Deriving general specific heat capacity formula

In summary: That is very interesting what you mention. Sorry I did quite get the bit I put it italic above. I don't understand the bit about hand waving. Is it still correct what the textbook did?
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1681169914989.png

Dose anybody please know of a better way to derive the formula without having ##c = \frac{\Delta Q}{m \Delta T}## then taking the limit of both sides at ##\Delta T## approaches zero? I thought ##\Delta Q## like ##\Delta W## was not physically meaningful since by definition ##Q## is the heat transfer.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
I thought ##\Delta Q## like ##\Delta W## was not physically meaningful since by definition ##Q## is the heat transfer.
Do you think that ##Q## is physically meaningful?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Do you think that ##Q## is physically meaningful?
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

Yes I do, since it is the quantity of heat transferred.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:

Yes I do, since it is the quantity of heat transferred.

Many thanks!
Well, ##Q##, which is physically meaningful, is not transferred instantaneously all at once but in increments ##\Delta Q##. Why is ##Q## meaningful but not an element ##\Delta Q## that is part of it? BTW, the same reasoning applies to ##\Delta W.##

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Well, ##Q##, which is physically meaningful, is not transferred instantaneously all at once but in increments ##\Delta Q##. Why is ##Q## meaningful but not an element ##\Delta Q## that is part of it? BTW, the same reasoning applies to ##\Delta W.##

So could we think of the heat transferred as the summation of the differential heat elements ##dQ## which I think leads to ##Q = \int dQ##.

However, back to the algebra way of thinking, is the reason why the heat element ##\Delta Q## is not meaningful because it is causes a differential change in the state of the system that can be considered negligible?

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:

So could we think of the heat transferred as the summation of the differential heat elements ##dQ## which I think leads to ##Q = \int dQ##.

However, back to the algebra way of thinking, is the reason why the heat element ##\Delta Q## is not meaningful because it is causes a differential change in the state of the system that can be considered negligible?

Many thanks!
Why do you insist ##\Delta Q## is not meaningful? In post #3 you agreed that it is.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Why do you insist ##\Delta Q## is not meaningful? In post #3 you agreed that it is.

Yeah I guess it is meaningful if we think of it has a differential heat element not as ##Q_f - Q_i## which cannot be true since heat is state variable.

Many thanks!

The specific heats are defined in terms of derivatives of intenal energy or entropy not of heat. And as definitions, they cannot be proven.
The heat is not a function of state so using the derivative of heat in respect to temperature it may be a little hand waving.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
nasu said:
The specific heats are defined in terms of derivatives of intenal energy or entropy not of heat. And as definitions, they cannot be proven.
The heat is not a function of state so using the derivative of heat in respect to temperature it may be a little hand waving.
Thank you for your reply @nasu!

That is very interesting what you mention. Sorry I did quite get the bit I put it italic above. I don't understand the bit about hand waving. Is it still correct what the textbook did?

Many thanks!

1. What is the general formula for specific heat capacity?

The general formula for specific heat capacity (c) is: Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How is the specific heat capacity formula derived?

The specific heat capacity formula is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. By measuring the amount of heat transferred and the change in temperature, we can calculate the specific heat capacity of a substance.

3. What are the units of specific heat capacity?

The units of specific heat capacity are joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) in the SI system, and calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g°C) in the CGS system.

4. How does specific heat capacity differ for different substances?

The specific heat capacity of a substance depends on its molecular structure and composition. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces typically have higher specific heat capacities, meaning they require more energy to change temperature compared to substances with weaker intermolecular forces.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the specific heat capacity formula?

The accuracy of the specific heat capacity formula can be affected by experimental errors, such as heat loss to the surroundings or incomplete data collection. It can also be affected by the state of the substance (solid, liquid, or gas) and any phase changes that may occur during the heating or cooling process.