Deriving an Equation from a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps for deriving an equation from a graph, specifically for finding the relationship between centripetal force and frequency. The steps include plotting a graph of centripetal force vs. frequency, using graphical analysis to rearrange values and obtain a linear plot, writing a proportionality statement, and finally writing the equation with a constant and units. The conversation also mentions a power graph and the use of whole numbers for exponents. The end result is an equation of Fc = kf^2, where k represents the slope of the linear line. The use of excel for plotting the line of best fit is mentioned, but the teacher requires a hand-drawn graph.
Murdoc88

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,

I'm in need of some assistance in regards to deriving an equation from a graph. I have been tasked to graph information which I've collected through experimentation and then write an equation to represent the graph.

1 Plot a graph of centripetal force versus frequency ( frequency is the independent variable)

2 Using graphical analysis, rearrange the values of the frequency until a linear plot is obtained. Include a table of values.

3 Write a proportionality statement (in words) relating the centripetal force and frequency

4 write the equation relating centripetal force and frequency, inclued the value of the constant and units.

5 using the eq^, determine the force (including units and direction) required to maintain a stoppers (item swung) of the same mass in a horizontal circle of radius 1.0 m with a frequency of 6 Hz. a complete solution is required

I'm stuck at steps 3 and 4 and I am not really sure on how to approach the questions. I know that I have a power graph and if I square the frequencies that I obtained I come to a linear graph.

Here is a direct link to the graphs that I've made:

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/murdoc8888888/?action=view&current=hmwrk2.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]Fc=(mv^2)/r[/itex]

[itex]f= 1 / T [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure on how to derive an equation from curved graph at all, the linear graph though is simple.

(Y2 - Y1) / (X2 - X1)

is the equation to find slope and from there I would use 'y' intercept form and derive that equation.

I don't know how to do this with a power graph though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you only need to derive an equation from linear graph (the one with the straight line), not the curved one. So looking at you graph, you have a (roughly :s) straight line when you plot Fc vs. f2 and therefore you can say that that Fc[itex]\propto[/itex]f2. Now, you should be able to write an expression with a constant of proportionality, and what is the general expression for a straight line...?

Well the general expression for a straight line is Ax + By + C = 0, or y = mx + b.I know it's a very rough linear graph but my teacher only wants the use of whole numbers such as 2 or 3 rather than decimals as exponents. So from here how would I write the proportionality statement of Fc[itex]\propto[/itex]f^2 using the equation of the linear graph?

Fc[itex]\propto[/itex]f^2 if I remember correctly, becomes an equation such as [itex]Fc = Kf^2[/itex] where K is a constant. Is this true?

P.S. I'm new to the latex system so please bare with me ...

Last edited:
Well, on your straight line graph, what is represented by "y" in y=mx+b?
What is represented by "x" in y=mx+b?

y is the same as f (x) where f is centripetal force, and x represents frequency. So could I then say that Fc(frequency) = mx + b ? or am I missing something here?

I was just wondering if my logic is correct.

Your very close but not quite there. What did you plot on your linear graph? Did you really plot Fc vs. f, or did you plot Fc vs. f2...?

Alright,

[itex]Fc v f^2[/itex] becomes an equation when you add a constant. I'll make it 'k', would 'k' then represent the slope of the linear line?

[itex]Fc = kf^2 [/itex] ?

Last edited:
Looks good to me :approve:. Depending on your data you may have to add in a constant (which would be the y-axis intercept + C), but this constant would be due to the standard error of your data. And yes k would represent the gradient of the line, if you have a proper line fitting program I would use that, but failing that excel does a reasonable job of plotting lines of bet fit.

P.S. What is your academic level?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean academic level. I'm currently a senior student in high school.

Then my guess would be the line of best fit drawn by excel would be sufficient for High School level, but it might be worth checking with your teacher. :smile:

I see I see,

Nope my teacher won't accept excel, it needs to be hand drawn.

Thanks for the help!

Murdoc88 said:
I see I see,

Nope my teacher won't accept excel, it needs to be hand drawn.

Thanks for the help!
Ahh, the fun of hand plotting graphs It was a pleasure :smile:

Related to Deriving an Equation from a graph

1. How do you determine the slope of a line from a graph?

To determine the slope of a line from a graph, you need to choose two points on the line and calculate the change in y-values divided by the change in x-values. This is also known as the rise over run formula, where the slope is equal to (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).

2. What is the equation for a straight line on a graph?

The equation for a straight line on a graph is known as the slope-intercept form, which is y = mx + b. M represents the slope of the line, while b represents the y-intercept, which is the point where the line crosses the y-axis.

3. Can you use the same method to find the slope of a curved line on a graph?

No, the same method cannot be used to find the slope of a curved line on a graph. The slope of a curved line varies at different points along the line, so it cannot be represented by a single value like a straight line. Instead, we can find the slope at a specific point using calculus.

4. How can you use the equation of a line to predict future values?

If you know the equation of a line, you can use it to predict future values by plugging in different values for x. This will give you the corresponding y-values, which can be used to make predictions about the relationship between the two variables represented on the graph.

5. What are the limitations of using a graph to derive an equation?

One limitation of using a graph to derive an equation is that it only shows the relationship between two variables. It does not take into account other factors that may affect the relationship. Additionally, the accuracy of the equation depends on the accuracy of the data points plotted on the graph.