Derivation of Fresnel equations / minus sign

In summary, the author is trying to solve for the reflected field, E_R, using the matching conditions that states that the transmitted field, E_I, is equal to the incident field plus the reflected field, at the interface between the 2 media. However, using the same argument, the first matching condition becomes (E_I-E_R)=E_T which is wrong. He eventually solves for E_R using the negative sign inside term E_R to get -E_R.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For an s-polarized wave (E and B fields are orthogonal to the plane of incidence) passing from medium to medium 2, I'm not understanding a minus sign.
The matching conditions are ##\hat n \times (\vec E_2 - \vec E_1)=\vec 0## and ##\hat n \times (\vec H_2 - \vec H_1 )=\vec 0##, where ##\vec E_1 = \vec E_R + \vec E_I## and ##\vec E_2 = \vec E_T##. So far so good: the transmitted E field is equal to the incident one plus the reflected one, at the interface between the 2 media. The same applies for the H field.

Homework Equations

Matching conditions.

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea is that ##\vec E_I## is known and so the 2 matching conditions should allow us to solve for ##\vec E_R## and ##\vec E_T##. We know the relationship between H and E: ##Z_i\vec H_i = \hat k \times \vec E_i##, where Z is the impedance of the medium. So far so good.
Soon comes the problem: using this last relation, I obtain that ##\hat k \times (\vec E_I + \vec E_R)Z_2=\hat k \times \vec E_T Z_1##. So that in terms of magnitude, ##(E_I -E_R)Z_2=E_TZ_1##. That's because ##\vec E_I## and ##\vec E_R## points in opposite directions.
However if I use this same argument then the 1st matching condition becomes ##(E_I-E_R)=E_T## which is wrong. It should be ##(E_I+E_R)=E_T##. I don't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say you have an incident field in the x-y plane (transverse to z) defined by:
##\vec{E_I} = \hat z E_Ie^{-i(x\cos\theta + y \sin \theta) } ##
And it reflects off an interface at y = 0.
Then,
##\vec{E_R} = -\hat z E_Re^{-i(x\cos\theta - y \sin \theta) } ##
Where ##E_R = \Gamma E_I## and ##\Gamma>0##.
In this way, your exterior field has magnitude ##E_I - E_R## with fields defined by ##\vec{E_I}+\vec{E_R}##.

When you say "in terms of magnitude" you are implying that the scalar terms ##E_I, E_R## are both positive.
When you use the vector notation, you can add opposing vectors, as in ##\vec{E_I}+\vec{E_R}##.

Does that address your question, or is there something I am missing?

RUber said:
Let's say you have an incident field in the x-y plane (transverse to z) defined by:
##\vec{E_I} = \hat z E_Ie^{-i(x\cos\theta + y \sin \theta) } ##
And it reflects off an interface at y = 0.
Then,
##\vec{E_R} = -\hat z E_Re^{-i(x\cos\theta - y \sin \theta) } ##
Where ##E_R = \Gamma E_I## and ##\Gamma>0##.
In this way, your exterior field has magnitude ##E_I - E_R## with fields defined by ##\vec{E_I}+\vec{E_R}##.

When you say "in terms of magnitude" you are implying that the scalar terms ##E_I, E_R## are both positive.
When you use the vector notation, you can add opposing vectors, as in ##\vec{E_I}+\vec{E_R}##.

Does that address your question, or is there something I am missing?
Hmm where the time dependence? Also let's keep it simple and let's consider normal incidence so that ##\theta=0##, cos theta becomes 1 and sin theta becomes 0.
As you said, in region 1 the E field is worth ##E_I-E_R## in magnitude, while from a vector point of view we have that ##\vec E=\vec E_I + \vec E_R##.
So then why the matching condion ##\hat n \times (\vec E_2 - \vec E_1) =\vec 0 \Rightarrow \vec E_2 = \vec E_1 \Rightarrow \vec E_T= \vec E_I + \vec E_R## simplifies as ##E_I+E_R=E_T## from a magnitude point of view instead of ##E_I-E_R=E_T##?

fluidistic said:
So then why the matching condion ##\hat n \times (\vec E_2 - \vec E_1) =\vec 0 \Rightarrow \vec E_2 = \vec E_1 \Rightarrow \vec E_T= \vec E_I + \vec E_R## simplifies as ##E_I+E_R=E_T## from a magnitude point of view instead of ##E_I-E_R=E_T##?
I have seen some notation that keeps the negative sign inside term ##E_R##, so that ##|E_R| = -E_R##.
The important thing is that the energy in is equal to the energy out, so ##|\vec E_I| = |\vec E_R| + |\vec E_T| ##. As long as that requirement is satisfied, you can have faith in your notation.

RUber said:
I have seen some notation that keeps the negative sign inside term ##E_R##, so that ##|E_R| = -E_R##.
The important thing is that the energy in is equal to the energy out, so ##|\vec E_I| = |\vec E_R| + |\vec E_T| ##. As long as that requirement is satisfied, you can have faith in your notation.
I am still completely lost. The book (and everywhere else) get ##E_I+E_R=E_T## and ##Z_2(E_I-E_R)=Z_1E_T##.
I don't understand how come there is a plus in one equation but a minus in the other one.

I did a little more digging and found a good reference:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...ring-2011/lecture-notes/MIT6_007S11_lec29.pdf
This shows that
##E_R = rE_I, \quad E_T = t E_I ##
which allows for ##E_R## to be negative, so not "magnitude" per se.
The second condition is derived from the H field, which in terms of the E field has a differential relationship, so the reflected field will have a negative sign in front of it.
In normal incidence, time-harmonic, scenario:
##\vec E_I = \hat x E_I e^{ -i k_1z} ##
##\vec E_R = \hat x rE_I e^{ i k_1z} ##
##\vec E_T = \hat x tE_I e^{ -i k_2z} ##
And ##\vec H = \frac{1}{\mu} \nabla \times \vec E = \text{sign}(i) \hat y \frac{E}{Z}e^{ -i kz} ##
The continuity condition for the H field is:
##\hat n \times(\vec H_1 - \vec H_2 ) = 0## Which leads directly to the condition you refer to with ##Z_2 (E_I - E_R) = Z_1E_T.##

Likes fluidistic
RUber said:
I did a little more digging and found a good reference:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...ring-2011/lecture-notes/MIT6_007S11_lec29.pdf
This shows that
##E_R = rE_I, \quad E_T = t E_I ##
which allows for ##E_R## to be negative, so not "magnitude" per se.
The second condition is derived from the H field, which in terms of the E field has a differential relationship, so the reflected field will have a negative sign in front of it.
In normal incidence, time-harmonic, scenario:
##\vec E_I = \hat x E_I e^{ -i k_1z} ##
##\vec E_R = \hat x rE_I e^{ i k_1z} ##
##\vec E_T = \hat x tE_I e^{ -i k_2z} ##
And ##\vec H = \frac{1}{\mu} \nabla \times \vec E = \text{sign}(i) \hat y \frac{E}{Z}e^{ -i kz} ##
The continuity condition for the H field is:
##\hat n \times(\vec H_1 - \vec H_2 ) = 0## Which leads directly to the condition you refer to with ##Z_2 (E_I - E_R) = Z_1E_T.##
Ok I get it. The thing is that for s-polarized waves, ##\vec E_I## and ##\vec E_R## (and ##\vec E_T## for that matter) have the same direction, while ##\vec H_I## and ##\vec H_R## don't. Hence the conditions ##E_I+E_R=E_T## and ##(E_I -E_R)Z_2=E_TZ_1## so I was wrong in my 1st post to say that ##\vec E_I## and ##\vec E_R## point in opposite directions.

Sorry I was on the wrong track at first. I was thrown off by the discussion of magnitude. Glad to get it squared away.

1. What are the Fresnel equations?

The Fresnel equations are a set of equations used to describe the behavior of light when it passes through an interface between two different materials, such as air and glass.

2. What is the significance of the minus sign in the derivation of Fresnel equations?

The minus sign in the derivation of Fresnel equations is used to account for the change in direction of the reflected light ray. Without this sign, the equations would not accurately describe the behavior of light at an interface.

3. How are the Fresnel equations derived?

The Fresnel equations are derived using the principles of electromagnetic theory and the boundary conditions at an interface between two materials. This involves considering the electric and magnetic fields of incident, reflected, and transmitted light rays at the interface.

4. Why is the derivation of Fresnel equations important?

The derivation of Fresnel equations is important because it allows us to understand and predict how light will behave at an interface between two materials. This has many practical applications, such as in optics and telecommunications.

5. Are the Fresnel equations always accurate?

No, the Fresnel equations are not always accurate. They are based on certain assumptions and simplifications, such as assuming a perfectly smooth and flat interface. In some cases, more complex models may be needed to accurately describe the behavior of light at an interface.