Deriving Hamiltonian in Landau Gauge Using Symmetric Gauge Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of n and ñ, as well as their partial derivatives, in terms of x, y, ∂x, and ∂y. It also mentions the lowering and raising operators, a and a†, and their relation to the Hamiltonian of quantum mechanics. The conversation ends with a discussion about the use of the symmetric gauge in the computation.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

Define n=(x + iy)/(2)½L and ñ=(x - iy)/(2)½L.
Also, ∂n = L(∂x - i ∂y)/(2)½ and ∂ñ = L(∂x + i ∂y)/(2)½.
with ∂n=∂/∂n, ∂x=∂/∂x, ∂y=∂/∂y, and L being the magnetic length.
a=(1/2)ñ+∂n and a=(1/2)n -∂ñ
a and a are the lowering and raising operators of quantum mechanics.

Show that H=ħωc(aa + ½)

Homework Equations

L=ħc/eB, ωc=eB/mc (cyclotron frequency), e for the charge of the electron
H = Px2/2m + ( Py2 + eBx/c )2/2m

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to find x,y,∂x,∂y in terms of n,ñ,∂n,∂ñ. But I ended up getting only some if the right terms to come out but not all, is my first step wrong? Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
shinobi20 said:
H = Px2/2m + ( Py2 + eBx/c )2/2m
Should the exponent "2" of ##P_y## be there?

blue_leaf77 said:
Should the exponent "2" of ##P_y## be there?
Sorry, it was a typo. Do you have any suggestions?

You should post your initial attempt before we can discuss further. In particular, how the old variables look like in terms of the new ones?

blue_leaf77 said:
You should post your initial attempt before we can discuss further. In particular, how the old variables look like in terms of the new ones?
This is what I've done so far. My problem is that everything is there except for the ½. I wrote ∂ for ∂n and ∂(bar) for ∂ñ.

Attachments

• IMG20151220132914.jpg
    IMG20151220132914.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 482
According to this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landau_quantization, the Gauge you should be using is the symmetric gauge and hence the original Hamiltonian should be different than that you are using. For instance, in Landau gauge, the operator ##{y}## is not present.

blue_leaf77 said:
According to this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landau_quantization, the Gauge you should be using is the symmetric gauge and hence the original Hamiltonian should be different than that you are using. For instance, in Landau gauge, the operator ##{y}## is not present.
Why can't I show it using the Landau gauge? The choice is just for simplification of computation right?

shinobi20 said:
Why can't I show it using the Landau gauge? The choice is just for simplification of computation right?
##x## and ##y## appear symmetrically in the gauge transformation, but they do not in the original Hamiltonian.

blue_leaf77 said:
##x## and ##y## appears symmetrically in the gauge transformation, but they do not in the original Hamiltonian.
Oh I see that, then I'll try it again using the symmetric gauge. Thanks!

1. What is the Hamiltonian in Landau gauge?

The Hamiltonian in Landau gauge is a mathematical representation of the energy of a physical system in the Landau gauge of a vector potential. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the dynamics of charged particles in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How is the Hamiltonian in Landau gauge derived?

The Hamiltonian in Landau gauge is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is obtained by substituting the Landau gauge vector potential into the Schrödinger equation and solving for the Hamiltonian operator.

3. What is the physical significance of the Landau gauge?

The Landau gauge is a choice of gauge in which the vector potential is perpendicular to the magnetic field. This gauge is particularly useful for studying the dynamics of charged particles in a magnetic field, as it simplifies the mathematical calculations.

4. How does the Hamiltonian in Landau gauge affect energy levels?

The Hamiltonian in Landau gauge introduces a term known as the Landau level, which represents the energy levels of charged particles in a magnetic field. The energy levels are discrete and depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the properties of the particles.

5. What are some applications of the Hamiltonian in Landau gauge?

The Hamiltonian in Landau gauge is used in various fields, including condensed matter physics, quantum field theory, and quantum information theory. It is particularly useful for studying the effects of magnetic fields on the behavior of particles, such as in the quantum Hall effect and the Aharonov-Bohm effect.