My Epic Fail at Deriving an Equation with Lagrange

In summary, the equation that models the velocity of the charge allowed to move after it is released from rest is found to be $$v = \sqrt{\frac{2k q_1 q_2}{mr}}$$.
Arm
Homework Statement
Two positive charges are placed one meter away from eachother. One is held in place and one is allowed to move. Find an equation that models the velocity of the charge allowed to move after it is released from rest.
Relevant Equations
$$KE = \frac{mv^2}{2}$$
$$U_E= \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r}$$
$$L = KE - PE$$
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} ( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x} ) = 0$$
Here is my epic fail at trying to derive the equation using Lagrange (this was my first time trying to use lagrangian mechanics except for when I memorized the derivation for a pendulum)
$$L = \frac{m \dot r^2}{2} - \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r}$$
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial r} = \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r^2}$$
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot r} = m \dot r$$
$$\frac{d}{dt} ( m \dot r ) = m \ddot r$$
$$\frac{k q_1 q_2}{r^2} - m \ddot r = 0$$
$$\ddot r = \frac{k q_1 q_2}{m r^2}$$
$$\dot r = \int \frac{k q_1 q_2}{m r^2}dr = \frac{2 k q_1 q_2}{mr}$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arm said:
Homework Statement:: Two positive charges are placed one meter away from eachother. One is held in place and one is allowed to move. Find an equation that models the velocity of the charge allowed to move after it is released from rest.
Relevant Equations:: $$KE = \frac{mv^2}{2}$$
$$U_E= \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r}$$
$$L = KE - PE$$
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} ( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x} )$$
The last line needs to be completed as an equation.

Arm said:
$$L = \frac{m \dot r^2}{2} - \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r}$$
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial r} = \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r^2}$$
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot r} = m \dot r$$
$$\frac{d}{dt} ( m \dot r ) = m \ddot r$$
$$\frac{k q_1 q_2}{r^2} + m \ddot r = 0$$
$$\ddot r = \frac{-k q_1 q_2}{m r^2}$$
OK.

Arm said:
$$\dot r = \int \frac{k q_1 q_2}{m r^2} = \frac{2 k q_1 q_2}{mr}$$
What is the variable of integration for the integral shown after the first = sign? It needs to be the same variable of integration that you used to get from ##\ddot r## to ##\dot r##.

Arm said:
$$\frac{k q_1 q_2}{r^2} + m \ddot r = 0$$
$$\ddot r = \frac{-k q_1 q_2}{m r^2}$$
These two equation have a sign error.

TSny said:
The last line needs to be completed as an equation
TSny said:
What is the variable of integration for the integral shown after the first = sign? It needs to be the same variable of integration that you used to get from r¨ to r˙.
fixed and fixed, thank you
But I pulled the dr out of nowhere, I don't know if this is allowed

TSny said:
These two equation have a sign error.
also fixed, thank you

OK. So you have ##\ddot r = \large \frac b {r^2}##, where ##b## is a constant. If I integrate both sides with respect to time, I get ##\dot r = \int \frac b {r^2} dt + C##, where ##C## is a constant of integration. The integral on the right is integrated with respect to time. We can't do this integral because we don't know ##r## as a function of time.

Go back to ##\ddot r = \large \frac b {r^2}##. There is a trick you can do. Multiply both sides by ##\dot r## to get $$\ddot r \dot r = \large \frac b {r^2} \dot r$$ which may be written as $$v \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac b {r^2} \frac {dr}{dt}$$ where ##v = \dot r##. Multiply both sides by ##dt## and proceed.

Likes vanhees71
TSny said:
OK. So you have ##\ddot r = \large \frac b {r^2}##, where ##b## is a constant. If I integrate both sides with respect to time, I get ##\dot r = \int \frac b {r^2} dt + C##, where ##C## is a constant of integration. The integral on the right is integrated with respect to time. We can't do this integral because we don't know ##r## as a function of time.

Go back to ##\ddot r = \large \frac b {r^2}##. There is a trick you can do. Multiply both sides by ##\dot r## to get $$\ddot r \dot r = \large \frac b {r^2} \dot r$$ which may be written as $$v \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac b {r^2} \frac {dr}{dt}$$ where ##v = \dot r##. Multiply both sides by ##dt## and proceed.

$$v \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac b {r^2} \frac {dr}{dt}$$
$$v {\:} dv = \frac{b}{r^2} \frac{dr}{dt}dt$$
$$\int v {\:} dv = \int \frac{b}{r^2} v {\:} dt$$
Not sure how I would take an integral with position and with velocity in it

Arm said:
$$v \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac b {r^2} \frac {dr}{dt}$$
$$v {\:} dv = \frac{b}{r^2} \frac{dr}{dt}dt$$
$$\int v {\:} dv = \int \frac{b}{r^2} v {\:} dt$$
Not sure how I would take an integral with position and with velocity in it
Note that ## \frac{dr}{dt}dt = dr##

• Wow
Likes Arm
TSny said:
Note that ## \frac{dr}{dt}dt = dr##
$$ \int v {\:} dv = \int \frac{b}{r^2} v {\:} dt $$
$$ \int v {\:} dv = \int \frac{b}{r^2} \frac{dr}{dt} {\:} dt $$
$$ \int v {\:} dv = \int \frac{b}{r^2} dr$$
$$ \frac{v^2}{2} = \frac{-b}{r}$$
$$ b = \frac{-k q_1 q_2}{m} $$
$$ \frac{v^2}{2} = \frac{(-)(-)k q_1 q_2}{mr}$$
$$ v^2 = \frac{2k q_1 q_2}{mr}$$
$$ v = \sqrt{\frac{2k q_1 q_2}{mr}}$$
I think this is the correct final answer

Arm said:
$$ \int v {\:} dv = \int \frac{b}{r^2} dr$$
$$ \frac{v^2}{2} = \frac{-b}{r}$$
Does the second equation above satisfy the initial condition: ##v = 0## when ##r = 1## m?

Arm said:
$$ b = \frac{-k q_1 q_2}{m} $$
Check to see if the sign is correct.

TSny said:
Does the second equation above satisfy the initial condition: ##v = 0## when ##r = 1## m?Check to see if the sign is correct.
I think the sign is correct

Arm said:
In post #6 we defined ##b## such that ##\ddot r = \large \frac b {r^2}##.

In post #1 you have ##\ddot r = \large \frac{k q_1 q_2}{mr^2}##

TSny said:
Check to see if the sign is correct.
Arm said:
I see where I made the mistake sign now
TSny said:
Does the second equation above satisfy the initial condition: v=0 when r=1 m?
Ignoring variable of integration and +C for the umpteenth time has gotten me the wrong answer yet again; when will I learn my lesson?
Here's the actual correct answer

$$v^2 = \frac{-2k q_1 q_2}{mr} + C$$
The particle is released from rest ##x## meters away from the other particle. Velocity is 0 at this moment
$$0^2 = \frac{-2k q_1 q_2}{mx} + C$$
$$ C = \frac{2k q_1 q_2}{mx}$$
$$v^2 = \frac{-2k q_1 q_2}{mr} + \frac{2k q_1 q_2}{mx}$$
$$v^2 = \frac{2k q_1 q_2}{mx} - \frac{2k q_1 q_2}{mr}$$

General solution:
$$v = \sqrt{ \frac{2 k q_1 q_2}{m}( \frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{r} ) }$$

If x = 1 then r also = 1 so
$$v = \sqrt{ \frac{2 k q_1 q_2}{m}( \frac{1}{1} - \frac{1}{1} ) }$$
$$v = \sqrt{ \frac{2 k q_1 q_2}{m}( 1 - 1 ) }$$
$$v = \sqrt{ \frac{2 k q_1 q_2}{m}( 0 ) }$$
$$v = 0$$

Thanks for all the help!

Likes TSny
Looks good. Of course using energy conservation is a quick way to get the answer. But it’s a good exercise using the Lagrangian approach.

Likes Arm
Well, the Lagrangian approach also tells you to use symmetry principles, which are most effectively formulated using the action principle. Since ##\partial_t L=0## you know that ##H=p_r \dot{r}-L=\text{const}##. Using the general principles of the action formalism saves a lot of work!

Likes Arm
vanhees71 said:
Well, the Lagrangian approach also tells you to use symmetry principles, which are most effectively formulated using the action principle. Since ##\partial_t L=0## you know that ##H=p_r \dot{r}-L=\text{const}##. Using the general principles of the action formalism saves a lot of work!
I have no idea what that means because I'm taking the equilivent of general college physics 2 right now but I'll look into it; if you have a recommended resource I'll read/watch it.

I don't know, what "general college physics 2" includes. You need a good grasp of multivariate calculus to understand variational calculus and the Hamilton-Lagrange formalism of mechanics. A standard introductory textbook is Goldstein, Mechanics, but it must be the older 2nd edition. The newer editions are spoiled by some authors thinking it would need some "modernization" ;-)).

Likes Arm

What is Lagrange's equation and why is it important?

Lagrange's equation is a mathematical tool used to describe the motion of particles or systems in classical mechanics. It is important because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as planetary motion or the motion of a pendulum.

What are the steps for deriving an equation with Lagrange?

The steps for deriving an equation with Lagrange are as follows: 1) Identify the system and its constraints, 2) Define the system's kinetic and potential energies, 3) Write the Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energies, 4) Use the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the equations of motion for each coordinate, and 5) Solve the equations to obtain the desired equation.

What are some common mistakes when deriving an equation with Lagrange?

Some common mistakes when deriving an equation with Lagrange include: not correctly identifying the system and its constraints, incorrect definitions of kinetic and potential energies, errors in writing the Lagrangian function, and mistakes in solving the equations of motion.

What are some tips for successfully deriving an equation with Lagrange?

To successfully derive an equation with Lagrange, it is important to have a clear understanding of the system and its constraints, accurately define the kinetic and potential energies, carefully write the Lagrangian function, and double-check all steps for errors. It can also be helpful to practice with simpler systems before attempting more complex ones.

What are some real-world applications of Lagrange's equation?

Lagrange's equation has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to study the motion of celestial bodies, analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, and model the behavior of fluids and gases. It is also used in the development of control systems for machines and vehicles.