Derivation with x^2 and root x

In summary, The derivative of x^2 * sqrt(x) can be found by applying the product rule, which states that the derivative of two functions multiplied together is equal to the first function's derivative multiplied by the second function, plus the second function's derivative multiplied by the first function. By simplifying the resulting expression, it can be seen that the derivative is equal to 5x*sqrt(x)/2. Alternatively, the problem can also be solved using the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is equal to n*x^(n-1). In this case, x^2 * sqrt(x) can be rewritten as x^(2+0.5) and its derivative is equal to 5x^(1.
disregardthat
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

derivate: [tex]x^2 \sqrt{x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex](u \cdot v)^\prime = u^\prime \cdot v + v^\prime \cdot u[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found:
[tex](x^2)^\prime = 2x[/tex]
[tex](\sqrt{x})^\prime = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{x}}[/tex]

I entered them into the equation:

[tex]2x \cdot \sqrt{x} + x^2 \cdot \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{x}} = 2x \sqrt{x} + \frac{x^2}{2 \sqrt{x}}[/tex]

But this is not correct!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it is not correct?

Try to get rid of the square root in the denominator.

Can you simplify your last expression?

Ok, sorry. I checked it on my calculator many times and never got the correct result. But this time I did, by adding some extra brackets.. My calc just won't accept things with having it stuffed in with brackets!

Simplify? I guess you could simplify it:
[tex]2x \sqrt{x} + \frac{x^2}{2 \sqrt{x}} = \frac{4x^{1.5}}{2} + \frac{x^{1.5}}{2} = \frac{5x^{1.5}}{2} = \frac{5x \sqrt{x}}{2}[/tex]

Jesus christ, now my textbook's answer is correct too!
Well, I guess that's a good thing. I must have seen on it uncorrectly. I got it right now... Much making a topic about ...

FYI, you can do this problem without the product rule -- do you see how?

When you say it I think so, yes.

[tex]x^2 \sqrt{x} = x^{2+0.5} = x^{2.5} = x^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

[tex](x^{\frac{5}{2}})^\prime = \frac{5}{2} \cdot x = \frac{5x}{2}[/tex]

Jarle said:
When you say it I think so, yes.

[tex]x^2 \sqrt{x} = x^{2+0.5} = x^{2.5} = x^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

[tex](x^{\frac{5}{2}})^\prime = \frac{5}{2} \cdot x = \frac{5x}{2}[/tex]

missing exponent?

Of course
[tex]\frac{5x^{\frac{3}{2}}}{2}[/tex]

Related to Derivation with x^2 and root x

What is the definition of "derivation with x^2 and root x"?

Derivation with x^2 and root x refers to the process of finding the rate of change of a function that includes both x squared and the square root of x. This involves using the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the function.

What is the general formula for finding the derivative of a function with x^2 and root x?

The general formula for finding the derivative of a function with x^2 and root x is f'(x) = (2x + 1)/(2√x).

How do I solve for the derivative of a specific function with x^2 and root x?

To solve for the derivative of a specific function with x^2 and root x, you can follow the general formula and substitute the function's values for x and √x. For example, if the function is f(x) = x^2 + √x, the derivative would be f'(x) = (2x + 1)/(2√x).

What are some common mistakes when differentiating with x^2 and root x?

Some common mistakes when differentiating with x^2 and root x include forgetting to use the chain rule for the square root, mixing up the order of operations, and forgetting to distribute the derivative to both terms in the function.

How is the derivative of a function with x^2 and root x used in real life?

The derivative of a function with x^2 and root x is used in various fields of science and engineering to calculate rates of change, optimize processes, and make predictions. For example, it can be used in physics to calculate the velocity of an object at a given time, or in economics to determine the maximum profit for a certain product. Additionally, it can also be used in the medical field to model the growth of tumors or predict the spread of diseases.