Is z^c Analytic When a Branch is Chosen for Complex Numbers z and c?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, complex numbers ##c## and ##z## are used to represent multi-valued functions ##z^c##. To ensure that ##z^c## is analytic, it must first be a single-valued function. To achieve this, the author suggests removing a branch of the domain of the multi-valued function, which can be done by restricting the domain of ##\arg z## to a unique range. The derivative of ##z^c## can be found using the chain rule and the knowledge that ##e^{\log z} = z##, and the derivative of ##\log z## can be found by removing a branch of the function. However, the process of removing a branch is still unclear and requires
Bashyboy
b1. Homework Statement
Let ##c## and ##z## denote complex numbers. Then

1. When a branch is chosen for ##z^c##, then ##z^c## is analytic in the domain determined by that branch.

2. ##\frac{d}{dz} z^c = c z^{c-1}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In regards to number one, we have that ##z^c## is defined as ##z^c = e^{c \log z}## which can be written as ##z^c = e^{c(\ln |z| + i \arg z}##. For ##z^c## to be analytic, it must first be a function. In the textbook I am using, the author discussing how we can remove a branch of the domain of a multi-valued function##f(z)## so that it can be become a function.

For a given complex number, ##\ln|z|## will return a single value; however, ##\arg z## will return multiple values, whereby we get different values of ##z^c##. Thus, the problem of ##z^c## being multivalued lies with the fact that ##\arg z## is multivalued. So, if I were to restrict the domain so that ##\arg z## was unique, then ##z^c## would be single-valued.

I know that if I replaced ##\arg z## with ##Arg ~z##, then ##z^c## would be multivalued. So, if I restricted the domain by removing all of the complex numbers along the negative real axis, including zero, then what would happen to ##\arg z##?

How could I formulate a general restriction? I was thinking that if we remove the ray which makes an angle of ##\theta## with the positive real axis, all remove all those points, then the range of ##\arg z## would become ##(\theta - \pi, \pi + \theta)##. But I am unsure of how to justify this.

Number two is giving me some difficulty. At my disposal, I have ##\frac{d}{dz} e^z = e^z## and the chain rule.

If I take the derivative of ##z^c = e^{c(\ln |z| + i \arg z}##, I would have to take the derivative of ##e^z##, which I already know, and ##c(\ln |z| + i \arg z)##, which I do not know. I would venture to guess that ## \frac{d}{dz} \ln |z| = \frac{1}{|z|}##, but this has not been established. What would the derivative of ##\arg z## be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I was able to figure out how to differentiate the function ##z^c## (of course, to be able to differentiate this function, we first have to remove a branch of the function, of which I am still uncertain of how to do). I found in my textbook that ##e^{\log z} = z##. Using the chain rule, I could compute the derivative and find out what the derivative of ##\log z## is, when you remove a branch from the function:

##
\frac{d}{dz} [e^{\log z}] = \frac{d}{dz} z \iff
##

##
\frac{d}{dz}[\log z] e^{\log z} = 1 \iff
##

Because ##e^{\log z}## is never zero, we can divide by this quantity to get

##
\frac{d}{dz} [\log z ] = \frac{1}{e^{\log z}} \iff
##

##
\frac{d}{dz} [\log z ] = \frac{1}{z}
##

Now we have the requisite knowledge to differentiate ##z^c##:

##
\frac{d}{dz} z^c = \frac{d}{dz} [e^{c \log z}] \iff
##

##
\frac{d}{dz} z^c = \frac{d}{dz} [e^{\log z^c}] \iff
##

##
\frac{d}{dz} z^c = \frac{d}{dz} [\log z^c] e^{\log z^c} \iff
##

##
\frac{d}{dz} z^c = c \frac{1}{z} e^{c \log z} \iff
##

##
\frac{d}{dz} z^c = c \frac{1}{z} z^c \iff
##

##
\frac{d}{dz} z^c = c z^{c-1}
##

So, this much I figured out. However, I am still having difficulty with this concept of removing a branch. In general, how do you remove an arbitrary branch from the function ##z^c##, so that it becomes a single-valued function, rather than a multi-valued one?

Last edited:

1. What is the general formula for the derivative of z to the power of c?

The general formula for the derivative of z to the power of c is c * z^(c-1). This means that when taking the derivative of z^c, you bring down the exponent c and subtract 1 from it, then multiply it by the original expression.

2. How is the derivative of z^c related to the derivative of z?

The derivative of z^c is related to the derivative of z because it follows the same general rule for raising z to any power. The only difference is that the exponent c remains constant while taking the derivative.

3. Can the derivative of z^c be negative?

Yes, the derivative of z^c can be negative. This will depend on the value of c. If c is a negative number, then the derivative will be negative. However, if c is a positive number, the derivative will be positive.

4. How can the power rule be used to find the derivative of z^c?

The power rule states that the derivative of x^n is n * x^(n-1). This rule can be applied to the derivative of z^c by treating z as the variable and c as a constant. This will give us the formula c * z^(c-1) for the derivative of z^c.

5. Can the derivative of z^c be simplified further?

Yes, the derivative of z^c can be simplified further by using logarithmic differentiation. This technique involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the original expression, then using logarithm rules to simplify before taking the derivative. This can be useful when c is a complex number or a fraction.