Derive an upper bound for |f(i)|

In summary: Sorry, I couldn't read the last line. Can you please type it out again?Thanks|f^{(4)}(i/2)| \leq \left|\frac{4!}{2\pi i}\right| 2\pi \sup_{\theta \in [0,2\pi]} \left|\frac{f(i/2 + \frac{1}{9}e^{i\theta}}{\left(i/2 + \frac{1}{9}e^{i\theta}\right)^5}\right|
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
complex analysis
Relevant Equations
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 1.53.31 PM.png

##\mathbb{D}## is open. Let ##\mathbb{A}:=\{z:|z-i/2|=\frac{1}{9}\}##. ##\mathbb{A}## is closed and contained in ##\mathbb{D}##. ##f## is analytic in ##\mathbb{D}##, so ##f## is analytic on the interior to and on ##\mathbb{A}##.

By the Cauchy integral formula, ##f^{(4)}## exists at every point on the interoir of ##\mathbb{A}##. ##z=\frac{i}{2}## is in ##\mathbb{A}##, so ##f^{(4)}## exists at ##z=\frac{i}{2}##.

$$f^{(4)}=\frac{4!}{2\pi i}\int_\mathbb{A}\frac{f(z)}{(z-\frac{i}{2})^5}dz$$

There is no way to get an upper bound of ##f^{(4)}## using to Cauchy integral formula. If ##f(i/2)\neq 0## the integrand goes to ##\infty## as ##z\rightarrow i/2## but We aren't told that ##f(i/2)\neq 0##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The start here is very sloppy. ##\mathbb{A}## is closed, not open, and if you defined it to be the interior disk instead of the circle, ##i/2## would still not be contained in it.

If you defined ##\mathbb{A}## better, then in your integral you would not have to worry about ##z## getting arbitrarily close to ##i/2##, because ##i/2## doesn't lie on the curve so there's some minimum distance between it and any point on your curve. One thing to note here is if you defined ##\mathbb{A}## to be the disk, then your integral would not be over all of ##\mathbb{A}##. So it feels like your confusion between the disk and its boundary is not just typos at the start, but also the thing that killed you conceptually at the end.

• Informative
Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
The start here is very sloppy. ##\mathbb{A}## is closed, not open, and if you defined it to be the interior disk instead of the circle, ##i/2## would still not be contained in it.

If you defined ##\mathbb{A}## better, then in your integral you would not have to worry about ##z## getting arbitrarily close to ##i/2##, because ##i/2## doesn't lie on the curve so there's some minimum distance between it and any point on your curve.
oops! sorry. I got mixed up with a different problem.. ##\mathbb{A}## should be centered at ##i/2##. and it is closed simple curve and not open. I'll edit my post... thank you.

docnet said:
oops! sorry. I got mixed up with a different problem.. ##\mathbb{A}## should be centered at ##i/2##. and it is closed simple curve and not open. I'll edit my post... thank you.

Sorry after I posted I went back and edited the end of my post a bit, to clarify how to fix your mistake. It looks like you quoted me before that hit.

• Informative
Likes docnet
Parametrize ##\mathbb{A}## by ##h(t)=i/2+re^{it}##, for any value of ##r## such that ##\mathbb{A}## is contained in the unit disc. ##0\leq t\leq2\pi##
$$f^{(4)}=\frac{4!}{2\pi i}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{f(i/2+re^{it})}{r^5e^{5it}}ire^{it}dt$$
$$f^{(4)}=\frac{4!}{r^4 2\pi i}\int_0^{2\pi}f(i/2+re^{it})ie^{-4it}dt$$
##|f|\leq 2## for all z in ##\mathbb{D}##, so the above formula gives that ##f^{(4)}\leq \frac{2\cdot 4!}{r^4 2\pi i}=\frac{4!}{r^4 \pi i}##. Taking ##r## to be as large as possible so ##\mathbb{A}## is still contained in ##\mathbb{D}##, ##r=\frac{1}{2}##. so ##f^{(4)}\leq \frac{2^4\cdot 4!}{\pi i}##.

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
Sorry after I posted I went back and edited the end of my post a bit, to clarify how to fix your mistake. It looks like you quoted me before that hit.
I thought the right way was to use the Cauchy residue theorem, which would require the numerator ##f## of the integrand to be nonzero at ##z=i/2## so ##z=i/2## is a pole of ##f##. I realized it is impossible to use that theorem to get an upper bound because not enough information about ##f## is given.. (so computing the residues would be impossible anyways).

I think you can get an upper bound. In magnitude, What is the largest the numerator of that integral can be? What is the smallest the denominator can be?

Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
I think you can get an upper bound. In magnitude, What is the largest the numerator of that integral can be? What is the smallest the denominator can be?
the numerator can be 2 or smaller. r can be arbitrarily small, so the denominator can be arbitrarily small, so the integral can be arbitrarily large. does this mean the upper bound is arbitrarily large?

No. This gets back to my last post. Cauchy's integral formula is an integral around the boundary of a region, not over a whole region. You are supposed to integrate over a circle, not a disk.

Likes docnet and Infrared
docnet said:
Parametrize ##\mathbb{A}## by ##h(t)=i/2+re^{it}##, for any value of ##r## such that ##\mathbb{A}## is contained in the unit disc. ##0\leq t\leq2\pi##
$$f^{(4)}=\frac{4!}{2\pi i}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{f(i/2+re^{it})}{r^5e^{5it}}ire^{it}dt$$
$$f^{(4)}=\frac{4!}{r^4 2\pi i}\int_0^{2\pi}f(i/2+re^{it})ie^{-4it}dt$$
##|f|\leq 2## for all z in ##\mathbb{D}##, so the above formula gives that ##f^{(4)}\leq \frac{2\cdot 4!}{r^4 2\pi i}=\frac{4!}{r^4 \pi i}##. Taking ##r## to be as large as possible so ##\mathbb{A}## is still contained in ##\mathbb{D}##, ##r=\frac{1}{2}##. so ##f^{(4)}\leq \frac{2^4\cdot 4!}{\pi i}##.

I think the result you are looking for is [tex]
\left| k\int_a^b f(t)\,dt \right| \leq |k|(b-a) \sup_{t \in [a,b]} |f(t)|[/tex] which here gives [tex]
|f^{(4)}(i/2)| \leq \left|\frac{4!}{2\pi i}\right| 2\pi \sup_{\theta \in [0,2\pi)}
\left|\frac{f(i/2 + re^{i\theta})ire^{i\theta}}{r^5e^{5i\theta}}\right|.[/tex]

Likes docnet
##f## is analytic in ##\mathbb{D}##, so ##f## is analytic in the interior and on ##\mathbb{A}:=\{z:|i/2-z|=r, r<1/2\}##. By Cauchy derivative theorem,

$$|f^{(4)}|=\Big|\frac{4!}{2\pi i r^4}\int_0^{2\pi}f(i/2+r3^{it})ie^{-4it}dt\Big|, r<1/2$$
and since ##|f|\leq 2## in the interior and on ##\mathbb{A}##,
$$\leq\frac{4!}{\pi r^4} \Big| \int_0^{2\pi}ie^{-4it}dt\Big|,r<1/2$$
##ie^{-4it}## is entire and the integration contour is closed and simple, so by Cauchy integral theorem,
$$=\frac{4!}{\pi r^4} \cdot 0 = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow |f^{(4)}(i/2)|\leq 0$$

You need to start by moving the absolute value inside the integral, if ##f##'s argument is in sync vs out of sync with ##e^{it}##, the first thing you wrote down could be larger (and in fact, often will be since the thing on the right is zero).

Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
You need to start by moving the absolute value inside the integral, if ##f##'s argument is in sync vs out of sync with ##e^{it}##, the first thing you wrote down could be larger (and in fact, often will be since the thing on the right is zero).
$$|f^{(4)}|=\Big|\frac{4!}{2\pi i r^4}\int_0^{2\pi}f(i/2+r3^{it})ie^{-4it}dt\Big|, r<1/2$$
$$\leq \frac{4!}{2\pi r^4}\int_0^{2\pi}\Big|f(i/2+r3^{it})ie^{-4it}\Big|dt, r<1/2$$
and since ##|f|\leq 2## in the interior and on ##\mathbb{A}##,
$$\leq \frac{4!}{\pi r^4}\int_0^{2\pi}\Big|ie^{-4it}\Big|dt, r<1/2$$
$$=\frac{4!}{\pi r^4} \cdot 2\pi = \frac{12}{r^4},r<1/2$$
$$lim_{r\rightarrow 0} \frac{12}{r^4}=\infty \Rightarrow |f^{(4)}(i/2)|\quad f\text{is unbounded}$$

Ok, we really need to address why you are taking the limit as r goes to 0? You aren't required to do this, you can just pick an r that works

Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
Ok, we really need to address why you are taking the limit as r goes to 0? You aren't required to do this, you can just pick an r that works
I'm not sure ... I'm just confused.

Do we want to get an upper bound that is as low as possible? We could make ##r## very close to (but less than) ##1/2## so the upper bound is around ##12(2^4)##
$$f^{(4)}(i/2) \approx 12(2^4)$$

when the question says "derive an upper bound" do they really mean ANY upper bound will do?

Yes, any upper bound in theory suffices for the question, but the lower the upper bound you can construct, the better your answer is and probably the more educational the solution is for you.

• Love
Likes docnet

1. What does it mean to derive an upper bound for |f(i)|?

Deriving an upper bound for |f(i)| means finding the maximum possible value that |f(i)| can reach. It is a way to determine the highest possible limit of a function.

2. Why is it important to derive an upper bound for |f(i)|?

Deriving an upper bound for |f(i)| is important because it helps us understand the behavior and limitations of a function. It can also be used to prove the convergence or divergence of a sequence or series.

3. What is the process for deriving an upper bound for |f(i)|?

The process for deriving an upper bound for |f(i)| involves analyzing the function and determining its maximum possible value. This can be done through various mathematical techniques such as differentiation, integration, or using inequalities.

4. Can an upper bound for |f(i)| be proven to be the exact limit?

No, an upper bound for |f(i)| is not necessarily the exact limit of the function. It is only a maximum limit that the function can reach. The exact limit can only be determined through other methods such as taking the limit as i approaches infinity.

5. How can deriving an upper bound for |f(i)| be applied in real-world situations?

Deriving an upper bound for |f(i)| can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. It can help in predicting the maximum possible outcome or limit of a system or process, and can also aid in decision-making and optimization.