Derivation of Taylor Series in R^n

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation for Taylor series in ℝ##^n## and specifically focuses on a passage where the Taylor expansion is used. The question is raised as to why ##g''_{(\tau)}## is used instead of ##g''_{(0)}##. The expert summarizer provides the formula for the Taylor expansion of first order with remainder and explains that in general, if ##g \in C^{n+1}##, the Taylor series with remainder can be used. The expert also suggests looking at a textbook or online resources for further understanding.
mastrofoffi
I was studying the derivation for taylor series in ℝ##^n## on my book and I have some trouble understanding a passage; it's the very beginning actually:

##f : A## ⊆ ℝ##^n## → ℝ
##f ## ∈ ##C^2(A)##
##x_0## ∈ ##A##

"be ##g_{(t)} = f_{(x_0 + vt)}## where v is a generic versor, then we have:
##g_{(t)} = g_{(0)} + g'_{(0)}t + \frac{1}{2}g''_{(\tau)}t^2## where ##\tau ∈ [0, t]##"

I don't understand why is it ok to do taylor expansion centered in t=0 and then use ##g''_{(\tau)}## instead of ##g''_{(0)}##?
I'm actually fine with the rest of the demonstration which is quite easy but I'd like to understand what he's doing here; I was pretty sure it could be something coming from Lagrange's theorem(he uses it everywhere) but I can't really see it here.

Physics news on Phys.org
mastrofoffi said:
I was studying the derivation for taylor series in ℝ##^n## on my book and I have some trouble understanding a passage; it's the very beginning actually:

##f : A## ⊆ ℝ##^n## → ℝ
##f ## ∈ ##C^2(A)##
##x_0## ∈ ##A##

"be ##g_{(t)} = f_{(x_0 + vt)}## where v is a generic versor, then we have:
##g_{(t)} = g_{(0)} + g'_{(0)}t + \frac{1}{2}g''_{(\tau)}t^2## where ##\tau ∈ [0, t]##"

I don't understand why is it ok to do taylor expansion centered in t=0 and then use ##g''_{(\tau)}## instead of ##g''_{(0)}##?
I'm actually fine with the rest of the demonstration which is quite easy but I'd like to understand what he's doing here; I was pretty sure it could be something coming from Lagrange's theorem(he uses it everywhere) but I can't really see it here.

The Taylor expansion of first order with remainder for a univariate function is
$$g(t) = g(0) + t g'(0) + \frac{t^2}{2!} g''(\tau),$$
where ##\tau## is a value between ##0## and ##t##.

In general, if ##g \in C^{n+1}## we have
$$g(t) = g(0) + t g'(0) + \frac{t^2}{2!} g''(0) + \cdots + \frac{t^n}{n!} g^{(n)}(0) + \frac{t^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} g^{(n+1)}(\tau).$$

See your textbook, or look on-line for "Taylor series with remainder".

Likes mastrofoffi
Oh, so it is the remainder in lagrange form for the 1st order expansion.
Its so obvious now that i see it! I can't believe i got stuck on this ahah thank you ^^

1. What is the purpose of deriving Taylor Series in R^n?

The purpose of deriving Taylor Series in R^n is to approximate a non-linear function with a polynomial function. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of the original function.

2. How is the Taylor Series formula derived in R^n?

The Taylor Series formula in R^n is derived using the Maclaurin Series, which is a special case of the Taylor Series where the center point is 0. The formula involves taking derivatives of the original function at the center point and plugging them into the formula.

3. Can the Taylor Series be used for any function in R^n?

No, the Taylor Series can only be used for smooth and continuous functions in R^n. If the function is not smooth and continuous, the Taylor Series will not converge to the original function and will not be a good approximation.

4. How many terms are needed in the Taylor Series to get an accurate approximation?

The number of terms needed in the Taylor Series depends on the function and the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more terms included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Can the Taylor Series be used for multi-variable functions in R^n?

Yes, the Taylor Series can be extended to multi-variable functions in R^n. However, the process of deriving the series becomes more complex as it involves partial derivatives and multiple variables.