Should the Wave Equation for a Longitudinal Wave Include Time?

In summary: a lot.in summary, the equation for a longitudinal wave is dψ= (∂ψ/∂x) dx + (∂ψ/∂t) dt , where ψ is a function of x and t and acceleration is always involved.
dyn
Hi.
I am working through " A Student's guide to waves " by Fleisch. In deriving the wave equation for a longitudinal wave it uses
dψ = (∂ψ/∂x) dx

where ψ is the displacement but ψ is a function of x and t ; so shouldn't this equation be
dψ = (∂ψ/∂x) dx + (∂ψ/∂t) dt

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking you are correct. However, in these derivations one takes a snapshot of the wave at some particular instant and analyzes perhaps a free body diagram of a piece of the medium. (I assume this is the kind of derivation you are looking at.) So "time" is frozen, and one considers the spatial variation only.

thanks. It does look like a snapshot taken at a particular time but it also involves acceleration taken as ∂2ψ/∂t2 so it looks like when its convenient t is taken as a constant and when its convenient t is not a constant !

Acceleration is always involved in the use of a FBD the purpose of which is the apply Newton's 2nd Law. Snapshots of the wave at different times will yield the same equation m(d2ψ/dt2 )= Fnet. Think of d2ψ/dt2 as "acceleration" not as an instruction to you to take the second time derivative and apply the chain rule as you do so.

in this case I'm following a derivation from a book but in general if I'm faced with a function of 2 or more variables I would always apply the chain rule. How would I know when this is not to be applied ?

dyn said:
How would I know when this is not to be applied ?
It depends on the context, what you are doing and where you are going with it. For example, if you write ##r^2=x^2+y^2##, then
$$d(r^2)=\frac{\partial (x^2)}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial (y^2)}{\partial y}dy=2xdx+2ydy$$
You can see what this is saying: when you move in a general direction both ##x## and ##y## change. However, if you move along only one of the independent variables, say ##x## only, then ##dy=0##. Similarly here, when you "freeze" time to study the FBD of the string segment, it is implied that ##dt=0## because you "move" along independent variable ##x## only when you consider ##d\psi##.

Likes dyn
thank you. That helps

What is the wave equation?

The wave equation describes the behavior of waves in a medium, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves. It is a mathematical equation that relates the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, to the speed and wavelength of the wave.

How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation can be derived using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law. It involves considering small elements of the medium and analyzing the forces acting on them to determine the equation that governs the motion of the waves.

What is the significance of the wave equation?

The wave equation is a fundamental equation in physics, and it has many practical applications. It helps us understand the behavior of waves in different media and can be used to predict the motion and properties of waves in various situations.

What are the assumptions made in deriving the wave equation?

The derivation of the wave equation relies on certain assumptions, such as the medium being homogeneous and isotropic, and the amplitude of the wave being small. These assumptions may not hold true in all situations, but they allow us to simplify the equation and make it more applicable in many cases.

How is the wave equation used in real-world scenarios?

The wave equation is used in a variety of fields, including acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. For example, it can help us understand how sound waves travel through air or how light waves propagate through different materials. It is also essential in technologies such as ultrasound imaging and radar systems.