Derivative of Dot Product via Product Rule, commutative?

In summary: It is because the derivative of a function is the limit of the function as the change in the independent variable approaches 0. And since multiplication is commutative, switching the order of the terms does not affect the limit. Therefore, x(t)x'(t) and x'(t)x(t) have the same limit and are equal. Similarly for y(t)y'(t) and y'(t)y(t).
Ocata

Homework Statement

Basically, I'm looking at the property that says if the magnitude of a vector valued function is constant, then the vector function dotted with it's derivative will be zero. But I'm stuck towards the end because the proof I found online seems to skip a step that I'm not certain about.

r(t) = <x(t),y(t) >

r(t) ⋅ r(t) = <x(t),y(t) > ⋅ <x(t),y(t) >
= [itex] x(t)^{2} + y(t)^{2} = \sqrt{x(t)^{2} + y(t)^{2}}^{2}[/itex]
= [itex] ll<x(t),y(t)>ll^{2} = ll r(t)ll^{2} [/itex] = constant (suppose)

that is,
r(t) ⋅ r(t) = constant

Then, the derivative of r(t) ⋅ r(t):

[itex] \frac{d}{dt}r(t) ⋅ r(t) = \frac{d}{dt} c [/itex]

r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = 0

After this is where I'm stuck.

The proofs I've seen online then say:

2r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = 0

r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = 0

But, algebraically, can this only be true if:

r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r'(t) ⋅ r(t) ?

I know that the dot product is commutative such that:

v ⋅ u = u ⋅ v

But, does the commutative property for the dot product extend to the product rule for dot product of vector valued functions?

Homework Equations

v ⋅ u = u ⋅ v

The Attempt at a Solution

since r'(t) = < x'(t),y'(t)>

then if commutative property is true, then:

r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r'(t) ⋅ r(t)

The only way I can believe this to be true is if I prove it some how.

I will try to break it down to components and rearrange the terms in green so that that they resemble the portion in blue. Not sure if it will work, but I'll give it a try..

<x'(t),y'(t) > ⋅ <x(t),y(t) > + <x(t),y(t) > ⋅ <x'(t),y'(t)> = <x'(t),y'(t) > ⋅ <x(t),y(t) > + <x'(t),y'(t) > ⋅ <x(t),y(t) >

(x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t)) + (x(t)x'(t) + y(t)y'(t)) = (x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t)) + (x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t))

Now, I suppose it is reasonable that: x(t)x'(t) = x'(t)x(t)

and so, x(t)x'(t) + y(t)y'(t) = x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t)

Then,

(x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t)) + (x(t)x'(t) + y(t)y'(t)) = (x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t)) + (x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t))

can be written as:

(x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t)) + (x(t)x'(t) + y(t)y'(t)) = (x'(t)x(t) + y'(t)y(t)) + (x(t)x'(t) + y(t)y'(t))

And thus:

<x'(t),y'(t) > ⋅ <x(t),y(t) > + <x(t),y(t) > ⋅ <x'(t),y'(t)> = <x'(t),y'(t) > ⋅ <x(t),y(t) > + <x(t),y(t) > ⋅ <x'(t),y'(t)>

r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r(t) ⋅ r'(t)In Conclusion, since dot product is commutative by itself, it is also true that it is commutative when the dot product exists within larger statement such as a product rule, that is:

And therefore,

It can be written that

r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r'(t) ⋅ r(t) = 2(r'(t) ⋅ r(t))Is this correct reasoning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have two vectors r' and r and you know the dot product is commutative hence you have ##2r'.r = 0## which means that either r or r' are zero vectors or the angle between them is ##\pi/2## and hence they are perpendicular.

Likes Ocata
Ocata said:

Homework Statement

Basically, I'm looking at the property that says if the magnitude of a vector valued function is constant, then the vector function dotted with it's derivative will be zero. But I'm stuck towards the end because the proof I found online seems to skip a step that I'm not certain about.

r(t) = <x(t),y(t) >

r(t) ⋅ r(t) = <x(t),y(t) > ⋅ <x(t),y(t) >
= [itex] x(t)^{2} + y(t)^{2} = \sqrt{x(t)^{2} + y(t)^{2}}^{2}[/itex]
= [itex] ll<x(t),y(t)>ll^{2} = ll r(t)ll^{2} [/itex] = constant (suppose)

that is,
r(t) ⋅ r(t) = constant

Then, the derivative of r(t) ⋅ r(t):

[itex] \frac{d}{dt}r(t) ⋅ r(t) = \frac{d}{dt} c [/itex]

r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = 0

After this is where I'm stuck.

The proofs I've seen online then say:

2r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = 0

r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = 0

But, algebraically, can this only be true if:

r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r(t) ⋅ r'(t) = r'(t) ⋅ r(t) + r'(t) ⋅ r(t) ?

v ⋅ u = u ⋅ v

But, does the commutative property for the dot product extend to the product rule for dot product of vector valued functions?

Homework Equations

v ⋅ u = u ⋅ v

The Attempt at a Solution

since r'(t) = < x'(t),y'(t)>

then if commutative property is true, then:

The only way I can believe this to be true is if I prove it some how.

You say that you believe ##\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v} = \vec{v} \cdot \vec{u}##---which is true. What is preventing you from putting ##\vec{u} = \vec{r}(t)## and ##\vec{v} = \vec{r}'(t)\:##?

Likes Ocata
Ocata said:

v ⋅ u = u ⋅ v

How do you know that ##\vec{v}\cdot\vec{u} = \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}##? If you understand how to prove that, the answer to your question should be clear.

Now, I suppose it is reasonable that: x(t)x'(t) = x'(t)x(t)
You don't need to suppose anything. You should be know the reason why this is true.

Likes Ocata
Jedishrfu, Ray Vickson, and Vela,

Thank you.

1. What is the Product Rule for finding the derivative of a dot product?

The Product Rule states that the derivative of a dot product of two functions, f and g, is equal to the first function (f) times the derivative of the second function (g') plus the second function (g) times the derivative of the first function (f').

2. How does commutativity affect the derivative of a dot product?

Commutativity means that the order of the terms in a mathematical expression can be changed without affecting the result. In the case of the derivative of a dot product, commutativity allows us to rearrange the terms in the Product Rule without changing the final result.

3. Can the Product Rule be used to find the derivative of any dot product?

Yes, the Product Rule can be used to find the derivative of any dot product, as long as both functions involved are differentiable.

4. Are there any other rules or methods for finding the derivative of a dot product?

There are other methods for finding the derivative of a dot product, such as the Chain Rule or the Quotient Rule. However, the Product Rule is the most commonly used method and can be applied to most dot products.

5. How is the derivative of a dot product used in real-world applications?

The derivative of a dot product is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer graphics. It allows us to calculate rates of change and optimize functions in these applications.