Plane wave passing from vacuum to conductor

In summary, the wave amplitude increases as it moves farther into material 2. This is due to the fact that the metal behaves more like a dielectric when the imaginary part of the wave is small.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A monochromatic plane wave with frequency ##\omega## and real amplitude ##E_0## passes from medium 1 to medium 2 orthogonally with the surface between the 2 media. Both media are semi-infinite; the indices of refraction are ##n_1=\sqrt{\mu_0 \varepsilon _0}## and ##n_2=\sqrt{\mu_0 \varepsilon \left ( 1+ \frac{i4\pi \sigma}{\omega \varepsilon} \right ) }## respectively.
1)Find the system of equations that allows to get the value of all the electric fields in both media.
2)Find the transmitted ##\vec E## field in terms of the incident one.
3)Calculate their phase difference.

Homework Equations

##\vec E_I = \vec E_R + \vec E_T##. In words, the incident electric field is equal to the transmitted plus reflected electric fields.

The Attempt at a Solution

I notice that the problem is basically a plane wave passing from vacuum to a metal, with normal incidence.
I must apply the matching conditions for E and H in order to establish the system of equations asked in part 1).
So: ##\hat n \cdot (\vec E_2 - \vec E_1 )=0## and ##\hat n \times (\vec H_2 - \vec H_1)=\vec 0##.
Now, ##\vec E_2 = \vec E_T## and ##\vec E_1 = \vec E_I + \vec E_R##. I could now go on by writing down the H_i's in terms of the E_i's and answer to the question I suppose.
But I have a doubt: are my matching conditions correct? Because if it's a non perfect conductor, there should be some surface charge density and also a surface current or so... And the matching conditions would not be worth 0, but I am not sure.
I'd appreciate any comment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well... I don't want to do too much of your homework for you. Ok, consider he case where ##\sigma## is much smaller than ##\epsilon##. That is, the magnitude of the imaginary part is very small. What should you observe about the amplitude of the wave as you move farther into material 2? Correspondingly, let ##\sigma## have a somewhat larger value, but still a lot smaller than ##\epsilon##. How would the wave amplitude change in this case? And how would it be different compared to the first case?

In other words, what does that ##\sigma## represent about a wave traveling through a material where it is non-zero?

What is the equation of the wave in a perfectly transmitting material? That is, how does the wave behave as it moves through a material with ##\sigma## zero? What is corresponding equation in the case where ##\sigma## is not zero?

Likes fluidistic
DEvens said:
Well... I don't want to do too much of your homework for you. Ok, consider he case where ##\sigma## is much smaller than ##\epsilon##. That is, the magnitude of the imaginary part is very small. What should you observe about the amplitude of the wave as you move farther into material 2? Correspondingly, let ##\sigma## have a somewhat larger value, but still a lot smaller than ##\epsilon##. How would the wave amplitude change in this case? And how would it be different compared to the first case?

In other words, what does that ##\sigma## represent about a wave traveling through a material where it is non-zero?

What is the equation of the wave in a perfectly transmitting material? That is, how does the wave behave as it moves through a material with ##\sigma## zero? What is corresponding equation in the case where ##\sigma## is not zero?
Here are my thoughts although not backed up by any math:
When the imaginary part is small, the metal behaves each time less as a perfect conductor, it behaves more like a dielectric. So I guess the amplitude in region 2 should increase.
If sigma starts to increase, the metal starts to behave more like a good conductor and the amplitude of the wave should be lesser.
Basically sigma is related to the skin depth, i.e. how far the wave will travel before falling below a threshold of amplitude compared to its maximum amplitude at the surface of the metal. The smaller sigma, the further the wave can penetrate into the metal without falling below a threshold. The bigger sigma, the less the wave can penetrate without having its amplitude decreased until a threshold.

But I do not see how this helps me and especially how this answers my doubt.

Any idea about the matching conditions? Shall I assume no induced current nor charge density? (If so, why? Since it's a metal they should be non zero, right?).
If I must assume that there are induced charges and current, then I would obtain 2 equations with 4 unknowns... no idea how to solve this problem.
Any idea is greatly appreciated.

1. What is a plane wave?

A plane wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has constant amplitude and phase throughout its entire propagation. It is characterized by its direction of propagation, polarization, and frequency.

2. How does a plane wave interact with a conductor?

When a plane wave passes from vacuum to a conductor, the electric field of the wave induces a current in the conductor. This current, in turn, produces an electric field that opposes the incoming wave, causing it to be partially reflected and partially transmitted through the conductor.

3. What happens to the amplitude of a plane wave when it passes from vacuum to a conductor?

The amplitude of a plane wave decreases when it passes from vacuum to a conductor due to the absorption and reflection of the wave by the conductor. The amount of decrease in amplitude depends on the conductivity and thickness of the conductor.

4. How does the frequency of a plane wave change when it passes from vacuum to a conductor?

The frequency of a plane wave remains constant when it passes from vacuum to a conductor. This is because the frequency of the wave is determined by its source and is not affected by the medium through which it propagates.

5. Can a plane wave pass through a conductor without any reflection?

No, a plane wave cannot pass through a conductor without any reflection. This is because the conductor's free electrons will always be induced to produce an opposing electric field, leading to partial reflection of the wave.