Can anyone please verify/confirm these derivatives?

In summary, @Math100's guess is correct: y is a function of t. @Math100 also confirmed that y' means ##\frac{dy}{dt}##.
Math100
Homework Statement
If ## F(x, y')=\sqrt{x^2+y'^2} ##, find ## \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}, \frac{dF}{dx} ## and ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}) ##. Also show that ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'})=\frac{\partial}{\partial y'}(\frac{dF}{dx}) ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Note that ## \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=\frac{2x}{2\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=0, \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}=\frac{2y'}{2\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}}=\frac{y'}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}} ##.
Now we have ## \frac{dF}{dx}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}y'+\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}y"=\frac{x+y'y"}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}} ##.
Observe that ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'})=\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{y'}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}})=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}\cdot \frac{d}{dx}(y')-y'\cdot \frac{d}{dx}(\sqrt{x^2+y'^2})}{x^2+y'^2}=\frac{y"\cdot \sqrt{x^2+y'^2}-y'(\frac{x+y'y"}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}})}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}}=\frac{y"(x^2+y'^2)-y'(x+y'y")}{(x^2+y'^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} ##.
Also ## \frac{\partial}{\partial y'}(\frac{dF}{dx})=\frac{\partial}{\partial y'}(\frac{x+y'y"}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}})=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}\cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial y'}(x+y'y")-(x+y'y")\cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial y'}(\sqrt{x^2+y'^2})}{x^2+y'^2}=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}\cdot y"-(x+y'y")\cdot (\frac{y'}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}})}{x^2+y'^2}=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}(\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}\cdot y")-y'(x+y'y")}{\sqrt{x^2+y'^2}}\cdot \frac{1}{x^2+y'^2}=\frac{y"(x^2+y'^2)-y'(x+y'y")}{(x^2+y'^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} ##.
Therefore, ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'})=\frac{\partial}{\partial y'}(\frac{dF}{dx}) ##.

Physics news on Phys.org
As @fresh_42 suggested in another similar question, please try to avoid using y' as a variable, given it often is used to denote the derivative of y. Further, ##\partial F/ \partial y## is confusing , when dealing with ## F(x,y')##.

WWGD said:
As @fresh_42 suggested in another similar question, please try to avoid using y' as a variable, given it often is used to denote the derivative of y. Further, ##\partial F/ \partial y## is confusing , when dealing with ## F(x,y')##.
I'm guessing that y is a function of a single other variable, say t. If so, y' means ##\frac{dy}{dt}##.
@Math100, please confirm or deny my guess here.

Likes jim mcnamara and WWGD
Mark44 said:
I'm guessing that y is a function of a single other variable, say t. If so, y' means ##\frac{dy}{dt}##.
@Math100, please confirm or deny my guess here.
Yes, I confirm.

WWGD said:
I tried to avoid it too, but the book's problems were all written like that.

Likes WWGD
@Math100, you have ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial y} = 0##. I haven't worked this out, but I don't think this is right.
The other three first partials look OK to me, at a glance. Haven't checked your work on the mixed partials.

1. What is the purpose of verifying/confirming derivatives?

The purpose of verifying/confirming derivatives is to ensure that the calculated values are accurate and correct. This is important in scientific research as it helps to validate the results and conclusions drawn from the data.

2. How do you verify/confirm derivatives?

Derivatives can be verified/confirmed by using mathematical techniques such as differentiation and integration. Additionally, comparing the calculated values with known values or using software programs can also help to verify/confirm the derivatives.

3. Why is it important to verify/confirm derivatives?

Verifying/confirming derivatives is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data. It also helps to identify any errors or inconsistencies in the calculations, which can then be corrected to obtain more accurate results.

4. What are some common mistakes when calculating derivatives?

Some common mistakes when calculating derivatives include incorrect use of mathematical rules, incorrect application of formulas, and incorrect input of data. It is important to double-check the calculations and use reliable sources to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can derivatives be verified/confirmed for all types of functions?

Yes, derivatives can be verified/confirmed for all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, the methods for verification/confirmation may vary depending on the type of function.