Real Scalar Field, Hamiltonian, Conjugate Momentum

In summary: DIn summary, the conversation discussed the computation of the Hamiltonian using the Lagrange density for a real scalar field in 4-d. It was determined that the conjugate momentum can be computed from the second term of the Lagrange density, and that the one upper and one lower index can be dealt with by using ##g_{\alpha u} \partial ^{\alpha} \phi \partial_{u} \phi = (\partial _{u} \phi )^{2} = (\partial_{0} \phi(x))^{2} - (\partial_{i} \phi(x))^{2} ##. The conversation also touched on the related topic of showing that ##\partial^{u}\alpha(\phi^
binbagsss
## L(x) = L(\phi(x), \partial_{u} \phi (x) ) = -1/2 (m^{2} \phi ^{2}(x) + \partial_{u} \phi(x) \partial^{u} \phi (x))## , the Lagrange density for a real scalar field in 4-d, ##u=0,1,2,3 = t,x,y,z##, below ##i = 1,2,3 =x,y,z##

In order to compute the Hamiltonian I first of all need to compute the conjugate momentum:

## \Pi (t, x) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi (x)}} ##

I can see it's coming from the second term : ##- \partial_{u} \phi(x) \partial^{u} \phi (x)) = - \partial_{0} \phi(x) \partial^{0} \phi (x)) - \partial_{i} \phi(x) \partial^{i} \phi (x)) ##, where I'm only interested in ##\partial_{0} \phi(x) \partial^{0} \phi (x)) ##,

But I'm unsure how to deal with the one upper and one lower index.

The Hamiltonian is ## H = \int d^{3} x \dot{\phi} \Pi - L(t, {x}) = \int d^{3} x (1/2m^{2}\phi^{2} + 1/2( \partial_{i} \phi )^{2} + 1/2\dot{\phi^{2}}) ##

I can see I clearly need to lower an index. So if do ##g_{\alpha u} \partial ^{\alpha} \phi \partial_{u} \phi = (\partial _{u} \phi )^{2} = (\partial_{0} \phi(x))^{2} - (\partial_{i} \phi(x))^{2} ## , I get the correct answer that ##\Pi = \dot{\phi} ##

however then surely I have found ##g_{\alpha u} \Pi ## and subbed in ## g_{\alpha u} L ## in H, as a pose to ##L##

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
## L(x) = L(\phi(x), \partial_{u} \phi (x) ) = -1/2 (m^{2} \phi ^{2}(x) + \partial_{u} \phi(x) \partial^{u} \phi (x))## , the Lagrange density for a real scalar field in 4-d, ##u=0,1,2,3 = t,x,y,z##, below ##i = 1,2,3 =x,y,z##

In order to compute the Hamiltonian I first of all need to compute the conjugate momentum:

## \Pi (t, x) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi (x)}} ##

I can see it's coming from the second term : ##- \partial_{u} \phi(x) \partial^{u} \phi (x)) = - \partial_{0} \phi(x) \partial^{0} \phi (x)) - \partial_{i} \phi(x) \partial^{i} \phi (x)) ##, where I'm only interested in ##\partial_{0} \phi(x) \partial^{0} \phi (x)) ##,

But I'm unsure how to deal with the one upper and one lower index.

The Hamiltonian is ## H = \int d^{3} x \dot{\phi} \Pi - L(t, {x}) = \int d^{3} x (1/2m^{2}\phi^{2} + 1/2( \partial_{i} \phi )^{2} + 1/2\dot{\phi^{2}}) ##

I can see I clearly need to lower an index. So if do ##g_{\alpha u} \partial ^{\alpha} \phi \partial_{u} \phi = (\partial _{u} \phi )^{2} = (\partial_{0} \phi(x))^{2} - (\partial_{i} \phi(x))^{2} ## , I get the correct answer that ##\Pi = \dot{\phi} ##

however then surely I have found ##g_{\alpha u} \Pi ## and subbed in ## g_{\alpha u} L ## in H, as a pose to ##L##

Many thanks in advance.

anyone?

I believe the following is related:

Showing that ##\partial^{u}\alpha(\phi^*\partial_{u}\phi)=\partial_{u}\alpha(\phi^*\partial^{u}\phi) ##

I don't really know how to approach this, since I need to raise one index and lower the other, but they are the same index so I can't use the obvious like ##g_{ab}x^{b}=x_{a}## etc.

it's okay got it :thumbup:, thanks for the help guys

1. What is a real scalar field?

A real scalar field is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe a continuous distribution of a scalar quantity, such as temperature or density, in space and time. It is represented by a function that assigns a scalar value to every point in space and time.

2. What is a Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in classical mechanics to describe the total energy of a physical system. It is defined as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of all particles in the system.

3. How is the Hamiltonian related to the conjugate momentum?

The conjugate momentum is a measure of the momentum of a particle in a particular direction. In classical mechanics, it is defined as the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to the particle's position. In other words, it represents how the Hamiltonian changes as the position of the particle changes.

4. What are the units of the conjugate momentum?

The units of the conjugate momentum depend on the units of the Hamiltonian. In SI units, the Hamiltonian has units of Joules (J), so the conjugate momentum has units of kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

5. How is the Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is used to describe the total energy of a quantum system. It is represented by a mathematical operator that acts on the wave function of the system to calculate its energy. The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian operator correspond to the allowed energy levels of the system.