Deriving the moment of inertia of solid sphere

In summary, the conversation was about deriving moments of inertia for objects like a disk or rod and trying to apply the same method to a sphere. However, it was pointed out that this method does not work for a sphere and that the sphere needs to be broken up into incremental masses in order to properly calculate the moment of inertia.
Arisylia
So i was going through derivations of moments of inertia of objects. For objects like the disk and rod, i was able to assume a relationship between mass and volume and integrate From there like
$$ \frac{d_m}{m} = \frac{dl}{l} \\ d_m = \frac{dl*m}{l} \\ \int_{0}^{L}r^2\frac{dl*m}{l} \\ \frac{ml^2}{3}
$$
thats for a rod on its end point.
i tried doing something similar with a sphere
$$ \frac{d_m}{m} = \frac{4\pi r^2 dr}{\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3} \\ d_m = \frac{4 r^2 dr*m}{\frac{4}{3} R^3} \\ \int_{0}^{R}r^2\frac{4 r^2 dr*m}{\frac{4}{3} R^3} \\ \frac{3mR^2}{5}
$$
but its supposed to be 2/5mr^2
i don't know if its because i can't apply this method or because i screwed something up. I looked at the derivation using the slices but I'm still curious about this.

Thanks for the help.
(its my first post here, sorry if I am missing some part of etiquette or anything ! not sure if this is intermediate or basic?)

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertial is not ##\int_0^R r^2dm##, as implied by the above. The incremental mass ##dm## is a thin spherical shell, which is not all at the same distance (radius) from the axis of rotation. Hence the integrand does not represent the momentum of inertia of that shell.

You need to set up an integration in which the solid sphere is split up into a series of incremental masses for which you know the moment of inertia. If you know the moment of inertia of a spherical shell, you can use the above approach and replace the integrand by the MoI of a spherical shell of radius ##r## (which is in the list here). Otherwise you need to split the sphere up a different way, eg as a stack of discs.

Last edited:

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution of an object and its axis of rotation.

How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5) * mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius. This formula assumes that the sphere has a uniform density.

Why is the moment of inertia of a solid sphere different from that of a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is greater than that of a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is distributed farther from the axis of rotation in a solid sphere, resulting in a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion.

Can the moment of inertia of a solid sphere change?

No, the moment of inertia of a solid sphere does not change unless there is a change in mass, shape, or axis of rotation. It is a constant value for a given object.

How is the moment of inertia of a solid sphere useful in physics?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is useful in various physics applications, such as calculating the rotational kinetic energy of an object or predicting its rotational motion. It is also an important factor in understanding the stability and dynamics of rotating objects.