Deriving perfect fluid energy tensor from point particles

In summary: Is it the constant of proportionality between ##\delta^{ij}## and ##X^{ij}##? It is not even true that ##p## is the same for all particles. Even if it were I think I could write ##p## as a function of ##U^2##, ##\rho## and ##p##.
mjordan2nd

Homework Statement

For a system of discrete point particles the energy momentum takes the form

[tex]T_{\mu \nu} = \sum_a \frac{p_\mu^{(a)}p_\nu^{(a)}}{p^{0(a)}} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}^{(a)}),[/tex]

where the index a labels the different particles. Show that, for a dense collection of particles with isotropically distributed velocities, we can smooth over the individual particle worldlines to obtain the perfect-fluid energy-momentum tensor.

Homework Equations

Energy-momentum tensor of a perfect fluid:

[tex]
T^{\mu \nu} = (\rho + p)U^\mu U^\nu + p \eta^{\mu \nu}
[/tex]

Here rho is the rest-frame energy density, p the isotropic rest-frame pressure, and U the four-velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm not really sure how to approach this problem. I would assume "smooth over" means average, so the only thing I can think of trying is

[tex]
\Delta s = \int \sqrt{\eta_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d \lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d \lambda}} d \! \lambda,
[/tex]

[tex]
T_{\mu \nu} = \frac{1}{\Delta s} \int \sum_a \frac{p_\mu^{(a)}p_\nu^{(a)}}{p^{0(a)}} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}^{(a)}) \sqrt{\eta_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d \lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d \lambda}} d \! \lambda,[/tex]

but I'm not sure how to proceed with this integral, or if this is even the right approach. Can someone help me figure out how to approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's missing is the fact that you have to average the microscopic expression over some "Gibbs ensemble". To get the perfect-fluid equations you have to assume that you are always in local thermal equilibrium, i.e., neglecting all dissipation effects like viscosity and/or heat conduction.

I'm not sure how
vanhees71 said:
some "Gibbs ensemble"
helps...

First I restate the question, then I have reproduced Bobrick's solution along with a critique, then I suggest improvements but some parts are dubious so I would love some help!

Question
"For a system of discrete point particles the energy-momentum tensor takes the form
\begin{align}
T^{\mu\nu}=\sum_{a}{\frac{p^{\mu\left(a\right)}p^{\nu\left(a\right)}}{p^{0\left(a\right)}}\delta^{\left(3\right)}\left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}^{\left(a\right)}\right)}&\phantom {10000}(1)\nonumber
\end{align}where the index ##a## labels the different particles. Show that, for a dense collection of particles with isotropically distributed velocities, we can smooth over the individual particle worldlines to obtain the perfect-fluid energy-momentum tensor 1.114."

'Answer'
1.114 was
\begin{align}
X^{\mu\nu}=\left(\rho+p\right)U^\mu U^\nu+p\eta^{\mu\nu}&\phantom {10000}(2)\nonumber
\end{align}where ##\rho## is the energy density of the fluid measured in its rest frame (rest-frame energy density) and ##p## is the isotropic rest-frame pressure. ##X^{\mu\nu}##, which Carroll wrote ##T^{\mu\nu}##, is the energy-momentum tensor of a fluid element with a four velocity ##U^\mu##. Alexey Bobrick wrote it as ##\mathbf{T}^{\mu\nu}## which is hard in latex, so I use ##X##.

We are going to average (smooth over world lines) (1) over a 4-volume ##\Delta V_4## which is small enough to be treated as a single 'fluid element', which is lots of actual particles. We get
\begin{align}
X^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{\Delta V_4}\int_{\Delta V_4}^{\ }{T^{\mu\nu}dV}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}d^3x^idx^0}\int_{\Delta V_4}^{\ }{T^{\mu\nu}\sqrt{-g}d^3x^idx^0}&\phantom {10000}(3)\nonumber
\end{align}I believe that ##dV=\sqrt{-g}d^3x^idx^0## where ##g## is the determinant of the metric is a well known formula and in this case ##\sqrt{-g}=1##. (The solution just states that ##g## is constant over the volume, which is small). Then, putting in the ##T^{\mu\nu}## from (1), we get
\begin{align}
X^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{d^3x^idx^0}\int_{\Delta V_4}^{\ }{\sum_{a}{\frac{p^{\mu\left(a\right)}p^{\nu\left(a\right)}}{p^{0\left(a\right)}}\delta^{\left(3\right)}\left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}^{\left(a\right)}\right)}d^3x^idx^0}&\phantom {10000}(4)\nonumber
\end{align}now the summation over ##a## is only over particles in ##\Delta V_4## which we consider just having the same four momentum throughout. So we can take it out of the integration. This is questionable. Then there are no ##x^0## terms in the integration and we can take out the ##dx^0## part and cancel it. So we have
\begin{align}
X^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{d^3x^i}\sum_{a}\frac{p^{\mu\left(a\right)}p^{\nu\left(a\right)}}{p^{0\left(a\right)}}\int_{\Delta V_3}^{\ }{\delta^{\left(3\right)}\left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}^{\left(a\right)}\right)d^3x^i}&\phantom {10000}(5)\nonumber
\end{align}the integral is now over the three volume. By definition ##\delta^{\left(3\right)}\left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}^{\left(a\right)}\right)=1## at one point in the volume, so the whole integral is 1 and we simply have
\begin{align}
X^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{d^3x^i}\sum_{a}\frac{p^{\mu\left(a\right)}p^{\nu\left(a\right)}}{p^{0\left(a\right)}}&\phantom {10000}(6)\nonumber
\end{align}which we evaluate component by component. We'll also change ##d^3x^i## to ##d^3x^k## and remember that both just mean ##dxdydz## the volume of the fluid element.
\begin{align}
X^{00}&=\frac{1}{d^3x^k}\sum_{a} p^{0\left(a\right)}\equiv\rho&\phantom {10000}(7)\nonumber\\
X^{i0}&=\frac{1}{d^3x^k}\sum_{a} p^{i\left(a\right)}=0&\phantom {10000}(8)\nonumber
\end{align}"As the sum ##\sum_{a} p^{i\left(a\right)}## of 3-vectors is taken over a macroscopic [fluid element] volume, the result should result in a macroscopic 3-vector. However, if this vector was not zero, it would violate isotropy, which states that there exists no preferable direction. Hence ##X^{i0}=0##."
\begin{align}
X^{ij}&=\frac{1}{d^3x^k}\sum_{a}\frac{p^{i\left(a\right)}p^{j\left(a\right)}}{p^{0\left(a\right)}}&\phantom {10000}(9)\nonumber
\end{align}"As just before, the sum should produce a symmetric macroscopic 3-tensor of second order. But all symmetric 3-tensors are defined by 3 eigenvectors. If eigenvalues are non-degenerate, then there exists 3 preferred directions (3 eigenvectors), if eigenvalues are single degenerate, then there are 2 preferred directions etc. No preferred directions correspond to the case when the matrix has all eigenvalues equal, that is when the matrix is proportional to Kronecker delta. The coefficient of proportionality is the pressure so: ##X^{ij}\equiv p\delta^{ij}##.

Expressing ##\delta^{ij}## as ##\eta^{ij}+U^0U^0## (##U^i## is zero by symmetry considerations, and ##U^0## is hence equal to unity), and ##X^{00}## as ##\rho U^0U^0## , one arrives at the final expression for ##T##."

I have copied Alexey Bobrick's answer for those three equations and it should be clear why we have used ##d^3x^k##

(7) is OK: if we consider the rest frame of the fluid element. ##p^{0\left(a\right)}## is the energy of each particle so the sum is the total energy and when we divide that by the volume we get ##\rho## the rest energy density. The fluid element is at rest, the real particles are not.

(8) is OK in the fluid rest frame at least if we assume that all the particles have the same mass. We know that there is no net movement so the sum of the movement of the particles must cancel out and be zero. I'm not sure how that works if the particles have different masses. The expression for ##X^{0i}## is the same as that for ##X^{i0}## so we do not even need to invoke symmetry, which was manifest from (6).

(9) is trickier. First Bobrick concludes by stating that ##\delta^{ij}=\eta^{ij}+U^0U^0## which is clearly false. Perhaps they meant ##\delta^{ij}=\eta^{ij}+U^iU^j##. I think that makes the rest of it work. The parenthetic statement "##U^i## is zero by symmetry considerations, and ##U^0## is hence equal to unity" is also not true. Fluid elements which all satisfy that are not very interesting! It is true in the fluid element rest frame. Even more problematic is the sudden announcement that pressure ##p## is the constant of proportionality. Why?

Once again we must be thinking of the fluid element rest frame, then we have a chance of extracting ##p## which is the rest frame pressure and is caused by all the real particles jiggling about inside the fluid element. If we do it for the rest frame, it must be true in other frames so we are done.
If we think of just one (moving) particle for the moment (9) becomes
\begin{align}
\frac{1}{d^3x^k}\frac{p^ip^j}{p^0}=\frac{1}{d^3x^k}\frac{m\frac{dx^i}{d\tau}m\frac{dx^j}{d\tau}}{m\frac{dt}{d\tau}}=\frac{1}{d^3x^k}m\frac{dx^idx^j}{dtd\tau}=\frac{dx^j}{dx^i}\frac{1}{dx^kdx^l}m\frac{dx^i}{d\tau dt}&\phantom {10000}(10)\nonumber
\end{align}no summation over ##i##. The last part of that is (almost) the pressure ##q^i## exerted in the ##i## direction (which has an area ##{dx}^k{dx}^l## where ##k,l## are the other two spatial coordinates) divided by the. So we might write that
\begin{align}
\frac{dx^j}{{dx}^i}q^i&\phantom {10000}(11)\nonumber
\end{align}if we could only say that the ##d## is like the partial derivative operator ##\partial## then we would have
\begin{align}
\frac{dx^j}{{dx}^i}q^i=\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^i}q^i=\delta_i^jq^i&\phantom {10000}(12)\nonumber
\end{align}(still no summation over ##i##) which would be perfect. We could add up the pressures of all particles in the fluid element to get the total pressure so
\begin{align}
X^{ij}=\delta_i^jQ^i&\phantom {10000}(13)\nonumber
\end{align}where ##Q^i## is the pressure in the ##i## direction. But by assumption the pressure is uniform so it must be the same in all directions and we can call it ##p##. Further assuming that that was done in the fluid element rest frame, we have the rest frame energy momentum tensor
\begin{align}
X^{\mu\nu}=\left[\begin{matrix}\rho&0&0&0\\0&p&0&0\\0&0&p&0\\0&0&0&p\\\end{matrix}\right]&\phantom {10000}(14)\nonumber
\end{align}and that of course, in the rest frame, is the same as
\begin{align}
X^{\mu\nu}=\left(\rho+p\right)U^\mu U^\nu+p\eta^{\mu\nu}&\phantom {10000}(15)\nonumber
\end{align}and since that is covariant it must also be true in any frame. We are done.

I think the entire problem formulation is dubious. Why should you get perfect-fluid dynamics from a very general formulation? It depends on the material, what you get. It could even be an elastic solid. Then you get something completely different.

Another very simple solution is simply "dust", i.e., matter where interactions are completely negligible. Then you get simply ##T^{\mu \nu} = m c^2 n u^{\mu} u^{\nu}##, where ##n## is the particle-number density in the local rest frame (i.e., a scalar field) and ##u^{\mu}## the (normalized) four-velocity field of the medium.

The energy-momentum tensor for an ideal fluid can be derived by, e.g., considering an ideal gas in local thermal equilibrium, where
$$f(x,\vec{p})=\frac{g}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \exp[-u^{\mu}(x) p_{\mu}(x)/T(x)+\alpha(x)].$$
Then the energy-momentum tensor is evaluated as
$$T^{\mu \nu}(x)= \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 p \frac{p_{\mu} p_{\nu}}{p^0} f(x,\vec{p}),$$
where ##p^0=\sqrt{m^2 c^2+\vec{p}^2}## is the on-shell energy.

Likes George Keeling
vanhees71 said:
I think the entire problem formulation is dubious.
I will let Carroll know and not spend any more time on this 😂

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and vanhees71

1. What is a perfect fluid energy tensor?

A perfect fluid energy tensor is a mathematical representation of the energy and momentum distribution of a fluid with no internal friction or viscosity. It describes how energy and momentum are distributed in a fluid at a given point in space and time.

2. What are point particles?

Point particles are theoretical objects that are considered to have no size or structure, and are treated as mathematical points. They are often used in physics to simplify calculations and models.

3. How is the perfect fluid energy tensor derived from point particles?

The perfect fluid energy tensor is derived using the equations of motion for point particles, specifically the energy-momentum conservation equation. This equation is then solved for the energy and momentum components of the fluid at a given point in space and time.

4. What is the significance of deriving the perfect fluid energy tensor from point particles?

Deriving the perfect fluid energy tensor from point particles allows us to understand the macroscopic behavior of a fluid based on the microscopic behavior of its individual particles. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the fluid in different situations.

5. How is the perfect fluid energy tensor used in physics?

The perfect fluid energy tensor is used in various areas of physics, such as cosmology, fluid dynamics, and general relativity. It helps to describe the behavior of fluids in different physical systems, such as in the study of the early universe or in modeling the flow of air or water. It is also used in the study of black holes and other astrophysical phenomena.