Obtaining Acceleration from Position vs Time graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of collecting and analyzing data on a car's acceleration down a straight track. The speaker graphed the position vs time and found the tangent slope at 5 points, which were then plotted as velocity. They also linearized the position vs time graph and compared the slope of the velocity vs time graph from the tangent slopes and linearization, finding that the latter was about double. The equations and results are reasonably close to what they should be, as velocity is the derivative of position. The question of what the acceleration of the car would be is also raised, with the reminder that it is the derivative of velocity.
aleronLolli
I have collected data on a car accelerating down a straight track. I graphed it Position vs Time. Then I found the tangent slope at 5 points along the curve and plotted them as velocity. But then I linearized the position vs Time graph (position vs Time^2.) However, the slope of the velocity vs Time graph i got from taking the slope of the tangents was about double of what I got from linearization. This doesn't make sense to me...

Equations:
Position vs Time:
x = 9.396x^2-1.188x+6.014
Velocity vs Time: (from tangent slopes)
Position vs Time^2: (from linearization)

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of those results are reasonably close to what they should be. If position = 9.396*time^2-1.188*time+6.014, then velocity = 2*9.396*time-1.188. Remember that the position at a later time (when the velocity is high) has the accumulated effect of all the proceeding time (when velocity was low). So you should not expect the same multipliers. Velocity's multiplier of time should be twice as high as position's multiplier of time.

Velocity is the derivative of position.

So what would the acceleration of the car be? 9.188 or 18.7798?

Is this a homework problem? If so, there is a format for those questions and I will not help more except to say that acceleration is the derivative of velocity.

What is a position vs time graph?

A position vs time graph is a visual representation of an object's position as it changes over time. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents position.

How do you obtain acceleration from a position vs time graph?

To obtain acceleration from a position vs time graph, you can calculate the slope of the graph at any given point. The slope represents the object's velocity, and the change in velocity over time is equal to the object's acceleration.

What does a positive slope on a position vs time graph indicate?

A positive slope on a position vs time graph means that the object is moving in the positive direction, or in the direction of increasing position, with a constant or increasing speed. This indicates a positive acceleration.

What does a negative slope on a position vs time graph indicate?

A negative slope on a position vs time graph means that the object is moving in the negative direction, or in the direction of decreasing position, with a constant or decreasing speed. This indicates a negative acceleration.

Can you obtain the acceleration of an object from a position vs time graph if the object's motion is not constant?

Yes, you can obtain the average acceleration of an object from a position vs time graph even if the object's motion is not constant. This can be done by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time over a specific interval on the graph.