Derivation of Integral Arc Length Formula

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of the integral formula for arc length in the textbook Engineering Mathematics by Stroud. The formula includes a log term, which the person is confused about and questioning its origin and placement. Another person suggests posting a scan of the page for clarification. The first person then explains their understanding of the formula and the confusion caused by the log term. Finally, they agree that the log term does not seem to fit in the derivation.
El Moriana

Homework Statement

My textbook [Engineering Mathematics, Stroud, 6th Edition, page932] runs through the derivation of the integral formula for arc length. I got confused at one of the steps:

[partial](ds/dx)=sqrt(1+([partial](dy/dx))^2)
if [partial]dx tends to 0,
ds/dx=sqrt(1+log(dy/dx)^2)
s=intab(sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2))

Where does the log come from and where does it go?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post a scan of that page or at least that section with the derivation?

I don't think that log is supposed to be there.

How I learned it was in a curve if you join any two points, the 'x' distance would be Δx and the corresponding 'y' distance would be Δy. The chord length would be related as

(ΔS)2= (Δx)2 +(Δy)2

or

(ΔS/Δx)2 = 1 + (Δy/Δx)2

as Δx→0, Δy/Δx = dy/dx and ΔS/Δx = dS/dx

so

[tex]\frac{dS}{dx} = \sqrt{1+ \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)}[/tex]

which you can then integrate.

Here we go, apologies for the messy formula earlier, I didnt realize there was a Latex button.
I was expecting exactly what you typed in the derivation, hence the confusion on my part.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,714
I really don't think that 'log' should be there. Else the next step does not make sense.

Ok, well thanks for looking it over.

Related to Derivation of Integral Arc Length Formula

What is the purpose of deriving the integral arc length formula?

The integral arc length formula is used to calculate the length of a curve, which is necessary for many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

How is the integral arc length formula derived?

The formula is derived by dividing the curve into small segments and approximating each segment with a straight line. These segments are then added together, and as the number of segments approaches infinity, the approximation becomes more accurate and the formula is derived.

What is the significance of the integral in the formula?

The integral represents the sum of all the small segments that make up the curve. By taking the integral, we are able to account for the infinitesimal changes in the curve and get an accurate measurement of its length.

What are the limitations of the integral arc length formula?

The formula can only be used to calculate the length of smooth curves and cannot be applied to curves with sharp corners or discontinuities. Additionally, the formula can become very complex for some curves, making it difficult to calculate the length.

How is the integral arc length formula used in real-world applications?

The formula is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, to calculate the length of curves. It is also used in calculus to solve problems involving arc length and to find the distance traveled by a moving object with a changing velocity.