Deriving S(T,V) for an ideal gas

In summary, the ideal gas equation states that:-U=S(T,V)-where S is a function of T, V, N and kB-S is a function of T, V, and N
DRose87

Homework Statement

Given: Ideal gas equations:
Find S(T,V) for an ideal gas

Homework Equations

Ideal gas equations:
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{\rm{}}\\
U = \frac{3}{2}N{k_B}{\left( {\frac{N}{V}} \right)^{2/3}}\exp \left[ {\frac{S}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}} - {s_0}} \right]{\rm{ }}\\
T = {\left( {\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial S}}} \right)_{V,N}} = \frac{U}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}}\\
\\
{\rm{Find: }}\\
{\rm{S = S}}\left( {T,V} \right){\rm{ }}\\
\\\end{array}[/tex] for an ideal gas

The answer, according to the book (David Goodstein's new book "Thermal Physics: Energy and Entropy")
[tex]S = \frac{2}{3}N{k_B}\log T{\left( {\frac{V}{N}} \right)^{2/3}} + {s_0} = S\left( {T,V} \right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the answer given in the book is correct and I'm missing something, or if it is an error.
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\\
U = \frac{3}{2}N{k_B}{\left( {\frac{N}{V}} \right)^{2/3}}\exp \left[ {\frac{S}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}} - {s_0}} \right]{\rm{ }}\\
T = {\left( {\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial S}}} \right)_{V,N}} = \frac{U}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}} = \frac{{\frac{3}{2}N{k_B}{{\left( {\frac{N}{V}} \right)}^{2/3}}\exp \left[ {\frac{S}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}} - {s_0}} \right]}}{{\frac{3}{2}N{k_B}}}\\
= {\left( {\frac{N}{V}} \right)^{2/3}}\exp \left[ {\frac{S}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}} - {s_0}} \right]\\
\exp \left[ {\frac{S}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}} - {s_0}} \right] = \frac{T}{{{{\left( {\frac{N}{V}} \right)}^{2/3}}}} = T{\left( {\frac{V}{N}} \right)^{2/3}}\\
\frac{S}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}} - {s_0} = \log \left[ {T{{\left( {\frac{V}{N}} \right)}^{2/3}}} \right]\\
\frac{S}{{\left( {3/2} \right)N{k_B}}} = \log \left[ {T{{\left( {\frac{V}{N}} \right)}^{2/3}}} \right] + {s_0}\\
S = \frac{3}{2}N{k_B}\log \left[ {T{{\left( {\frac{V}{N}} \right)}^{2/3}}} \right] + \frac{3}{2}N{k_B}{s_0}\\
\\
\\

\end{array}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Book is a typo.

I like David Stroud's treatment https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~stroud/p846/idealgas.pdf (more https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~stroud/p846/p846notes3.pdf, etc.)

Likes DRose87
Thanks BvU and robphy for your opinions and the links you both postsed. I agree that it is a typo. It is kind of funny that this is actually the first problem in the book and there is a typo. I hope that the rest of the book isn't plagued by errors... fortunately if that turns out to be the case, my class is using a different book, Classical Statistical Thermodynamics by Ashley Carter.

Last edited:
Goodstein has a mail address; I'm sure he'll appreciate if you point out stuff he can improve for the next edition !

Related to Deriving S(T,V) for an ideal gas

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the behavior of a hypothetical gas that follows certain assumptions, such as having particles with negligible volume and no interactions with each other.

2. How is S(T,V) derived for an ideal gas?

The entropy of an ideal gas can be derived using statistical mechanics principles, assuming that the gas particles have a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of velocities and that the volume is constant. This leads to the equation S(T,V) = Nk[ln(V/N) + 5/2], where N is the number of particles, k is the Boltzmann constant, and ln is the natural logarithm.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving S(T,V) for an ideal gas?

The derivation of S(T,V) for an ideal gas assumes that the gas particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other, that the gas is in thermal equilibrium, and that the gas follows the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of velocities.

4. How does S(T,V) vary with temperature and volume for an ideal gas?

The entropy of an ideal gas increases with temperature and volume. This is because as the temperature increases, the particles have more energy and can explore a larger volume, leading to a higher number of possible microstates and therefore a higher entropy. Similarly, as the volume increases, the particles have more space to move around, increasing the number of possible microstates and the entropy.

5. Can the ideal gas law be applied to real gases?

The ideal gas law is an approximation that is accurate for most gases at low pressures and high temperatures. However, it does not take into account the interactions between gas particles and the volume occupied by the particles themselves. Therefore, it becomes less accurate for real gases at high pressures and low temperatures. In these cases, other equations of state, such as the van der Waals equation, must be used.