Derivation of the Boltzmann distribution (Dr. David Tong)

In summary, Dr. David Tong derives the Boltzmann distribution by considering a system in contact with a heat reservoir at a temperature T. He then calculates the number of microstates of the combined system and explains that in his notes, he takes the system A to be a simple particle with a non-degenerate, discrete energy spectrum, resulting in a multiplicity of 1. This clarifies any confusion about the number of microstates of the system A itself.
soviet1100
Hello!

Dr. David Tong, in his statistical physics notes, derives the Boltzmann distribution in the following manner.

He considers a system (say A) in contact with a heat reservoir (say R) that is at a temperature T. He then writes that the number of microstates of the combined system (A and R) is

[itex] \Omega (E_{total}) = \sum\nolimits_{n} \Omega_{R}(E_{total}-E_n) [/itex]

where the summation is over all states of the system A (states of A are labelled as |n>, each of which has energy E_n )

Can anyone help me understand how he arrives at the equation above? What about the microstates of the system A itself? I was of the understanding that the number of microstates of the composite system would be

[itex] \Omega (E_{total}) = \Omega_{R}(E_{total}-E_{n})\,. \Omega_{A}(E_{n}) [/itex]

Grateful for any help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the notes you are referring to, but in derivations I've seen, you take the system A to be a simple particle with a non-degenerate, discrete energy spectrum. The multiplicity of the system is then 1.

DrClaude said:
I don't know the notes you are referring to, but in derivations I've seen, you take the system A to be a simple particle with a non-degenerate, discrete energy spectrum. The multiplicity of the system is then 1.
thank you, DrClaude. That cleared my question.

1. What is the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of particles with different energies in a thermodynamic system that is in thermal equilibrium. It is named after Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann and is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics.

2. What is the significance of the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of a large number of particles in a thermodynamic system. It provides a way to calculate the probability of a particle having a particular energy at a given temperature, which is essential in many areas of physics and engineering.

3. How is the Boltzmann distribution derived?

The Boltzmann distribution is derived using statistical mechanics, which is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles. Specifically, it is derived using the principles of ensemble theory, which considers the entire collection of particles in a system rather than individual particles.

4. What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the Boltzmann distribution?

The derivation of the Boltzmann distribution assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that the temperature is constant throughout the system. It also assumes that the particles in the system are non-interacting and that the system is in a fixed volume.

5. How is the Boltzmann distribution used in practical applications?

The Boltzmann distribution is used in a wide range of practical applications, including thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is used to calculate the probability of a particle having a particular energy in a system, which is essential for understanding the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids at a microscopic level.