Derivation of mass invariance using Lorentz transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rest or invariant mass and the use of the Lorentz transformation to derive it. The energy-momentum relation in special relativity is also mentioned. Textbooks such as "Introduction to Special Relativity" and "Special Relativity: A First Encounter" are recommended for further understanding.
chris_0101

Homework Statement

As the title suggests, I need help finding resources that clearly shows the step by step process of the derivation of the rest or invariant mass using the Lorentz transformation.

Homework Equations

Energy-momentum relation

The Attempt at a Solution

Not looking for an actual solution (even though that would be a bonus, lol) but I'm looking for a resource that will help me understand this concept. I'm not too picky either, let it be a wiki page to a textbook, I'm just desperate for guidance at this point in time.

thanks, in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
!

The concept of rest or invariant mass is an important one in the field of special relativity. It is defined as the mass of an object when it is at rest, or when its velocity is zero. This is in contrast to the relativistic mass, which takes into account the effects of the object's velocity.

To understand the derivation of the rest mass using the Lorentz transformation, it is important to first understand the energy-momentum relation in special relativity. This relation states that the energy (E) of an object is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c^2).

E = mc^2

Now, let's consider an object with a rest mass m0 and a velocity v. According to the Lorentz transformation, the energy of this object can be expressed as:

E = γm0c^2

where γ is the Lorentz factor, given by:

γ = 1/√(1-v^2/c^2)

Substituting this into the energy-momentum relation, we get:

γm0c^2 = mc^2

Simplifying, we get:

m = γm0

This is the relativistic mass of the object. However, when the velocity v is zero, the Lorentz factor becomes 1, and the relativistic mass reduces to the rest mass:

m0 = m/γ

Therefore, we can see that the rest mass is the mass of an object when its velocity is zero, and it can be derived from the relativistic mass using the Lorentz transformation.

For a more in-depth explanation and step-by-step derivation, I would recommend referring to a textbook on special relativity, such as "Introduction to Special Relativity" by David J. Griffiths or "Special Relativity: A First Encounter" by Domenico Giulini.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the concept. Best of luck with your studies!

Related to Derivation of mass invariance using Lorentz transformation

1. What is the concept of mass invariance?

The concept of mass invariance states that the mass of an object remains constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that the mass of an object will be the same no matter how fast it is moving or from which direction it is being observed.

2. How does mass invariance relate to the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of relativity. It is used to calculate how measurements of time and space change for an observer moving at a constant velocity. Mass invariance is a consequence of the Lorentz transformation, as it shows that the mass of an object will remain the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. What is the significance of mass invariance in physics?

Mass invariance is a fundamental principle in physics, as it is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity. It also has significant implications in the study of particle physics, as it allows for the calculation of the mass of particles at different energies and velocities.

4. How is the derivation of mass invariance using Lorentz transformation performed?

The derivation of mass invariance using Lorentz transformation involves using the equations for energy and momentum in special relativity, along with the Lorentz transformation equations, to show that the mass of an object is the same for all observers. This derivation relies on the concept of relativistic momentum, which takes into account the effects of an object's velocity on its mass.

5. Are there any real-world examples of mass invariance?

Yes, there are several real-world examples of mass invariance. One example is the mass of an electron, which remains the same regardless of its velocity or the observer's frame of reference. Another example is the mass of a proton, which also remains constant despite its motion. Additionally, the mass of a photon, which has no rest mass, is also invariant as it always travels at the speed of light.