Derivation of induced charge on a dielectric

In summary: So, the correct equations should be:E0=σε0EI=σ′k.In summary, the induced charge density on a dielectric placed inside a capacitor is given by (k-1)/k * sigma, where sigma is the charge density of the capacitor plates and k is the dielectric constant. The electric field between the plates is equal to E0-Ei, where E0 is the total electric field due to the plates and Ei is the induced electric field. The total electric field is equal to (sigma/k*epsilon0), and the induced electric field is equal to (sigma'/k*epsilon0). Therefore, the induced charge density is equal to (k-1)/k * sigma.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show the the induced charge density on a dielectric placed inside a capacitor is given by $$\frac{k-1}{k}\sigma$$ where ##\sigma## is the charge density of the capacitor plates and ##k## is the dielectric constant.

Homework Equations

$$E=\frac{E_0}{k}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20151204_150222_024.JPG

Using the above image, let ##E_0## be the electric field before inserting the dielectric and ##E_i## be the induced electric field.

Total electric field between the plates $$E=E_0-E_i$$
$$\frac{E_0}{k}=E_0-E_i$$
$$E_i=\frac{k-1}{k}E_0$$

Now, ##E_0## is the total electric field due to the plates of the capacitor which is equal to ##\frac{\sigma}{k\epsilon_0}##. The factor of ##k## is because the medium is not vacuum anymore. (Clarification needed because in my book, K does not come in both the expressions for ##E_0## and ##E_i##).
Similarly, ##E_i=\frac{\sigma'}{k\epsilon_0}##

Hence, ##\sigma'=\frac{K-1}{K}\sigma##.

Although I got the answer, in my book, its given ##E_0=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}## and ##E_I=\frac{\sigma'}{k}##. The K term is missing. Is it a printing error or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Titan97 said:

Homework Statement

Show the the induced charge density on a dielectric placed inside a capacitor is given by $$\frac{k-1}{k}\sigma$$ where ##\sigma## is the charge density of the capacitor plates and ##k## is the dielectric constant.

Homework Equations

$$E=\frac{E_0}{k}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 92877

Using the above image, let ##E_0## be the electric field before inserting the dielectric and ##E_i## be the induced electric field.

Total electric field between the plates $$E=E_0-E_i$$
$$\frac{E_0}{k}=E_0-E_i$$
$$E_i=\frac{k-1}{k}E_0$$

Now, ##E_0## is the total electric field due to the plates of the capacitor which is equal to ##\frac{\sigma}{k\epsilon_0}##. The factor of ##k## is because the medium is not vacuum anymore. (Clarification needed because in my book, K does not come in both the expressions for ##E_0## and ##E_i##).
Similarly, ##E_i=\frac{\sigma'}{k\epsilon_0}##

Hence, ##\sigma'=\frac{K-1}{K}\sigma##.

Although I got the answer, in my book, its given ##E_0=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}## and ##E_I=\frac{\sigma'}{k}##. The K term is missing. Is it a printing error or am I wrong?
Your answer looks correct to me.
Titan97 said:
in my book, its given E0=σϵ0E_0=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} and EI=σ′k
εo is missing in E1 and k is missing in E0. I believe that's a printing mistake as you said.

Likes Titan97

1. What is the definition of induced charge on a dielectric?

Induced charge on a dielectric is the net electric charge that is produced on the surface of a dielectric material when it is placed in an external electric field.

2. How is the induced charge on a dielectric calculated?

The induced charge on a dielectric is calculated using the equation Q = χεE, where Q is the induced charge, χ is the electric susceptibility of the dielectric material, ε is the permittivity of the material, and E is the strength of the external electric field.

3. What is the role of a dielectric material in induced charge?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that can be polarized when placed in an electric field. This polarization leads to the creation of induced charges on the surface of the material.

4. How does the dielectric constant affect the induced charge on a dielectric?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized. A higher dielectric constant means that the material is more easily polarized, resulting in a larger induced charge on the surface of the material.

5. Can the induced charge on a dielectric be negative?

Yes, the induced charge on a dielectric can be negative. This occurs when the dielectric material is polarized in the opposite direction of the external electric field, resulting in an induced charge that is opposite in sign to the external field.