Definite Integral of Product/Composite Function Given Graph

In summary, the problem with integration by parts is that it is difficult to find the integral of the composite function, and the equation of the semi-circle doesn't work.
JessTheMess

Homework Statement

Given the graph of f(x) shown below, find the value of the integral.
Photo attached.

Homework Equations

[/B]
23 5x·f(x2)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried integration by parts to simplify the problem, but finding the integral of the composite function (f(x2)) doesn't make much sense to me without knowing the actual function that represents f(x).

I also tried using the equation of the semi-circle to find it, but the integration got too complicated.

Does anyone have a hint on how to start the problem and/or deal with the composite function in the integral? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 12.37.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 12.37.19 PM.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
I would do the change of variables
$$t=x^2$$.

When I do u-substitution, I also run into a problem.

t=x^2
dt = 2xdx
dx = dt/2x

∫5xf(t)dt/2x

5/2 ∫f(t)dt

How do I take the integral of f(t) when I don’t know what function f(t) is?

JessTheMess said:
How do I take the integral of f(t) when I don’t know what function f(t) is?

I think you are supposed to work out what function ##f## is from the graph.

JessTheMess said:

Homework Statement

Given the graph of f(x) shown below, find the value of the integral.
Photo attached.

Homework Equations

[/B]
23 5x·f(x2)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried integration by parts to simplify the problem, but finding the integral of the composite function (f(x2)) doesn't make much sense to me without knowing the actual function that represents f(x).

I also tried using the equation of the semi-circle to find it, but the integration got too complicated.

Does anyone have a hint on how to start the problem and/or deal with the composite function in the integral? Thank you!

If one takes the most "obvious" form of the function ##f(x)##, the integral ##\int_3^2 5x f(x) \, dx## is negative; I hope you see why. However, if your integral, instead, really is ##\int_3^2 5x f(x^2) \, dx## (exactly as written) the integral is a pure imaginary number with a negative imaginary part.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a definite integral of a product/composite function?

The definite integral of a product/composite function is a mathematical concept that represents the signed area between the graph of the function and the x-axis within a specific interval. It is denoted by ∫f(x)g(x)dx.

2. How do you find the definite integral of a product/composite function given a graph?

To find the definite integral of a product/composite function given a graph, you need to first identify the intervals on the x-axis where the function crosses the x-axis. Then, you can use the formula ∫f(x)g(x)dx = ∫f(x)dx * ∫g(x)dx to calculate the definite integral for each interval. Finally, you can add all the values of the definite integrals for each interval to get the total definite integral.

3. What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

The main difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral is that a definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

4. Can the definite integral of a product/composite function be negative?

Yes, the definite integral of a product/composite function can be negative. This happens when the area below the x-axis is larger than the area above the x-axis within the given interval. In this case, the definite integral represents a negative value.

5. What are some real-life applications of the definite integral of a product/composite function?

The definite integral of a product/composite function has many applications in real life, including calculating the total distance traveled by an object with varying speed, finding the total work done by a variable force, and calculating the total profit or loss in business with changing costs and revenues.