Linear Algebra and Identity Operator Generalized to 3D

In summary, the conversation discusses the transition from 1D to 3D quantum mechanics and the use of identity and projection operators in representing states and calculating probabilities. The appropriate dirac notation and operators in 3D are also mentioned. The book "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Sakurai is recommended as a helpful resource for understanding this notation.
Electric to be
I'm just getting into 3D quantum mechanics in my class, as in the hydrogen atom, particle in a box etc.

But we have already been thoroughly acquainted with 1D systems, spin-1/2, dirac notation, etc.

I am trying to understand some of the subtleties of moving to 3D. In particular, for any arbitrary state

|S(t)>, in one dimension we can use the identity operator to do: |S(t)> = ∫ dx |x><x|S(t)> or ∫ dp |p><p|S(t)> , which is basically just saying we can represent our state in terms of any of the different basis states. Perhaps momentum or position representation, or perhaps something else.

Furthermore, this kind of notation can be used to "derive" the probability for continuous and discrete operators in terms of the projection operator. For example, P = | ∫dx |x><x|S(t)> |2, integrated between x = a and x = b will give the probability for finding particle between a and b.

I know how to generalize the probabilities to 3 dimensions in terms of a normal integral over x,y and z, but I just want to see how the appropriate dirac notation linear algebra looks in three dimensions, as I am having trouble deducing the identity and projection operators in 3D.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Identity: ##\hat{1} = \int d^3 r | \mathbb{r}\rangle\langle \mathbb{r}| ##
Completeness: ##\delta^{(3)}\left(\mathbb{r}-\mathbb{r'}\right)=\langle \mathbb{r} | \mathbb{r'} \rangle##

For a generic state ##|S \rangle=\int d^3 r |\mathbb{r}\rangle\langle \mathbb{r}| S\rangle##

From my memory Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics was quite good for this notation.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations through matrices and vector spaces. It is a powerful tool for solving systems of equations and understanding the relationships between different variables.

2. How is Linear Algebra applied in 3D?

In 3D, Linear Algebra is used to represent and manipulate geometric objects such as points, lines, planes, and shapes. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to create and manipulate 3D images and objects.

3. What is an Identity Operator?

An Identity Operator is a mathematical function that maps a vector onto itself, leaving the vector unchanged. In other words, it is a transformation that does not alter the vector's direction or length. In 3D, the Identity Operator is represented by a 3x3 matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s elsewhere.

4. How is the Identity Operator used in Linear Algebra?

In Linear Algebra, the Identity Operator is used as a reference point for other transformations. It allows us to represent any linear transformation as a combination of scaling, rotating, and shearing operations, with the Identity Operator as the starting point. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues.

5. What is the importance of the Identity Operator in 3D applications?

The Identity Operator is essential in 3D applications because it allows us to manipulate and transform objects in a predictable and consistent manner. It also serves as a foundation for more complex operations and transformations, making it a fundamental concept in 3D graphics and computer vision.