Derivation of the orbital analysis equation and its physical significance

In summary, the equation states that the s-character of the axial orbitals in a sp hybridized orbital is 0 and hence it is also used to prove bents rule which states that the most electronegative element in a sp hybridized orbital takes the axial positions of the trigonal bipyramid that is formed.
Hamiltonian
TL;DR Summary
unable to prove/derive theoretically the relation between bond angle and s and p character of a hybridized orbital.
$$cos\theta = \frac {s}{1-s} = \frac{p-1}{p}$$
in this equation ##\theta## is the bond angle and ##s## and ##p## are the fractional s-character of the orbital and p-character of the orbital.
This is equation is used rigorously in showing that the s-character of the axial orbitals in a ##sp^3d## hybridized orbital is 0 and hence it is also used to prove bents rule which states that the most electronegative element in a ##sp^3d## hybridized orbital takes the axial positions of the trigonal bipyramid that is formed. But I am unable to find a formal proof/derivation of this equation on the internet or in my textbook.
Is this relation between the bond angle and the s/p character very obvious that it does not need a proof/derivation?
(also I am assuming there might be an experimental proof for this formula but I am not looking for that rather a theoretical proof of this equation will be nice)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can't say this relation makes sense, for s>0.5 cos(θ) would be larger than 1.

Borek said:
Can't say this relation makes sense, for s>0.5 cos(θ) would be larger than 1.
I am so sorry I made a typo it is actually $$cos\theta = \frac{s}{s-1}$$

Still fails, now for s>0.5.

Borek said:
Still fails, now for s>0.5.
I thought it was clear no hybridized orbital can have an s character more than 50%(0.5 fractional) as sp hybridized orbital has the least number of orbitals(2) combining and has 50% s-character in both orbitals. Hence the equation does not fail.
also, this very fact was used in Dragos rule...

OK, for "standard", non fractional hybridizations it will hold.

Apparently I know a bit too much to properly understand the problem as defined here.

Borek said:
OK, for "standard", non fractional hybridizations it will hold.

Apparently I know a bit too much to properly understand the problem as defined here.
maybe this particular equation isn't very popular(because it isn't very general?)

I don't remember being taught it. Doesn't mean much.

On the second thought I could get s and p reversed. My bad.

1. What is the orbital analysis equation?

The orbital analysis equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the orbit of an object around a central body, such as a planet orbiting a star. It takes into account factors such as the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the gravitational force between the two bodies.

2. How is the orbital analysis equation derived?

The orbital analysis equation is derived from Newton's laws of motion and his law of universal gravitation. It involves using calculus to solve for the trajectory of an object in a gravitational field, taking into account the changing force and acceleration as the object moves through space.

3. What is the physical significance of the orbital analysis equation?

The physical significance of the orbital analysis equation lies in its ability to accurately predict the motion of objects in space. It is used in various fields, such as astronomy and aerospace engineering, to plan and execute missions, as well as to study the behavior of celestial bodies.

4. Can the orbital analysis equation be applied to all types of orbits?

Yes, the orbital analysis equation can be applied to any type of orbit, as long as the object is subject to a central gravitational force. This includes circular, elliptical, and parabolic orbits. However, it may not be as accurate for highly eccentric or chaotic orbits.

5. How is the orbital analysis equation used in space exploration?

The orbital analysis equation is used in space exploration to plan and execute missions, such as sending spacecraft to other planets or studying the behavior of comets and asteroids. It is also used to calculate the trajectories of satellites and spacecraft in Earth's orbit, ensuring their safe and efficient operation.