Derive Dulong-Petit Law: Classical Kinetic Theory & Equipartition of Energy

• Thread starter Kiezel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the goal is to derive the classical Dulong Petit law using kinetic theory of gases and the equipartition of energy. The heat capacity at a constant V for simple crystalline solid is being explored without using quantum theory. The formula for Cv = Cp - R is derived, but only applies to ideal gases. Using the equipartition theorem, an expression for thermal energy in terms of T is found. By defining heat capacity as the amount of heat needed to raise T by one degree Kelvin for a standard amount of matter (a mole), the molar heat capacity is calculated as 3R. The equation pV = nRT is used to derive R in terms of Boltzmann's constant and Avogadro's constant
Kiezel

Homework Statement

hello everyone.
I have to derive the classical Dulong Petit law by using kinetic theory of gases and the equipartition of energy. The heat capacity at a constant V for simple crystalline solid. So, it should be explained without the quantum theory.

Homework Equations

Cv (heat capacity at constant v) = 3R = 3Nak (avogadro Na and k of boltmann's constant)
this is what I want to derive.

The Attempt at a Solution

the formula Cv = Cp - R is what I have derived from simple formula's like dU = dQ + dW.
If Cp = 4R then Cv = 3R, but why should this be the case?
I know it has something to do with the degrees of freedom. I think the solid at high temperature has 3 translational degrees of freedom and 3 vibrational degrees of freedom which would mean it has 6 degrees of freedom. How should I use this?

according to the equipartition theorem the energy of the degree of freedom is kT/2 thus with 6 degrees of freedom: E=Na6(kt/2)=3RT (because R=Nak)
so now I have an energy which is equal to 3RT

didn't the classical physics (around 1819) predict that the heat capacity was independent from the temperature (by only allowing the body to absorb very small amounts of heat)?

clearly I'm missing some vital next steps. can anybody help me?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Kiezel said:
the formula Cv = Cp - R is what I have derived from simple formula's like dU = dQ + dW.
If Cp = 4R then Cv = 3R, but why should this be the case?
Careful! ##C_v=C_p-nR## is only true for an ideal gas.

Kiezel said:
according to the equipartition theorem the energy of the degree of freedom is kT/2 thus with 6 degrees of freedom: E=Na6(kt/2)=3RT (because R=Nak)
so now I have an energy which is equal to 3RT

Good. So you have an expression for the thermal energy in terms of ##T##. Remember what heat capacity is: it is a measure of the rate at which the energy of something changes when you change its temperature. Do you think you could apply this definition to your expression for energy to get the heat capacity?

Thanks for your reply!

I have defined the heat capacity as:

Heat capacity C is defined as the amount of heat that is necessary to raise T of a standard amount of matter with one degree Kelvin (J/K).

So if my “standard amount of matter” is a mole (because I have used Na in my energy calculation) I can calculate the molar heat capacity. I need to find the difference in energy between T = x and T = x + 1. So if I pick T = 1 then E = 3R and if I pick T = 2 then E = 6R. The difference in energy is 6R – 3R = 3R which would be my molar heat capacity. and thus Cv = 3R

And the Cv = Cp - R part should be omitted because it is not applicable for crystalline solids.

then:
pV = nRT
R = (pV)/(nT) with R in m3 Pa mol-1 k-1 = J mol-1 k-1
this equals Boltzmann constant kb (J K-1) times Avogadro constant Na (mol-1)
and thus R = Nakb (I'm not sure if I have derived it here or not)
and 3R=3Nakb

hopefully this is right
Bad_poker_face.gif

1. What is the Dulong-Petit Law?

The Dulong-Petit Law is a principle in thermodynamics that states the molar heat capacity of a solid element is approximately equal to 3R, where R is the gas constant. This law was first proposed by French physicists Pierre Louis Dulong and Alexis Thérèse Petit in the early 19th century.

2. How is the Dulong-Petit Law derived?

The Dulong-Petit Law is derived from classical kinetic theory, which states that the average kinetic energy of a particle is directly proportional to the temperature. By assuming that all atoms in a solid have the same kinetic energy and using the equipartition of energy principle, which states that each degree of freedom in a molecule contributes 1/2kT to the total energy, the Dulong-Petit Law can be derived.

3. What is the classical kinetic theory?

The classical kinetic theory is a model that explains the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids at the molecular level. It assumes that particles are in constant motion and that their kinetic energy is related to the temperature of the system. This theory is based on the principles of Newtonian mechanics and statistical mechanics.

4. What is the equipartition of energy principle?

The equipartition of energy principle states that in thermal equilibrium, the total energy of a system is equally distributed among all the available degrees of freedom. This means that each degree of freedom contributes 1/2kT to the total energy, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

5. What are the assumptions of the Dulong-Petit Law?

The Dulong-Petit Law is based on two main assumptions: the classical kinetic theory and the equipartition of energy principle. It also assumes that all atoms in a solid have the same kinetic energy and that there are no quantum effects at play. These assumptions may not hold true for all systems, but the Dulong-Petit Law is still a useful approximation for many materials.