How Do You Compute Derivatives in Dirac Notation with Mathematica?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to get the partial derivative of an integral with respect to two variables, Si[t] and Phi[t], using Mathematica. The operator H represents the partial derivative with respect to t, but the result is a strange term. The person is seeking advice and assistance with this problem.
Jooya
Hi everybody,

I am trying to get the partial derivative of the following with respect to Si[t] and Phi[t] separately:

Integrate[<Phi[t]|H|Si[t]>]

The operator H is the partial derivative with respect to t.

I tried this in Mathematica, calling

Needs["Quantum`Notation`"]

but I end up with an strange term : " zz080Bra' "

Any help and advice in this line is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jooya said:
I am trying to get the partial derivative of the following with respect to Si[t] and Phi[t] separately:

Integrate[<Phi[t]|H|Si[t]>]

The operator H is the partial derivative with respect to t.
I don't see how to make sense of this. For starters, if [itex]|\phi(t)\rangle[/itex] is a ket, [itex]\phi(t)[/itex] doesn't make sense on its own, and [itex]\partial/\partial\phi(t)[/itex] makes even less sense.

I would like to clarify that the concept of derivative in Dirac notation is slightly different from the traditional mathematical definition of derivative. In quantum mechanics, the state of a system is represented by a vector in a Hilbert space, and the operators that act on these states are represented by matrices. In this notation, the derivative of a state vector with respect to a variable is represented by a new operator, called the derivative operator, which acts on the state vector and gives the derivative of the state with respect to that variable.

In your case, the operator H represents the partial derivative with respect to time, and you are trying to calculate the derivative of the integral of a state vector with respect to the states Si[t] and Phi[t] separately. This can be done by using the chain rule of differentiation, which in Dirac notation is represented by the commutator [H, A] where A is the operator representing the state vector.

I am not familiar with the specific function you are using in Mathematica, but the error you are getting is most likely due to incorrect syntax or missing arguments. I would suggest consulting the documentation or seeking help from a Mathematica expert to resolve this issue.

In conclusion, the concept of derivative in Dirac notation is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, but it requires a different approach and understanding compared to traditional mathematics. I hope this helps in your calculations and further exploration of quantum mechanics.

I can understand your confusion and frustration with this problem. The use of Dirac notation in quantum mechanics can be tricky, but let me try to provide some guidance on how to approach this derivative.

Firstly, in Dirac notation, the operator H is represented by <Phi[t]|H|Si[t]>, where |Si[t]> and <Phi[t]| are the bra and ket vectors representing the states Si[t] and Phi[t], respectively. The partial derivative with respect to t can be written as <Phi[t]|d/dt|Si[t]>, where d/dt is the derivative operator.

To take the partial derivative of the integral, we need to use the Leibniz integral rule, which states that the derivative of an integral with respect to a variable can be written as the integral of the derivative of the integrand with respect to that variable. In this case, we have:

d/dt Integrate[<Phi[t]|H|Si[t]>] = Integrate[d/dt <Phi[t]|H|Si[t]>]

Now, using the definition of the derivative operator, we can rewrite this as:

= Integrate[<Phi[t]|d/dt|Si[t]> + <Phi[t]|H|d/dt|Si[t]>]

Since <Phi[t]|Si[t]> is a scalar, we can pull it out of the integral and write:

= <Phi[t]|Si[t]>*Integrate[d/dt + H|Si[t]>]

This is the general form of the partial derivative in Dirac notation. Now, to evaluate the specific derivative with respect to Si[t] and Phi[t], we need to consider the properties of the bra and ket vectors. In general, <A|B> is equal to the complex conjugate of <B|A>. So, for our case, we have:

d/dSi[t] = <Phi[t]|d/dt|Si[t]> = (<d/dt|Phi[t]>)|Si[t]>

Similarly, d/dPhi[t] = <Phi[t]|H|d/dt|Si[t]> = <d/dt|Si[t]>*<Phi[t]|H|d/dt|Si[t]>

I hope this helps clarify the process for taking derivatives in Dirac notation. Keep in mind that this is just a general approach and may require some adjustments depending on the specific problem. It's always

Related to How Do You Compute Derivatives in Dirac Notation with Mathematica?

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in the study of quantum mechanics and quantum computing.

2. How is the derivative expressed in Dirac notation?

The derivative in Dirac notation is expressed as the operator d/dt, which represents the derivative with respect to time. It is commonly used to describe the time evolution of quantum systems.

3. What is the significance of the Hermitian conjugate in the derivative in Dirac notation?

The Hermitian conjugate, denoted by , is used in Dirac notation to represent the transpose and complex conjugate of a vector or operator. In the derivative, it ensures that the resulting state vector is normalized, as required in quantum mechanics.

4. How is the derivative calculated in Dirac notation?

The derivative in Dirac notation is calculated using the commutator relationship between the operator d/dt and the state vector. This relationship is given by [A,B] = AB-BA, where A and B are operators. This allows us to calculate the time derivative of a quantum state vector.

5. What are some common applications of the derivative in Dirac notation?

The derivative in Dirac notation is used in various applications of quantum mechanics, such as calculating the time evolution of quantum states, determining the expectation value of operators, and solving the Schrödinger equation. It is also used in quantum computing algorithms, such as the quantum phase estimation algorithm and the quantum Fourier transform.