Derivative of a composite function?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of the function cos(x)^(cos(cos(x))) using the chain rule and logarithms. The person asking for help is unsure of where to start, but the other person provides guidance on using implicit differentiation and properties of exponents. The conversation concludes with the person understanding the solution.
potmobius

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the function: cos(x)^(cos(cos(x)))

Homework Equations

The chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how the chain rule works, and I've done many problems with composite functions. However, I just don't know where to start with this one. I'm lost and confused :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct me if I am wrong. It seems that you are trying to find

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\;(\cos x)^{\cos(\cos x)}[/tex]

Any time you need to differentiate an expression that involves a variable base and exponent (as we have here) you need to use logarithms and implicit differentiation.

i.e.

[tex]y=f(x)^{g(x)}[/tex]

[tex]\ln y = \ln \left (f(x)^{g(x)} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\ln y = g(x) \cdot \ln (f(x))[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \ln y = \frac{d}{dx} \left[ g(x) \cdot \ln (f(x)) \right] [/tex]

[tex]\frac{y'}{y} = \frac{g(x) \cdot f'(x)}{f(x)} + g'(x) \cdot \ln (f(x)) [/tex]

[tex] y' = y \cdot \left[ \frac{g(x) \cdot f'(x)}{f(x)} + g'(x) \cdot \ln (f(x)) \right] [/tex]

[tex] y' = \left( f(x)^{g(x)} \right) \cdot \left[ \frac{g(x) \cdot f'(x)}{f(x)} + g'(x) \cdot \ln (f(x)) \right] [/tex]

Hopefully this will get you going in the right direction.

--Elucidus

I'm glad to hear you know how the chain rule works. Now prove it. cos(x) is exp(log(cos(x)). Does that help? Now use properties of exponents and the chain rule. You'll need some product rule as well.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, and this clears it up! Thanks :)

Related to Derivative of a composite function?

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is made up of two or more functions. The output of one function becomes the input of another function.

2. What is the derivative of a composite function?

The derivative of a composite function is the rate of change of the output of the composite function with respect to the input. It is calculated by using the chain rule, which involves taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. How do you find the derivative of a composite function?

To find the derivative of a composite function, you first need to use the chain rule to take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Then, you can simplify the resulting expression to get the final answer.

4. Why is the chain rule used to find the derivative of a composite function?

The chain rule is used because it allows us to find the derivative of a composite function by breaking it down into simpler functions. This makes the process of finding the derivative more manageable and easier to understand.

5. Can the chain rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, as long as the functions involved are differentiable. This means that the functions must have a defined derivative at every point in their domains.