Using dy/dx to find arc length of a parametric equation

In summary: Ok, I see what you mean now, the ##dy/dx## is still in terms of t which is why the the integrand is incorrect. Thank you for clearing that up!
Coderhk

Homework Statement

I have attached a picture of the problem in the attachments

I need help on the last section, (part d)

Homework Equations

(1)##∫√( (dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2)dt##
(2)##∫√( 1+(dy/dx)^2)dx##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to get the answer we just need to find the arc-length of the position curve which could be done using the first equation. However, instead of using the first equation I divided ##dy/dt## by ##dx/dt## to find ##dy/dx##. Using dy/dx I plugged it into the second equation and got a different answer. Why is that so? Shouldn't they both yield the same answer? For both equations I used from 2 to 4 as the limits of integration.

Thanks[/B]

Attachments

• b.png
    b.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Coderhk said:
Using dy/dx I plugged it into the second equation and got a different answer
I don't see what you do (not clearvoyant). Please post your attempt in full.
Coderhk said:
For both equations I used from 2 to 4 as the limits of integration.
And why is that ?

BvU said:
I don't see what you do (not clearvoyant). Please post your attempt in full.
And why is that ?
I plugged this into a calculator and got 5.975

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    9 KB · Views: 402
Coderhk said:
I plugged this into a calculator and got 5.975
Sure. But x starts at 1 and ends at what you (?) found .

And you have an integrand that is a function of t, not of x. So you either need to express dx as a function of t (and then you are back again to the solution manual), or express the integrand as a function of x, which I think is pretty tough.

BvU said:
Sure. But x starts at 1 and ends at what you (?) found .

And you have an integrand that is a function of t, not of x. So you either need to express dx as a function of t (and then you are back again to the solution manual), or express the integrand as a function of x, which I think is pretty tough.
Wouldn't the limit of integration actually be from 1 to 1.252 (answer from part b), I tried that and I got 0.439. Also, what do you mean by expressing the integrand as a function of x? Isn't it already as a function of x? I just simply plugged it into the formula ##∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx##

Coderhk said:
I tried
Can't be: you don't have ##t(x)## yet, so you can't integrate. Your result is simply the result of the wrong integration. And "I" got 0.441251 !?
Coderhk said:
Isn't it already as a function of x?
It certainly is not: dividing two functions of ##t## does not change the ##t## into an ##x## !

Likes Coderhk
BvU said:
Can't be: you don't have ##t(x)## yet, so you can't integrate. Your result is simply the result of the wrong integration. And "I" got 0.441251 !?
It certainly is not: dividing two functions of ##t## does not change the ##t## into an ##x## !
Ok, I see what you mean now, the ##dy/dx## is still in terms of t which is why the the integrand is incorrect. Thank you

Likes BvU

1. What is dy/dx in a parametric equation?

In a parametric equation, dy/dx represents the derivative of the y-coordinate with respect to the x-coordinate. It is used to measure the rate of change of the y-coordinate as the x-coordinate changes.

2. How is dy/dx used to find the arc length of a parametric equation?

To find the arc length of a parametric equation, the derivative dy/dx is used to calculate the length of each infinitesimal segment along the curve. These segments are then added up to find the total arc length.

3. Can dy/dx be used to find the arc length of any parametric equation?

Yes, dy/dx can be used to find the arc length of any parametric equation as long as the equation is differentiable and has a continuous derivative. This means that the curve must be smooth and have no sharp corners or breaks.

4. What are the limitations of using dy/dx to find arc length?

Using dy/dx to find arc length can be a tedious and time-consuming process, especially for complex parametric equations. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and the ability to manipulate integrals. Additionally, it may not be accurate for highly curved or irregular curves.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the arc length of a parametric equation?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using the arc length formula for parametric curves or using numerical integration techniques. These methods may be more efficient and accurate, but they also require a good understanding of calculus and mathematical software.