Deriving the magnitude range of the force F for which van does not tip over

In summary, van will tip over if either 2n(1) or 2n(2) are used in place of n(1) and n(2), respectively.
anmsstu
Homework Statement
The van is on an inclined plane (inclined by angle α) and has weight W. Wheels are distance 2d apart, COM is vertical distance h from inclined plane surface and parallel-to-plane distance d from both wheels and horizontal force acts through C. The van is stationary.

The first part of the question assumes both normal reaction forces on the wheels are equal and thus by taking the moment about COM the sum of frictional forces is zero.

The problem (second part of the question) asks to show for F such that van doesn't tip over :
W*tan⁡(β-α) ≤ F ≤ W*tan⁡(α+β) with tan⁡(β)=d/h, W = mg
where normal reaction forces on wheels are not necessarily equal.
Relevant Equations
tan⁡(β)=d/h
M = r×F
Okay so I'm not quite sure about the normal reaction forces. The condition is that they are both equal for the sum of frictional forces to be zero but then technically when substituting into the number equations in place of [ n(1) + n(2) ] either 2n(1) or 2n(2) makes me confused as then n(1) does not equal n(2) which would mean you cannot get rid of f(1) + f(2)? Unless f(1) + f(2) = 0 in all cases where van doesn't tip over. But then wouldn't that imply that if we have 2n(1) or 2n(2) then it will tip over? But this is the correct approach supposedly. Also I'm guessing 2n(`1) and 2n(2) are like the extremes of normal contact force at one wheel or the other which enable you to find the range for magnitude of F. I don't think I understand.
PLAS (2).jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
anmsstu said:
COM is vertical distance h from inclined plane surface.
I think you mean it is the distance from the surface, not the vertical distance from it.
anmsstu said:
The first part of the question assumes both normal reaction forces on the wheels are equal and thus by taking the moment about COM the sum of frictional forces is zero.
It took me a while to realize you had left out of the problem statement that there is a horizontal force F applied at the COM; centrifugal perhaps.
I think you mean the sum of frictional torques is zero. The forces would be equal and opposite.

It will be a lot simpler if you consider the two cases separately. When F is weak, which way might it tip? What do you know about the normal forces when about to tip?

By the way, your diagram is a bit misleading for the purposes of the left hand inequality. The vertical through C should be to the left of the leftward wheel.

Last edited:
Likes anmsstu
haruspex said:
I think you mean the sum of frictional torques is zero. The forces would be equal and opposite.
Ah yeah ofc! : 0 Okay now I can visualise it and see that it's not dependent on the normal reaction forces being equal. Thank You :)

1. What is the force F and how does it affect the tipping of the van?

The force F is the external force acting on the van, which can be caused by factors such as uneven terrain, wind, or acceleration/deceleration. It affects the tipping of the van by exerting a torque on the van, which can cause it to tip over if it exceeds a certain magnitude.

2. How do you determine the magnitude range of the force F for which the van does not tip over?

This can be determined through a calculation of the van's center of mass, the distance between the center of mass and the point of contact with the ground, and the maximum torque the van can withstand before tipping. By considering these factors, a range of force magnitudes can be determined in which the van will not tip over.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude range of the force F?

The magnitude range of the force F can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the van's load, the height and width of the van, the condition of the tires, and the surface on which the van is driving. These factors can alter the van's center of mass and therefore impact the tipping point.

4. Can the magnitude range of the force F be determined experimentally?

Yes, the magnitude range of the force F can be determined experimentally by conducting tests with different force magnitudes and observing the tipping behavior of the van. However, this method may not be as accurate as a calculated range, as it does not take into account all possible variables and scenarios.

5. How can the magnitude range of the force F be applied in real-life situations?

The magnitude range of the force F can be used in real-life situations such as designing and testing vehicles, determining safe weight limits for cargo transportation, and creating guidelines for driving on various terrains. It can also be used in conjunction with other factors to ensure the stability and safety of objects or structures that are prone to tipping.