In summary: That seems to be a very necessary step here. ## \\ ##The alternative is to use simple vectors in one dimension. Instead of calling it ## r ##, let's call it ## x ##, and ## \vec{F}=-\frac{GMm}{r^2} \hat{a}_x ## for ## x>0 ##. (The force points to the left). Then, you will notice that ## \vec{F} \cdot d \vec{x}=-\frac{GMm}{x^2} \, dx ##, ( ## d \vec{x}=dx \, \hat{a}_x ##), and
jl12

Homework Statement

Hi I'm attempting to derive the gravitational potential energy of a point mass (##m##) that's moving from infinity to a point r' inside a gravitational field produced by a another mass ##M##. For simplicity I treated it as a one dimensional case. The problem I get is that the final answer is out by a factor of ##-1##.

Homework Equations

##U=-W## (from Wikipedia about the relation between potential energy and work for a conservative force.)
##F=GMm/(r^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

My incorrect derivation is attached. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0441[1].JPG
    IMG_0441[1].JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
The force and the displacement vector with your parametrisation using r do not point in the same direction.

@jl12 If you write ## \vec F=-\frac{GMm}{r^2} \hat{a}_r ## , then ## \vec{F} \cdot d \vec{r} =-\frac{GMm}{r^2} \, dr ##, because ## dr=\hat{a}_r \cdot d \vec{r} ##. (Note: ## d \vec{r}=dr \,\hat{a}_r+r \, d \theta \, \hat{a}_{\theta}+r \sin{\theta} \, d \phi \, \hat{a}_{\phi} ## in a spherical coordinate system, so that ## \hat{a}_r \cdot \, d \vec{r}=dr ##).

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
The force and the displacement vector with your parametrisation using r do not point in the same direction.
Why is the dr vector in the opposite direction to if I'm taking it from infinity to r'. Surely ##m## is moving to the left? Btw thanks both for the quick reply both of you.

jl12 said:
Why is the dr vector in the opposite direction to if I'm taking it from infinity to r'. Surely ##m## is moving to the left? Btw thanks both for the quick reply both of you.
This one is a little tricky. One thing to notice is that the integral of ## \int \vec{F} \cdot \, d \vec{r} ## needs to be positive because ## \vec{F} ## points along the direction of your path. As it turns out, because you are following a path of decreasing ## r ## in the limits of your integral, the differential ## dr=\Delta r_i ## in your integral ## \int F \, dr=\sum\limits_{i} F_i \, \Delta r_i ## becomes negative, giving your integral ## \int F \, dr ## a negative result. ## \\ ## Alternatively, if you want a very mechanical/methodical approach, see post 3 again.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
This one is a little tricky. One thing to notice is that the integral of ## \int \vec{F} \cdot \, d \vec{r} ## needs to be positive because ## \vec{F} ## points along the direction of your path. As it turns out, because you are following a path of decreasing ## r ## in the limits of your integral, the ## dr=\Delta r_i ## in your integral ## \int F \, dr=\sum\limits_{i} F_i \, \Delta r_i ## becomes negative, giving your integral a negative result.
So when I integrate it I should replace dr with -dr.
Charles Link said:
This one is a little tricky. One thing to notice is that the integral of ## \int \vec{F} \cdot \, d \vec{r} ## needs to be positive because ## \vec{F} ## points along the direction of your path. As it turns out, because you are following a path of decreasing ## r ## in the limits of your integral, the differential ## dr=\Delta r_i ## in your integral ## \int F \, dr=\sum\limits_{i} F_i \, \Delta r_i ## becomes negative, giving your integral ## \int F \, dr ## a negative result.
Charles Link said:
This one is a little tricky. One thing to notice is that the integral of ## \int \vec{F} \cdot \, d \vec{r} ## needs to be positive because ## \vec{F} ## points along the direction of your path. As it turns out, because you are following a path of decreasing ## r ## in the limits of your integral, the differential ## dr=\Delta r_i ## in your integral ## \int F \, dr=\sum\limits_{i} F_i \, \Delta r_i ## becomes negative, giving your integral ## \int F \, dr ## a negative result.
So is the dr always assumed to be positive so when I take the dot product dr is always in the radial direction?

jl12 said:
So when I integrate it I should replace dr with -dr.
That seems to be a very necessary step here. ## \\ ##The alternative is to use simple vectors in one dimension. Instead of calling it ## r ##, let's call it ## x ##, and ## \vec{F}=-\frac{GMm}{r^2} \hat{a}_x ## for ## x>0 ##. (The force points to the left). Then, you will notice that ## \vec{F} \cdot d \vec{x}=-\frac{GMm}{x^2} \, dx ##, ( ## d \vec{x}=dx \, \hat{a}_x ##), and you can get the correct result very mechanically. By this second method, ## dx ## is automatically negative in the integral with the way the limits are input, making ## \int \vec{F} \cdot d \vec{x} ## positive. (You don't need to put in any artificial minus signs).

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
That seems to be a very necessary step here. ## \\ ##The alternative is to use simple vectors in one dimension. Instead of calling it ## r ##, let's call it ## x ##, and ## \vec{F}=-\frac{GMm}{r^2} \hat{a}_x ## for ## x>0 ##. (The force points to the left). Then, you will notice that ## \vec{F} \cdot d \vec{x}=-\frac{GMm}{x^2} \, dx ##, and you can get the correct result very mechanically.
Sorry to keep spamming but just to be clear so when you define dr or dx or whatever as vectors they don't depend on the limits of integration they are just always defined such that they go in the positive (or radial for dr) direction.

Likes Charles Link
That is correct. See also the addition in post 7 that ## d \vec{x}=dx \, \hat{a}_x ##.

Charles Link said:
That is correct. See also the addition in post 7 that ## d \vec{x}=dx \, \hat{a}_x ##.
Oh ok that clears up so much thanks for your support.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is gravitational potential energy and how is it derived?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position within a gravitational field. It is derived by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the object above a reference point.

2. Can a mistake be made when deriving gravitational potential energy?

Yes, a mistake can be made when deriving gravitational potential energy if the mass or height of the object is miscalculated, or if the incorrect value for the acceleration due to gravity is used.

3. How does a mistake in deriving gravitational potential energy affect the final result?

A mistake in deriving gravitational potential energy will result in an incorrect value for the energy. This can lead to errors in calculations and may affect the accuracy of predictions or experiments.

4. How can mistakes in deriving gravitational potential energy be avoided?

Mistakes in deriving gravitational potential energy can be avoided by double-checking calculations, using accurate values for mass and height, and ensuring the correct value for acceleration due to gravity is used for the specific location and object in question.

5. Is it important to accurately derive gravitational potential energy?

Yes, it is important to accurately derive gravitational potential energy as it is a key concept in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in a gravitational field. Mistakes can lead to incorrect conclusions and affect the overall understanding of physical phenomena.