Deriving Fermi-Dirac Distribution misunderstanding

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the derivation of Bose-Einstein and the use of the F-D example. The method being followed involves using a Taylor series and expanding Zs(N-ΔN) to relate it to Zs(N). The terms after the second term are truncated and the function used is e^{a+b}. The variables x and a are also defined, and it is mentioned that Zs can be written as e^{ln(Zs)} and that e^{a+b} can be written as e^a e^b.
d2699

Homework Statement

The actual question was deriving Bose-Einstein, but I got confused on the F-D example. I'm basically following the method given here.

Homework Equations

[All taken directly from the above link]
img1389.png

img1393.png

img1396.png

Taylor series:
NumberedEquation1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

So after that third equation is where I can't figure it out. To relate Zs(N-1) to Zs(N), we Taylor expand Zs(N-ΔN) to get:

img1401.png

where
img1402.png

Looking specifically at that middle step, I figured the terms after the second term were truncated. I don't understand what is being used as the function, what are x and a, etc. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• img1389.png
    img1389.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 386
  • img1393.png
    img1393.png
    1,005 bytes · Views: 401
  • img1396.png
    img1396.png
    940 bytes · Views: 411
  • NumberedEquation1.gif
    NumberedEquation1.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 400
  • img1401.png
    img1401.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 402
  • img1402.png
    img1402.png
    550 bytes · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
## x=N-\Delta N ##, and ## a=N ##. They also take ## Z_s=e^{ln(Z_s)} ##, and let ## \Delta N=1 ##. And also ## e^{a+b}=e^a e^b ##

Last edited:

1. What is the Fermi-Dirac distribution and what does it represent?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability of finding a particle with a given energy level. It represents the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, in a system.

2. How is the Fermi-Dirac distribution derived?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is derived using statistical mechanics, which uses mathematical principles to describe the behavior of particles in a system. It takes into account the energy levels of the particles, the temperature of the system, and the number of available energy states. The resulting equation is known as the Fermi-Dirac distribution function.

3. What is the misunderstanding surrounding the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

One common misunderstanding is that the Fermi-Dirac distribution represents the actual distribution of particles in a system, when in fact it represents the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state. Another misunderstanding is that the distribution applies to all particles, when it is only applicable to fermions.

4. What are the limitations of the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is only valid for non-interacting particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It also assumes that the particles are in a constant potential and that the energy levels are discrete. In reality, these assumptions may not always hold, and in those cases, the distribution may not accurately describe the behavior of the particles.

5. How is the Fermi-Dirac distribution used in practical applications?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is used in many fields of physics, such as semiconductor physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It is also used in engineering and technology, particularly in the design of electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells. Understanding the distribution of fermions is crucial in these applications and can help predict the behavior of particles in different systems.