Derivation of the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator

In summary, the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator is a mathematical tool used in physics to describe the momentum of a system raised to a given power. It is derived from the momentum operator, which represents the rate of change of a particle's momentum over time. By raising the momentum operator to a power, the resulting operator is able to describe the momentum of a system with higher accuracy and precision, making it a useful tool for studying complex physical systems.
Happiness

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 11.47.41 pm.png

Homework Equations

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 11.48.08 pm.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First substitute ##\Phi(p,t)## in terms of ##\Psi(r,t)## and similarly for ##\Phi^*(p,t)##, and substitute ##p_x^n## in terms of the differentiation operator
##< p_x^n>\,=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int\int e^{ip.r'/\hbar}\Psi^*(r',t)\,dr'\int(i\hbar)^n(\frac{\partial^n}{\partial x^n}e^{-ip.r/\hbar})\Psi(r,t)\,dr\,dp##

Then integrate by parts with respect to ##x##. The integrated part vanishes since ##\Psi(r,t)## equals to 0 at infinity. We have
##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int\int e^{ip.r'/\hbar}\Psi^*(r',t)\,dr'\int(i\hbar)^{n-1}(\frac{\partial^{n-1}}{\partial x^{n-1}}e^{-ip.r/\hbar})\Big[-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi(r,t)\Big]\,dr\,dp##

Then I'm stuck because it seems like we need to integrate by parts with respect to ##x## again for another ##(n-1)## times in order to get
##=(2\pi\hbar)^{-3}\int\int e^{ip.r'/\hbar}\Psi^*(r',t)\,dr'\int e^{-ip.r/\hbar}\Big[(-i\hbar)^n\frac{\partial^n}{\partial x^n}\Psi(r,t)\Big]\,dr\,dp##.

But now the integrated part no longer vanishes since ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi(r,t)## and higher derivatives may not be 0 at infinity. So we can't get the above that we need.
The proof for the case of ##< p_x>## is attached below for reference.
Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 11.51.11 pm.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I think I got it. It seems like we have to assume the derivatives of a wave function are all 0 at infinity.

Happiness said:
Oh I think I got it. It seems like we have to assume the derivatives of a wave function are all 0 at infinity.
Right. And it is natural. I, for one, cannot imagine a continuous function who would go to zero at infinity but whose derivative would not. If someone has such an example, I would love to see it!

What is the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator?

The momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the momentum of a particle raised to a power, denoted as p^n. It is often used in calculations involving the energy of a particle.

How is the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator derived?

The derivation of the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator involves using the Schrödinger equation and the Hamiltonian operator to find the expression for the momentum operator. This is then generalized to the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator by raising the momentum operator to the desired power.

What is the significance of the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the momentum of a particle raised to any power, providing a more accurate description of the energy of the particle. It is also used in the calculation of other important physical quantities, such as the angular momentum operator.

How does the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator differ from the regular momentum operator?

The momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator differs from the regular momentum operator in that it takes into account the power to which the momentum is being raised. This allows for a more precise calculation of the energy of a particle, especially in cases where the momentum is raised to a high power.

Can the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator be applied to all particles?

Yes, the momentum-to-the-power-of-n operator can be applied to all particles, as long as the principles of quantum mechanics apply. It is commonly used in calculations involving particles with spin, such as electrons, but can also be used for particles without spin, such as photons.