Deriving equation 9.91 in Carroll's Book "Spacetime and Geometry"

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the canonical form of the metric in General Relativity and the assumption of locally inertial coordinate systems. It also explains how to rewrite the metric into one defined on a locally inertial coordinate system and how to derive equation 9.91 in Carroll's book. Finally, it mentions the use of the determinant of the metric to simplify the calculation and the confusion surrounding the inclusion of the term √−g in equation 9.91.
silverwhale
Homework Statement
Derive the following formula in page 395 in Sean Carrolls Book "Spacetime and Geometry"
Relevant Equations
##\pi = \sqrt{-g} \nabla_0 \phi.##
Hello dear PhysicsForums attendees!

I tried to solve for somebody the aforementioned problem. But I am not sure if my attempt is correct. So I am writing down what I suggested.

Looking at eq 2.46 in Carrolls book; The metric is Lorentzian in General Relativity so that ##g^{\mu \nu} = diag(-1,+1, ...,+1)##. This is the canonical form of the metric, where the signatures are, as written, -1 for the time coordinate and +1, ...,+1 for the spatial coordinates and where the metric is diagonal.

Next, we say that at any point p element of the manifold M there exists a coordinate system where the metric is canonical and further the following equation holds (eq 2.47 in Carrolls book):
$$g_{\hat{\mu} \hat{\nu}}(p) = \eta_{\hat{\mu} \hat{\nu}}.$$
We say the coordinate system at p is locally intertial. This is very important because we are assuming that locally curved space looks like flat space. An assumption which, in General Relativity, must be fulfilled.

Following equation 3.66 in Carrolls book, we have:
##g_{\hat{\mu} \hat{\nu}} = g(\hat{e}_{(\hat{\mu})},\hat{e}_{(\hat{\nu})})##, and by using formulae 3.64, 3.65 and 3.66 we have an actual algorithm on how to rewrite the metric into one defined on a coordinate system that is locally inertial. It should be noted that the ##\hat{e}_{(\hat{\mu})}## are basis vectors of the tangent space ##T_p##.

Now, by taking equation 2.47, it is easy to derive eq 9.91 in Carrolls book:

$$\pi = \frac{\partial}{\partial(\nabla_0 \phi)} ( \sqrt{-g} \{-\frac{1}{2} g^{\mu\nu} \nabla_\mu \phi \nabla_\nu \phi - \cdots \})$$
$$ = \frac{\partial}{\partial(\nabla_0 \phi)} ( \sqrt{-g} \{-\frac{1}{2} g^{00} \nabla_0 \phi \nabla_0 \phi + g^{0i} \nabla_0 \phi \nabla_i \phi + g^{i0} \nabla_i \phi \nabla_0 \phi + g^{ij} \nabla_i \phi \nabla_j \phi - \cdots \})$$
by only looking at the first term, as the rest does not depend on ##\nabla_0 \phi##, we further derive:
$$ \frac{\partial}{\partial(\nabla_0 \phi)} (g^{00} \nabla_0 \phi \nabla_0 \phi) = 2 g^{00} \nabla_0 \phi.$$
Just use the Leibniz rule. Then put this into the starting equation to get:
$$\pi = \sqrt{-g} \nabla_0 \phi.$$

We are actually done. But by assuming that the metric is Minkowskian locally we can calculate easily its determinant, which should be -1. Such that the ##\sqrt{-g}## term is equal to 1. So finally we get:
$$\pi = \nabla_0 \phi.$$

Please note that ##g^{\mu\nu}## is defined here to be ##g^{\hat{\mu} \hat{\nu}}## which is just a shorthand for ##g^{\hat{\mu} \hat{\nu}}(p)##. So to make the computation clear.

As a notice, it is not clear why the author wrote the term ##\sqrt{-g}## explicitly in equation 9.91 ..

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
\begin{align*}\pi &= \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\nabla_0 \phi)} \\

&= -\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{-g} g^{\mu \nu} \cdot 2 \delta^0_{\nu} \partial_{\mu} \phi \\

&= -\sqrt{-g} g^{\mu 0} \nabla_{\mu} \phi \\

&= -\sqrt{-g} \nabla^{0} \phi \\

&= \sqrt{-g} \nabla_0 \phi

\end{align*}

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the significance of equation 9.91 in Carroll's book "Spacetime and Geometry"?

Equation 9.91 in Carroll's book is known as the Einstein field equation, which is a fundamental equation in general relativity that describes the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. It is a cornerstone of modern physics and has been extensively tested and verified through various experiments and observations.

2. How is equation 9.91 derived in Carroll's book "Spacetime and Geometry"?

Equation 9.91 is derived using the mathematical framework of tensor calculus, which allows for the description of the curvature of spacetime. It is based on the principle of general covariance, which states that the laws of physics should be the same in all reference frames. By applying this principle to the equations of motion, the Einstein field equation can be derived.

3. What are the main assumptions made in deriving equation 9.91 in Carroll's book "Spacetime and Geometry"?

The main assumptions made in deriving equation 9.91 include the principle of general covariance, the equivalence principle, and the assumption that the laws of physics are the same in all reference frames. Additionally, the equation assumes a homogeneous and isotropic universe, and that matter and energy are the only sources of curvature in spacetime.

4. Can equation 9.91 be applied to all situations and scenarios?

Equation 9.91 is a general equation that describes the relationship between matter and energy and the curvature of spacetime. It can be applied to a wide range of situations, from the behavior of planets and stars to the expansion of the universe. However, it may not be applicable in extreme scenarios such as near black holes or at the very beginning of the universe.

5. How does equation 9.91 relate to other equations in physics?

Equation 9.91 is a fundamental equation in general relativity, which is a theory that describes the behavior of gravity on a large scale. It is related to other equations in physics, such as Newton's law of gravitation and the equations of motion in classical mechanics. It is also connected to other theories, such as quantum mechanics, through the search for a unified theory of physics.