at a height,y, above the center of a uniformly charged disk of radius, R.

Homework Equations

V=q/(4πε0r)

V=q/(4πε0(R'2+y2)1/2)

b)See disk.jpg attached
disk-jpg.jpg

V=kq/(R'2+y2)1/2
dV=kdq/(R'2+y2)1/2

(dq/Q)=(2πR'dr/πR2)→dq=2QR'dr/R2
The limits on the below integral are from 0→R until stated differently
V=∫dV=∫(k2QR'dr)/[R2(R'2+y2)1/2]=(kQ/R2)∫2R'dr/(R'2+y2)1/2
Any r as in dr you have in this part should be R' and dR'

Usub:
U=R'2+y2
dU=2R'dr
dr=dU/2R'
The u-substitution looks fine, but your integration result doesn't look so good.

Also, after finding the antiderivative (indefinite integral) I find it handy to switch back to the original variable(s) and then substitute the limits of integration: Less chance for mistakes.
New Limits:
when r=0, U=y2
when r=R, U= R2+y2
Before integrating, let's see what the integral is !
∫2R'dr/(R'2+y2)1/2
becomes (without limits for now)
##\displaystyle \int \frac{dU}{\left( U \right)^{1/2}} ##
but you might be better off writing it as:
##\displaystyle \int {U ^{-1/2} \ } dU ##​

You made an error with the integration.

Added in Edit:
Never mind. the integration looks fine. DUH !

after taking integral:
(KQ/R2) [u1/2]evaulated from y2→R2+y2=(KQ/R2)[(R2+y2)-y]
Well, that last result should be: ##\displaystyle \ V(y)=\frac{2k Q}{R^2}\left( \sqrt{R^2+y^2\,} - y \right) ##

(Fixed a missing factor of 2)

Attachments

• disk-jpg.jpg
    disk-jpg.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Likes cookiemnstr510
SammyS said:
Well, that last result should be: V(y)=kQR2(√R2+y2−y)
I re did it also and now I am confusing myself:
Im thinking the final answer should be V(y)=(2KQ/R2)[(√R2+y2-y)]
because evaluating the integral:
∫U-1/2=2U1/2?

cookiemnstr510510 said:
I re did it also and now I am confusing myself:
Im thinking the final answer should be V(y)=(2KQ/R2)[(√R2+y2-y)]
because evaluating the integral:
∫U-1/2=2U1/2?
After posting (#3) I did a couple of quick edits.

A couple of mathematical pointers.

Writing ∫U−1/2 without the dU is a mistake. But, yes, there should be that factor of 2 in the result. (I'll fix my post.)

As for the formula you have for V(y), make sure that the scope of the radical, √ , is clear. Parentheses can help, but it be even clearer to write that with a rational exponent as ( ( R2 + y2)−1/2 − y )

Likes cookiemnstr510510
SammyS said:
After posting (#3) I did a couple of quick edits.

A couple of mathematical pointers.

Writing ∫U−1/2 without the dU is a mistake. But, yes, there should be that factor of 2 in the result. (I'll fix my post.)

As for the formula you have for V(y), make sure that the scope of the radical, √ , is clear. Parentheses can help, but it be even clearer to write that with a rational exponent as ( ( R2 + y2)−1/2 − y )
appreciate the pointers. Thank you!
Any suggestions on the last part of the problem?

cookiemnstr510510 said:

Homework Statement

c)if y>>R, use the binomial expansion (keeping terms up to and including R2/y2 ) to show that the electric potential now resembles that of a point charge

Homework Equations

V=q/(4πε0r)

c) This is the part I am confused on... not sure where to start.
I know if y>>R then my above answer turns into
(KQ/R2)[y2-y] but other than that not sure where to go...
Of course we know that last statement is wrong. The potential obtained above is: ## \displaystyle \ V(y)=\frac{2k Q}{R^2}\left( \sqrt{R^2+y^2\,} - y \right) ##
The first thing to do is to manipulate the portion that depends on ##\ y\ ## to to have terms with ##\ R/y \ ##.

A reasonably clean way to do this is to define a new (temporary) variable, ##\ u\,.\ ## Let ##\displaystyle \ u = R/y\,,\ \text{ so that } \ R = u\cdot y \,.\ ##
Notice that if y >> R, then 1 >> u.

You should get ## \displaystyle \ \left( \sqrt{R^2+y^2\,} - y \right) = \left( \sqrt{u^2y^2+y^2\,} - y \right) \,.##

Now, factor out ##\ y \ ## from the expression on the right side of the equation.

"Binomial expansion of what?", you may be asking?

Look at Wikipedia: Newton's generalized binomial theorem .

## \displaystyle \sqrt {x+1} = 1+{\frac {1}{2}}x-{\frac {1}{8}}x^{2}+{\frac {1}{16}}x^{3}-{\frac {5}{128}}x^{4}+{\frac {7}{256}}x^{5}-\cdots ##

Plug in ##\ u^2 \ ## for ##\ x\ ## and see what you get.

Last edited:
Likes cookiemnstr510510

Related to Derivation of electric potential charged disk from ring

What is the formula for the electric potential of a charged disk?

The formula for the electric potential of a charged disk can be derived from the formula for the electric potential of a charged ring. It is given by: V = (kQ/R)*[1 - (R/√(R^2 + z^2))] where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the disk, R is the radius of the disk, and z is the distance from the center of the disk.

How is the electric potential of a charged disk different from that of a charged ring?

The electric potential of a charged disk is different from that of a charged ring because the disk has a finite thickness while the ring is infinitely thin. This results in a different distribution of charge and a different mathematical expression for the potential.

Can the electric potential of a charged disk be negative?

Yes, it is possible for the electric potential of a charged disk to be negative. This would occur if the charge on the disk is negative or if the distance from the center of the disk is greater than the radius of the disk.

What is the significance of the electric potential of a charged disk?

The electric potential of a charged disk is a measure of the work that would be done by an external force in bringing a unit positive charge from infinity to a point on the surface of the disk. It helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and their interactions with each other.

Can the formula for the electric potential of a charged disk be used for other shapes?

No, the formula for the electric potential of a charged disk is specific to a disk-shaped charge distribution. For other shapes, the formula would have to be derived using different methods and taking into account the specific geometry and charge distribution of the shape.